cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need info on HiLo trailers

jimx200
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I camped next to a HiLo trailer last week in N. California and were very impressed with it. The couple had a 2007 and if memory serves me, I believe it was a 18'? Possibly shorter. They towed it with a Toyota Land Cruiser and said it handled it well do to lower wind resistance and overall weight. We have a 1999 Class C and while we really like it, it's impossible to haul our 15' and 16' hard shell kayaks. We carry 2 high end inflatables and a inflatable paddleboard, but miss the hard shells. Gas mileage on the beast is 10mpg on a good day with the V10 beast. With the HiLo, they had a kayak rack on their HiLo roof and it felt solid. That said, I'm a bit nervous about tapping into any roof. We could carry the kayaks on a suv or pickup which is probably a better alternative.

Love to hear some likes/dislikes from users.
21 REPLIES 21

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
If it is a collapsible RV you are looking for the TM is definitely the high end. We almost bought an A-Liner with dormers but it was just to small.

Our camping needs were simple, a bed you could exit without crawling over your spouse, a full bathroom, pantry and closet space. In exchange for an extra 5 mpg, less wind bumps and ease of storage, we opted for the ability to stop on the road for lunch and camp overnight without unhitching or setting up.

This opened up a world of used TTs, and the savings can buy a lot of gas.

Still, like the Airstream TTs, a Trial Manor is a premium trailer that one can be proud to own. Especially if it fills your specific camping needs.

To the OPs point, we could not find a Hi-Lo anywhere at the time we were looking.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Fireballsocal
Explorer
Explorer
I believe it was an aluminum sheet roof that was contacting with nail heads below on the wooden frame, causing galvanic corrosion.

astro-hilo
Explorer
Explorer
I had one for ten years, solid design no problems with the lift system.The weak spot in the later model years were their roofs. They have a problem using with using two different types of metal.They reacted with each other and would cause at first pin holes to appear then eventually the roof would rot off.

moresmoke
Explorer
Explorer
My parents had a Trailmanor when I was young. We never went that far and usually stayed a few days, so the setup was no big issue. 2 adults, 3 kids, and pulled it with a VW van. Where were the weight police when we needed them?

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
We had one a long time ago,early 2000 model. I hated it. Never can just walk in, and aleays crushing misc stuff not moved when lowering. It was heavy as well.

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
The best place to find info on, and used, TrailManor units is the Owners' forum.

I have had two, and loved them. Since the business has been sold, the biggest concern about getting the torsion bars is now moot. They are not hard to work on, if you need to.

Any good product will cost more than lesser-quality competitors. TrailManors are not more expensive when compared to comparable quality and functionality. I hear many people complain about how bad their less-expensive trailers turned out to be.

I love how the TrailManors tow, as you don't get buffeted by wind, and my fuel economy was much better than when towing a regular trailer. The main reason I got rid of my TM was that the wife wanted a walk-around bed. I used the TM for pheasant-hunting weekends with buddies, and also weekend and week-long trips with the wife. We all thoroughly enjoyed the TM.

If you are serious about a collapsible hard-sided trailer, I would suggest finding a few TrailManors to look at. On the Forum, there is a listing of For-Sale units near the bottom of the page. There are some very good used units available, in various parts of the country. I believe TrailManors weigh less than Hi-Lo units, and they expand to longer living space.

Good luck!
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I took a serious look at Trail Manors and I must admit they we impressive.

However the two big drawbacks for us were the need to set up and take down and one can by a lot of gasoline for the money spent to gain an extra 5 mpg.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
That's a lot of money for a 14 year old used trailer. It's not like it's an Airstream. Is that how much they go for?
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
I had one for a little over a year. There were some definite pluses. I averaged about 1.5 mpg better when pulling it than any other trailer. It was as low as the top of my 4x4 F150 pickup. Wind also had little effect on it.

I sold it because of two things. I could never get rid of the thought in the back of my mind that if a cable broke, I would be SOL.

The other problem was it had a sofa that made into a bed at night. The bed was side to side so one of us had to crawl over the other to go to the bathroom.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
jimx200 wrote:
Here's one a hour or so from me. Comments welcome on it. Thanks again. I called the place and spoke to a somwhwhat unprofessional person who kept telling me to just drive to see and and he would answer questions then..not enticing with that attitude. But who knows.

He likely has about 98 percent no shows from telephone conversations.

jimx200
Explorer
Explorer
Here's one a hour or so from me. Comments welcome on it. Thanks again. I called the place and spoke to a somwhwhat unprofessional person who kept telling me to just drive to see and and he would answer questions then..not enticing with that attitude. But who knows.

https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Don%27s-RV-Center-Inc.-2991448/listing/2004-Hi-Lo-Classis-24C-122113397

jimx200
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all who posted..very good info. If I can't find one here in N. California, I'll likely wait to see Trailmanior's new units this Winter. I'm keeping my eyes out for a gem until then.

jimx200
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
You may be interested in Trailmanior travel trailers.

Thanks. I contacted them last week and found out they have been sold to a Amish company and are in the process of moving to South Dakota. The lady I spoke to said production will start in November and they would offer some big discounts in hopes of getting their name out. I'm keeping a close watch on this company as I like the looks of their rigs.

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
There's lots of Hi-Lo stuff on YouTube. One guy down south somewhere bought an older one and fixed it up to take up north. He did some electrical, replaced the water heater, and did other stuff. Might be worth a look.
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!