cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traveling with long or short t.t.

oxygen
Explorer
Explorer
We plan to be on the road for 8-10 weeks next fall, traveling from IL. to the west and Canada, visiting national parks along the way. Our t.t. is a 30 ft, weigh around 6000 lbs.. Need advice on whether this trip would be much easier pulling a 15-20ft tt. Guess I'm concerned about the length of the longer trailer, getting around mountains, parks, gas stations, etc..

Looking for your wisdom as to your experiences with long or shorter tt. Most of our camping is around the midwest, which is relatively flat.

Del
2012 F-150 XLT,screw, EcoBoost-3.5 liter, Heavy Duty, payload 2400
2014 Rockwood 2604WS, Equalizer head
40 REPLIES 40

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 25 ft. Bigfoot (overall length) and found it to be a well thought out trailer that would fit most anywhere. We "upgraded" to a 31 ft. fifth wheel and find the luxury amenities much to our liking. However, the 5er sometimes won't fit such as recently we had to stay outside of Mt. Rainier National Park. They towed about the same but if going on a long free-wheeling trip I would have preferred the Bigfoot. I regret selling the TT but if we had kept it the dinette would have been replaced with recliners as the lack of comfortable night time seating was a problem. 18% better fuel economy with the Bigfoot would have probably added up on really long trip.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
xteacher wrote:
I would recommend making sure that you have a couch. Even it you're sightseeing most of the day, sitting in a U-dinette when you get home isn't nearly as comfortable as sitting on a comfortable couch. Many of the smaller TTs now have U-dinettes in place of a couch. I'd give up a dinette before I'd give up a couch.

Our 19' Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS would be an exception as it has a slide sofa, no dinette ... works great for us as we often eat outside when camping and when we don't just use a couple of lightweight, folding TV tables while seated on the sofa.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
We downsized three years ago to a 14 foot trailer (Starcraft 14RB), and we finally decided that it just didn't work for us. We bumped into each other all the time, the bed was a crawlover against the front wall, the couch was shallow, it had a small fridge and a/c, and while it had a full bathroom with tub, the tanks were only 9 gallons black/15 gallons gray.

About a week and a half ago, we traded for a Bullet 248RKS, which has a total length of 28'10". We made sure it was less than 30 feet, because we camp almost exclusively in either Corp, State, or National parks. We also had some other requirements:
*deep slideout
*good storage
*tri-fold sofa to sleep occasional guests
*booth dinette/bed conversion for granddaughter
*middle bathroom, so that everyone can access bathroom at night without crawling over anyone else
*2 exterior doors
*15K a/c
*2 door fridge/freezer
*good counter space in kitchen
*outside shower (we do a lot of beach camping)
*good-sized holding tanks

This was the only camper we found within our budget that had everything we were looking for, that wasn't too big.

If we didn't need extra sleeping space, we probably would have gone a little smaller - maybe 26 feet total length, but not much smaller. I would recommend making sure that you have a couch. Even it you're sightseeing most of the day, sitting in a U-dinette when you get home isn't nearly as comfortable as sitting on a comfortable couch. Many of the smaller TTs now have U-dinettes in place of a couch. I'd give up a dinette before I'd give up a couch. I'd also make sure the TT has a walk around bed, as well as decent-sized holding tanks.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
We've done quite a bit of travelling across the country in 10 years and I have not yet had any trouble anywhere getting in with our 34' TT. Personally, I wouldn't ever go smaller unless I was going to do a bunch of boondocking. I love having the space with the family, especially on rainy days.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
We started downsizing two RV's ago. Went from a 32' 5th wheel to a 31' 5th wheel to our current 32.5' TT. Just can't seem to get away from two recliners, sofa bed and 80" queen bed. I'm a bit of a nervous guy but I'd hitch up our rig and go anywhere short of the Rockies with it. I've surprised myself at some of the sites and gas stations we've maneuvered around in. I do however miss the ability to park in two spots like we did with our F150 and 18.5 Aljo years ago.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Born2camp
Explorer
Explorer
We just spent 3 weeks traveling from CA to Canada. Our trailer is a Nash 22 H, 24 ft bumper to hitch which for the 2 of us and one large dog is perfect. We traveled with 4 other couples, two had 34 foot 5th wheels and they did have some issues getting into places where we didn't. Also just spent week in Big Basin National Park and to camp at Wheeler Peak you couldn't have trailer over 24 feet. We love national and state parks and many don't have large sites. It just depends whether you like RV parks or dry camping. For us we prefer dry camping so a smaller trailer is the way to go. It's all about what fits your needs and where you like to stay.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
arkie guide wrote:
As I all ways do - I recommend a 24 footer T.T.

