cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternatives to lack of storage space

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready to embark on an extended road trip shortly. Being both a class c and not an overly large one, I've been having concerns of storing all the stuff I anticipate needing. Biggest issue is the spare tire. I've seen some that say they don't need one. I'd rather not do a several thousand mile trip without, but the normal place where they stored it was in the under the bed storage place and that takes up a lot of room that could be used for other stuff. Other things taking up room are 2 inflatable kayaks, portable clothes washer, eu2000 + gas, external canopy and chairs, roller blades, wife's shoes. You get the idea. My 3 ideas would be roof mount, which is 10' up and difficult to access with heavy items, a rear bumper cargo mount, which would displace the bike rack, or getting a small enclosed trailer to haul all that stuff. I'm kind of liking the idea of a small trailer except for the part about actually towing something. Parking and backing up would be more limited. Does anyone use a small trailer like the wells cargo service wagon? What would I look for, and how do they handle being pulled down the freeway? I'd need one big enough to put all the above mentioned stuff plus a couple of bicycles since I'd be using the tow hitch for towing instead of holding the bike rack.
1998 Class C Lazy Daze 26 1/2 island bed
banks intake/exhaust
wifi/4g/siriusXM/DTV/DirecTV/CB
2xGeorbital electric bike conversions
49 REPLIES 49

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
I could very easily be wrong but seem to remember that swivel wheel units like those shown are not legal in every state. If someone knows for sure please jump in here. it would be a sad event to buy one only to find you were limited as to where you could go {not mention "why" it was not legal in a given state}.

Putting that Harley on the rear end of the pick up truck looks like a fool's errand to me but what the hell... opinions vary.

:h

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
alliemac9 wrote:
photobug wrote:
A small trailer hardwired for the generator/solar/battery might be interesting. That way I'm not tripping over all that stuff when not in use.

Based on what you outlined, sounds like considering building out an event photo trailer would suit your business, your move and potentially your travel needs as well (setting it up in such a way to provide space for hauling other things when needed). Could be pretty slick!

http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel

This might work.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

photobug
Explorer
Explorer

Ended up buying the trailer. needs some cleaning and new tires but should be good to go for having room for all my stuff.

(switching forums to ask general population about trailer questions)
banks intake/exhaust

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
found a used Wells Cargo 6'x 10' for $2500 on craigslist. going to look at it tomorrow if it's still there. Only a single axle, but they charge less on toll roads, and with limited tow capacity on the RV I'm less tempted to load it up with heavy stuff. this way DW can bring more of her clothes and shoes and I don't have to trip over them. This way I can bring the EU2000 since the rv genset seems to only want to start every couple of times I use it.
banks intake/exhaust

MrSimon
Explorer
Explorer
Trailers are great! They also double as storage for all your gear when at home. Keep your trailer loaded and organized, and getting ready to roll out on an adventure will be super easy.

Rolin
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Motor Home similar to yours and storage is limited. We do pull a trailer and its easy to forget its back there. Ours weights 900lbs. It is a lot more pleasant if the interior of the motorhome is not stuff to the gills. We do put things in the shower when necessary but prefer not to use it as a closet. If possible I prefer to put stuff in the trailer and provide more space in the MH.

Good luck on your trip.

bigskygrizzlybe
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a hitch carrier from Harbor Freight, a used aluminum truck box from Craigslist. I have a 24 foot Class C. Just got back from a trip to Yellowstone from Ohio. I had my chairs, fishing rods,waders for fishing, shoes, tools,jack, you name it. Worked like a dream .Did have to use an extension to go past spare tire.
Gulf Stream Class C
2004 Jeep Liberty Dinghy
Snowbirds 2014

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is 12 foot not including the V nose. On a decent trailer it's usually 3,500 Lbs. per axle but you need to check the limits on a particular trailer as there is some junk out there.

I had a 10' single axle trailer but when we added the second Harley it was too small and put us too close to it's max weight. I wanted a little more space for other things that would not fit on my compartments. I also wanted to go to two tires on each side in case one went flat. A small price to pay when it's carrying almost $40,000 in bikes.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
How big is the trailer? Without the motorcycles, would a single axle be enough? Most of the stuff I'm carrying is not heavy, just bulky. Some toll roads charge by the axle so there might be an advantage there. Have to keep the weight below 3000/300 to not overload the hitch.
banks intake/exhaust

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer

Two Harleys, mountian bikes and other gear in the trailer. Canoe and kayaks on top of trailer. Plenty of storage in the camper for everything else.
Also use the trailer to haul antiques when I do shows and swap meets. Double duty.

Here's my washer. Bucket can be use for other things. Laundromat is still easier but this works fine.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

alliemac9
Explorer
Explorer
photobug wrote:
A small trailer hardwired for the generator/solar/battery might be interesting. That way I'm not tripping over all that stuff when not in use.

Based on what you outlined, sounds like considering building out an event photo trailer would suit your business, your move and potentially your travel needs as well (setting it up in such a way to provide space for hauling other things when needed). Could be pretty slick!
2007 Coachmen Freelander 2430DB + 2 dogs

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I thought a bolt-on front class 3 hitch was fairly easy to find for a truck chassis.
Welder can beef up the rear hitch.
You can buy a "top bar" adapter for a girls bike. REI has them as do I.

If you really want a trailer, by all means load it up.

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
Ron, I looked at those and ran into 2 issues, 1) my wife has a "girls" bike, so no top bar to hang the bike on, 2) weight on the hitch like a couple people above mentioned. The hitch on my rv isn't all that robust and only rated at about 3000lbs/500hitch.
time2roll, I've tried with the bikes on the front, it blocks the headlights and reduces airflow to the engine, plus I'd have to figure out how to attach to the front since the bike rack mounts in the trailer hitch. Leaving stuff at "home" isn't an option since I won't have a home to leave it at.
banks intake/exhaust

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would attach what I can to the front and rear and leave the rest at home.
Consider bikes on the front for better air flow and a spare and cargo carrier on the rear.
Leave the portable washer at home. Plenty of laundry machines on the road.
What does the Honda do? Small inverter and 200 watts solar on the roof might be all you need.