cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

South Dakota Insurance Increase

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
I have my 2000 F-350 insured through Geico. I just received my renewal notice and the premium increase was 60+ percent. When I questioned it, I was told that because of the high cost of serious accident injuries and auto repairs across the state, an increase was deemed necessary. Sixty percent seems extreme to me. Has anyone else experienced this or are they just giving me a line?
14 REPLIES 14

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We used Dougherty Insurance in Sioux Falls SD. We have Progressive - full-timers policy on our motorhome, our jeep and motorcycles. Have had it since 2015 and just had our 2nd renewal last month. Our rates went down in year #2 and this year went up by less than $10. We are very happy with our experience so far.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
JimR 1 wrote:
Kountryguy wrote:
Can anyone recommend an agent to go through in SD. ?

Daniel David Dougherty
Dougherty & Associates Inc
3704 S West Port Ave
Sioux Falls, SD 57106
(605) 361-6318
danjohn@doughertyassoc.net

JimR

This is who I have been with since '03

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
JimR 1 wrote:
Kountryguy wrote:

Daniel David Dougherty
3704 S West Port Ave
Sioux Falls, SD 57106
(605) 361-6318

JimR
Farm Bureau, State Farm. Any agent. My insurance costs for TV & 5er are under $ 400/ yr for full coverage with 1 million liability and $250 deductible with Farm Bureau. State Farm is comparable. Hot springs SD has the lowest incidence of accidents and hail damage which could affect rates.
Max

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Serious accidents and insurance rate increases in SD could be a result of the increased maximum speed limits of 80MPH on some roads.

Not matter what the maximum speed limit is, many drivers insist on exceeding it! Unfortunately we all pay for their ignorant stupidity, either monetarily or worse, as innocent crash victims.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Kountryguy wrote:

Daniel David Dougherty
3704 S West Port Ave
Sioux Falls, SD 57106
(605) 361-6318

JimR

clarkster
Explorer
Explorer
Progressive told me after I complained of a rate increase, it was due to the ever rising costs of accident injuries.

Even with the increase, they still beat the run of the mill firms...State Farm, Prudential, Nationwide and Allstate......by $200 clams every six months.
2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 Laramie crew CTD
2017 Jayco Flight SLX Baja package

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
Actually in most states rates are "approved and regulated" by the State's Insurance Commission. Doesn't mean it is "needed" or justified - just that they talked some bureaucrat into it. I know our homeowners and auto insurance in Texas went up after Hurricane Ike based on the statewide loss and we didn't live anywhere near the coast or have any losses personally. I'd shop for another plan carrier if I were you.
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

sgip2000
Explorer
Explorer
Insurance companies are as bad as the IRS!

Just got my renewal and of our 4 vehicles, the one that is the lightest, has the smallest engine, and could cause the least amount of damage has the highest liability rates of all of them vehicles.

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
Switched to National General a few years ago from Progressive after a hefty rate increase. This year National General had a 35% rate increase. Went back to Progressive for 15% less than the pre-increase rate from National General. We are based out of SD also.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer

DanNJanice
Explorer
Explorer
Their response is a bunch of hooey! They are just lying to you.
Creeping up rates is stand practice for all insurance companies now. They know that consumers don't like change, and will put up with increasing rates, as long as they do not go up too much.
Since you already contacted them and they lied to you, just send out quotes and change companies, that is all you can do.
2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 F250 PSD

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
I have said for a long time that I believe insurance companies are licensed thieves.

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
I had GEICO for 29 years, every year the rates went up. Then I sold the RV and the rate went down over $100/year (down to three cars) then came renewal time rate jumped up over $150/year, same three cars. I dumped them and went with another carrier. GEICO called me the next day stating they had a rate decrease for the state and if I came back to them I could get the insurance cheaper than the other company offered. I told them NO.

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
That's geico just like progressive they do huge increases for no reason