cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chev/Workhorse Class C owners:Help!!

tred0956
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2008 Maverick 213QB class C on a 2007 Chev Workhorse chassis, which is basically a Chev 3500. Mine does not have a rear sway bar or stabilizer bar. All of the research I have done leads me to believe that Workhorse installed a heavy duty rear sway bar on this chassis. Not sure why I don't have one-maybe the previous owner removed it??

Anyway, if you have a Chev or Workhorse class C of any year, could you do me a favour? Could you check and see if yours has one? And if you installed an aftermarket rear sway bar, what did you get? I am having trouble sourcing one.

By the way, mine is the 12,300 lb GVWR. It handles quite well at highway speeds, but I am getting a lot of side to side movement at low speed on uneven pavement. Think pulling out of a gas station-cupboards have opened and dishes have gone flying!
Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
As I understand Workhorse made the engineering updates to the 4500 model but the 3500 model only got their badge.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
OP, we have the 4500 under our 32' Coachman. It has sway bars front and rear. I'm going to replace my rear one this Winter with a 1.5" version.Other changes completed thus far are; Bilsteins all the way around and Sumos on the front. It came with air bags in the rear that we run around 50 psi.
Overall, it rides and handles quite well. I'd say the shocks made the biggest difference.
Good luck,
Gary

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
The Roadmaster application catalog shows a 1½ diameter rear anti-sway bar for the Workhorse 3500 cutaway,

3500 Cutaway Van & Cutaway 07-17, p/n 1109-175, Rear sway bar 1 1/2 diameter. Note 68, requires drilling = Yes. weight = 50 lbs, install time = 1.5 hr.

Note 68 says, Chassis built before June of 2007 will require an additional axle mounting bracket kit part # 590061-00.

See page 23 of THIS catalog for front and rear bars, endlinks, etc.

HERE is the install instructions for the rear anti-sway bar.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Scratching my head here, going "I know I responded to this". Now I realize that this same request is posted both here and on the "other' RV forum.... Which is OK, I don't have any problems with that......... So I will repost here what I posted over there...........

tred0956 wrote:
By the way, mine is the 12,300 lb GVWR. It handles quite well at highway speeds, but I am getting a lot of side to side movement at low speed on uneven pavement. Think pulling out of a gas station-cupboards have opened and dishes have gone flying!
Thanks

Continuing back and forth sway after passing over a curb cut like you describe is not for lack of a anti-sway bar, but rather shocks. Heavy duty shocks will dampen this side to side movement. In fact, adding a heavy anti-sway bar will actually increase the uneven surface type of side to side movement. This is why rock crawlers and off road jeeps and such either do not have anti-sway bars or have ones with quick disconnectable end links. Going at an angle across a curb cut requires the suspension operate independently and if it does not (and the AS bar prevents this indy movement) then the entire vehicle follows and you get the rocking. The shocks are there to dampen this and prevent repeated oscillations.

You probably do need the anti-sway bar however, to help with the "being blown off the road by a semi" effect you probably experience.

If your MH has any miles at all on it, I can assure you, the rear shocks are totally worn out. They probably were not heavy duty enough to start with, and the extreme weight only worn them out faster.

My Sprinter chassis View had a larger Roadmaster AS bar installed when I got it. I still got the blast from Semis, (the View is tall and narrow so this is more of an issue than a Ford or GM chassis.) I finally installed new Koni Red rear shocks set full stiff, and also replaced the rear 3T add on air bags (which would no longer hold air). End result was an end to the white knuckle driving. I later added front struts, Koni Reds, also full stiff, but the original struts were quite stiff and so the Koni's made little difference on the front.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
My 2005 didn't have a rear Anti Sway Bar on it and JD helped me install it.

I'll see if I can find paper work on a number on the ASB...

I used the Hellwig 7635 , also had put the Bilsteins on too. Made a big difference...

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
E Trailer,the one I linked, has a warehouse in Canada maybe they have them in stock,might be worth a call.

Canadian Shipments

Many of our products can be shipped from a warehouse in Ontario, Canada. For all other shipments originating from the US into Canada, the quoted shipping costs does not include all brokerage fees and duties. Taxes are not included. To check the availability of a product in the Ontario warehouse, please contact our customer service team at 800-298-8924 (Monday-Friday 7am-8pm, Saturday 9am-5pm and Sunday 12pm-6pm Central Time). All prices on our site are in US Funds. Your credit card company will convert the US charge to Canadian.

The shocks will also help a great deal.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

tred0956
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, it has the Workhorse label on the fenders. And I have found the Roadmaster 1109-175 on their website but I have yet to find a dealer here in Canada. I'll keep looking. I've contacted Hellwig and they say they don't make a sway bar for my rig, but all the truck and spring dealers I have contacted deal only with Hellwig. One dealer wants to use model 7635, which is for the 3500 Chev van, but Hellwig can't confirm that it will work on the dual wheel cut-away. Another dealer wants to install the 7237 or 7219, which is for the Class A Workhorse W20-22 chassis. Clearly that guy wasn't listening when I said class C.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2006 Tioga on a Workhorse Chassis,14050 GVWR chassis.

What I have seen is that all Workhouse chassis came with them,where the non Workhorse chassis of the same vintage did not have them. They may not have put them on the 12,300 lb GVWR chassis.

Are you sure that it is a Workhorse Chassis? Does it have this badge on the front fenders?

I see no reason that you could not install one.Here Is One that would fit, It looks exactly like the one I have on mine,same size.

On Edit: Do you have the stock shocks? I replaced mine with Bilsteins they really improved the ride and lean,side movement,porpoising and overall handling.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Something is odd here. I'm a Ford owner, and installed Hellwig sway bars front and rear. I also helped an OP here, install a Hellwig REAR sway bar on a Chevy 3500 Class C RV that I remember being about a 2005 chassis. But all I can find now in listings is what you're probably seeing: 1997-2002 - Hellwig 7181

I wonder if something was discontinued.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB