cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fuse or breaker for steps?

dquick48
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone tell me where the fuse or breaker is for steps on a 1998 Jayco Eagle 267F motorhome?
I have spent all morning looking thru manual and every place I can think of.
8 REPLIES 8

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Copy That Michael. I've come to the same conclusion. I think I have at least one of the plugs the motor uses. Seems time to check. Could be a worthwhile extra ounce in my toolbox.
Have you found the main step power source on your Jayco?
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
On our Jayco Greyhawk (in signature), the motor for the steps failed. I followed the troubleshooting procedure in the Kwikee #888 manual. I bought the 4 pin test connector pigtail. If you disconnect the 4 pin connector, there is no power to the motor. The only fuses I found for the steps were the inline fuses near the steps.

If I had to do it again, I would test the motor first. The 4 pin test connector cost me $25 and didn't tell me anything since the motor was dead. The control board can't be ruled out as the problem until the motor is ruled out.

I wasn't able to get my voltmeter probes onto the motor's power connector, I just could not make a solid connection. I don't have a test light. I ended up cutting the 2 wires and used bullet connectors to put them back together. I confirmed the motor was dead and replaced it.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
OH, There's a two-wire connector that powers only the Motor. Hard to see upside down in the dark in a black corner of the steps base. But it'd be possible to rig a Test Light, pull that plug to the Motor and connect the Light.

And... rig a connector to a long test wire to try running the MOTOR and be away from the mechanism doing it.

WARNING!!! Kwikee Control Module backs the power off the Motor when the step stops "hard" in either direction. Test Wire does NOT, and the Motor will burn out if the Test Power is left connected!

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
cgmartine wrote:
If I recall, one of the wires going to the control module had an inline fuse.

Correct recall. Ours has two of the ATO type fuses in shielded in-line holders. I pulled both, and that kept the step from cycling in/out like an OP has in another recent Kwikee thread.

I knew they weren't "motor power" since they were only 5A each. Also didn't notice that four-wire plug, which does carry the main power feed to the step.

cgmartine
Explorer
Explorer
I recently did some work in my steps. If I recall, one of the wires going to the control module had an inline fuse. You will need to get under the motorhome, close to the steps. Remove the cotter pin to the steps so that they do not activate and crush you. If you are having problems, like someone said, you can follow the diagnosing procedures on the manual, which you can download from the Internet.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Breaker is 20 Amps. Feeds a 12 GA Red Wire into the Four-Way Connector.

If you're going to work on it, you may need the Kwikee Manual #875.
Newer steps use Manual #888.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering about ours, see signature. Since you asked, thought I'd go figure it out.

It's powered by the House Battery, so the Battery Disconnect has to be ON. On ours, there's a Auto Reset Breaker, next to the Battery Isolator Solenoid, near the Master Cylinder under the Hood. Mounted right where the rear edge of the Hood closes. If you need a picture, I'll go take one. PM me a mobile number and I can text it to you.

To simply disconnect the Step to work on it, there's a four-wire connector very near the step itself.

My Standard Warning: BE VERY CAREFUL AROUND THIS THING! It moves faster than you'd think and it has TONS of Torque. Sucker can Hurt You.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
You may have to trace the wires some. Are these automatic steps, or simply manually controlled electric steps? Especially if automatic, they are frequently wired to the chassis battery rather than the house battery.

On my (non-Jayco) motorhome, there is a separate breaker (powered by the house battery) for the steps that does not go through the coach disconnect switch, located near the batteries under the steps. That kind of makes sense since extending or retracting the steps is sometimes wanted after setting things up for storage.