Depends on what you mean by "a 24 footer" ... if that's box length then I'd say no, it's still too long, but you mean coupler to bumper then I'd agree. Our previous KZ Spree 240BH-LX was a "24 footer" that measured 26' 9" coupler to bumper and although I always managed to get it on a site a number of times it did take some deft maneuvering get it there. It's not so much the size of the site but the access to it, sometimes being quite tight because of the campsite road itself, trees, bushes, inappropriately placed campsite posts, etc, etc, which restricted turning the truck as I was backing in exactly as I would have preferred. In those instances a shorter trailer would have unquestionably been easier and at those times I would have preferred our trailer was no more than 25' overall. As it is, our current trailer is just 22' 6" coupler to bumper and I've yet to have difficulty placing it anywhere I want, regardless of the site access. Others may not mind having to fiddle & fool around getting a longer trailer on-site but I just want to back in and be done with it - a shorter trailer does that for me. It also allows us to rent campsites sight unseen and without reservations if we prefer as I know our shorter trailer will always easily fit. :B

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Several times, we were able to get a spot in state or federal parks because we are under 25'. We couldn't be in the spot right now in Myrtle Beach State Park if we were 30'. But then, we don't want to be any longer than we are. Perfectly content with what we have.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

arkie_guide
Explorer
Explorer
As I all ways do - I recommend a 24 footer T.T. if you intend to travel a lot. My experience is from 8' pop up, to 35' T.t. and 35' 5th wheel with slide out, 24' is a happy medium. When working as an RV wagon master, I used a 22' 5th wheel a lot.Now I am finishing up building a new 12 box, T.T. to pull with my 1/2 t F 150.To me I do not go to stay in my RV but to visit and see things.Just be careful and select what you feel comfortable with. GOOF LUCK.

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
For a week ender, or for a week, my preference would be for a shorter trailer--my last was 22 feet. For longer trips like our recent 22,000 mile trek, my current trailer was perfect for me. At 32 feet from coupler to bumper, I never had a problem getting set up in any of the many parks that we stayed at. Mind you, some were tight, but always doable.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Just returned from yet again another camping trip and yet again SO glad we have a 19 footer ... just makes the entire process SO much easier and yet again I didn't reserve, just showed up and picked a site with the confidence of knowing I can easily fit this trailer which measures 22' 6" coupler to bumper on virtually any site that may be available. Of course any trailer selection is personal preference so it's no surprise some just can't tolerate anything less than a 30 footer but that doesn't make shorter trailers like ours any less valid. I certainly wouldn't want to live in ours full time but then neither one of us has any interest at all in ever full timing ... but 2 days or 2 months we'll happily stick with our 19 footer. :B

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
Except for the "Road to the Sun" in Glacier National Park which does not allow any vehicle or TT and TV combination over 25 ft. long, we have never had a issue with length or campground space.

oxygen wrote:
Could you explain what "road to the sun" is about. Is it a main road through Glacier?

jwandvassie wrote:
No. That is the main East/West road through Yellowstone. We did that last month just one day before it was closed due to wildfires.

You're confused ... Going-to-the-Sun Road is in Glacier National Park which adjoins Waterton Lakes National Park on the Canadian side of the border. Here are the vehicle restrictions.

firstime_rver
Explorer
Explorer
All I can say is size isn't everything!!
We purchased our first TT just about 2 years ago, a 2015 20ft Aspen trail (24ft overall length). No slide outs, fully loaded it weighs in at about 6,600 lbs.

It was a little tight until I removed the dinette and installed
a 4ft long x 1ft wide custom made Credenza with the table hinge mounted to the side, with a fold out leg that allows the table to be raised and lowered effortlessly in seconds.. the table is about 2 x 3ft and the credenza top is 4 x 1ft (adding 4 square feet of table space.

Two reclining office chairs and we now have all the room we need to stretch out, especially eliminating the darn post mounts for the table and space consuming-uncomfortable bench seats.
With the table folded down we have floor space to set up an inflatable mattress for guests, which is much more comfortable than that darn dinette bed..

The trailer tows like a dream, is easy to maneuver, has a 50 gal freshwater tank and 30 gal black water and 30 gal grey water tank. We've spent a couple of rainy nights drowning a few ice cubes while happily watching cable and or DVD's. The shower is just big enough for either of us.. The trailer to us is just plain cozy!!

I guess it all comes down to what your comfortable with. We have lots of easily accessed storage space and seem to be able to bring everything we need with us. We just pull into the site and crank down the stabilizers. Don't have to worry about slides leaking or malfunctioning or self levelers hanging up..
But that's just us.. We could easily spend a month or two traveling comfortably.

To each his own......
Pat & Barb
2015 4.3L Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 with towing package
2016 Aspen trail 1900RB

nypatnva
Explorer
Explorer
We have two trailers. One 23 foot Airstream for camping and a 15 foot Scotty for visiting relatives or sight seeing in other states as our portable bedroom. (Gotta have my own bed) Spend very little time in the 15 footer.
2016 dodge ram
champion generator 1978 Serro Scotty Highlander (restored)