cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airstream vs Lance

ewoksmommy
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the market for a travel trailer. What has been your experience with both? I am looking at the Lance 2285 vs the Airstream 25-27' Flying Cloud. I have not been able to walk in either since there are no dealers within a 3 hour drive. Finding that time has been crazy at the moment. I have heard wonderful things about both, but I wanted to get YOUR opinion, good/bad/ugly. Any help would be wonderful! Thanks!
36 REPLIES 36

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
westend wrote:

Yeah, even Livinlite (or whatever they call themselves today) has gone from an aluminum deck to a composite floor.

Livinlite changed to the composite floor (no wood and contains aluminum "joists") for their Camplite trailers. Their toy haulers still use the aluminum floors. My 2013 Camplite has the aluminum floor, and while it can get cold, I do like it. Don't think I'd hesitate on the composite floor though.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
May as well throw Bigfoot in the mix as well.
No slides, all gel coat fiberglass, and expensive.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

flemerdad
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a 2011 Lance 2285 in 2013 and still have it. We've used it a lot. In May 2015 we headed out west and then to northern Colorado where we lived in it for 4 months working for the USFS. From there back to Texas and as we were moving from one city to another, spent another 4 months in the Lance. It's very comfortable and has adequate storage. I especially like the closet, something you rarely see in a TT any more. We've done a few up grades including making the short queen bed into a full queen (I'm 6' tall), replaced the sofa with a new leather sofa with middle drop down arm rest/table, installed commercial carpet tile in all but the bathroom and cooking area, and replaced brake system with self adjusting brakes.

It tows great and has been very reliable. I do use 2 sway bars. Probably don't need the second one, but we live where the wind BLOWS.

Don't think I'd like the Airstream as they don't have slides. That slide makes a big difference when you are spending a lot of time in the rig.

Good luck, hope you find what you want.
Paul & Sandy
2011 Lance Model 2285
2013 F150 3.5 EcoBoost, towing package

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
I am picky, It took a while to sell me on the Beneteau 461 sailboat, so you can imagine how I went over Lance with a fine tooth comb.

You can Google "Lance Owners Forum" and take a look there too
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suggest you go and see the Lance in person. You'll be impressed:

SOME STANDARD STUFF
Lance Uses CNC Routers
45 Gallon Capacity On All 3 Tanks
Lite Ply (Birch) Wood Used
Azdel Composite Panels Used (No Wood (Luan) Used)
Ducted Heat 25,000 BTU
Black Tank Flush
One Piece PVC Roof
12v & USB Charging Wallplate
LED Lighting Throughout (Inside & Outside)
Aluminum Wheels With Goodyear Tires
Lamilux 4000 Fiberglass (Made In Germany)
Huck Bolted BAL Frame (Not Welded)
Porcelain Toilet
Exterior Propane Connect
Dual Pane Skylights

SOME OPTIONS
Backup Camera
12v 32" LED TV
160 Watt Solar Panel
19' Awning
Electric Stabilizer Jacks
Lift Kit Available 2 5/8"
Choice Of 3 Different Air Conditioners 9k - 13.5 - 15
4 Season Package (Frameless Dual Pane, Heated Enclosed Tanks, etc)
Phat Ladder

I'd be curious if A/S has dovetailed cabinets?

Lance Factory Construction Video
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:
Still think Airstreams are cool. Would like to gut one and start over. Wife says no. Darn.

When I was shopping I thought I wanted an Airstream too. I was fascinated with the exterior shape. Shopped new, and also considered refurbing an old one. Went into several of them ( new, used nice ones, and old project level ) and decided the interior just did not appeal to me. It didn't take me long to rule them out of my personal wants.

In my mind, when it comes to an RV, it's important to match the RV to your personal wants and desires.

It's a good time to be pursuing this activity. There is something for everybody out there. Just takes a lot of looking and thinking about your wants and needs.

I really like the interiors. Reminds me of sailboats. And I really like sailboats. Maybe some day.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I knew where an older, smaller Airstream was parked a few years back. I was thinking of restoring it but it never got beyond that. It would have been totally a flip for making money and, after my first renovation, I know there is a good chance I would make $5/hr when it was all done.
FYI, it was somewhere around a '56 and there weren't many built in those years. It had an odd floor plan with the kitchen all the way forward. Not a bad layout but unusual for Airstreams.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
Still think Airstreams are cool. Would like to gut one and start over. Wife says no. Darn.

When I was shopping I thought I wanted an Airstream too. I was fascinated with the exterior shape. Shopped new, and also considered refurbing an old one. Went into several of them ( new, used nice ones, and old project level ) and decided the interior just did not appeal to me. It didn't take me long to rule them out of my personal wants.

In my mind, when it comes to an RV, it's important to match the RV to your personal wants and desires.

It's a good time to be pursuing this activity. There is something for everybody out there. Just takes a lot of looking and thinking about your wants and needs.

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
It comes down to personal preference if money if not a factor.

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:

If you rebuild one use marine grade in the floor.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
avoidcrowds wrote:
It depends on what type of camping you do. I camp year-round, so a 4-season package was a must. Don't know if Airstream is 4-season rated, (heated underbelly to keep tanks from freezing, double-pane window).

I went with a Lance, due to lighter weight than anything else I found that had an enclosed, heated underbelly. And, the floorplan fit our needs. Lots more storage than we use, 45 gal fresh tank (mostly boondocking). Room for two 160w solar panels on the roof.

If you always camp with hookups, or don't need a lightweight trailer, you have more options. But, we love our Lance, after comparing to many other trailers. Our needs may be different than yours, so just because we felt the Lance was right for us, does not mean it is right for you.

Have fun shopping!

No dual pane windows option that I know of. My concern would be how hot it would in full sun. Ever touch an aluminum canoe on a sunny day?

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on what type of camping you do. I camp year-round, so a 4-season package was a must. Don't know if Airstream is 4-season rated, (heated underbelly to keep tanks from freezing, double-pane window).

I went with a Lance, due to lighter weight than anything else I found that had an enclosed, heated underbelly. And, the floorplan fit our needs. Lots more storage than we use, 45 gal fresh tank (mostly boondocking). Room for two 160w solar panels on the roof.

If you always camp with hookups, or don't need a lightweight trailer, you have more options. But, we love our Lance, after comparing to many other trailers. Our needs may be different than yours, so just because we felt the Lance was right for us, does not mean it is right for you.

Have fun shopping!
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. Its different. But, good to know in today's world one can still buy this type of commercial rated quality in a rv package. It will outlast me big time...