Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Alternatives to lack of storage space
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Alternatives to lack of storage space

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
FunTwoDrv

NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/17 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Number of axles probably depends on the builder and weight capacity. I've seen new builds with a single 3500# axle. I think you could find what you need with a single axle.

Gary

alliemac9

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/03/17 04:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would something like this (Amazon link) be enough? I have one... I don't recall having needed it on the RV yet, but it's always in the back of my mind if I do. Comes in handy on the SUV on occasion. Seems fairly utilitarian, but small and economical.

Also, not sure what all you need to power photographically, but you might want to bump solar higher on your project list and then you could get rid of the Honda generator. I have 632 watts on my roof and have no problem keeping up with everything. I, unfortunately, don't have space for a big battery bank, so I try to run laptops and charge things when the sun is out, but realistically, I could punish my batteries more than I do and be perfectly fine. Solar might be one of my favorite upgrades to date!! (from one photog to another) [emoticon]

2007 Coachmen Freelander 2430DB + 2 dogs

photobug

Seattle, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/17 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

alliemac9, I have one of those, use it on my van for various things including hauling the garbage cans to the dump. Would be an option except my bike rack is taking up the trailer hitch. Looked into a way to hook up both, not really practical without serious modifications.
I've looked a little at solar, and for cheep units, we're looking at about $100 per 100w. I've also looked at the yeti power packs, which may be an option sometime in the future.
As for powering photographic stuff, I'm looking at 2 1600ws strobes, 2 laptops, 3 battery chargers, phone, and sometimes the camera for timelapse work. Can't always get the rv or cord close to the shoot. I've been shooting kids little league team and individual pictures, some times for 6hrs straight. Seattle weather precludes depending on solar for your main source of power.
For a short time, alternatives might work, but since I'm moving and it may be up to 6 months before I get all my household stuff out of storage. Makes storing equipment I know works a challenge. A small, securable trailer that could hold a couple of tables, canopies, lights and stands, a small ladder and the various other stuff I carry to a shoot plus a couple of bikes, is looking attractive. I use the bikes to get to on course sites when shooting 10k and marathon road races. (the bikes are electric) A small trailer hardwired for the generator/solar/battery might be interesting. That way I'm not tripping over all that stuff when not in use.

1998 Class C Lazy Daze 26 1/2 island bed
banks intake/exhaust
wifi/4g/siriusXM/DTV/DirecTV/CB
2xGeorbital electric bike conversions

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/17 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those hitch mount cargo carriers rather worry me, doubly so on an RV. Every bit of weight on them is tongue weight, and it's applied to the hitch receiver with a loner lever arm than a typical trailer ball would have so the torque applied to the hitch is greater. On an RV with the long rear overhang, that leads to considerable forces on the hitch as one goes over bumps etc.

They should be okay so long as the load is light (assuming one doesn't have trouble with hitting the ground). If the load is, say, a couple hundred pounds or so, please be extra cautious and keep a close eye on things like the hitch mounting to the RV frame and the rear axle weight.

ronfisherman

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/17 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

photobug wrote:

alliemac9, I have one of those, use it on my van for various things including hauling the garbage cans to the dump. Would be an option except my bike rack is taking up the trailer hitch. Looked into a way to hook up both, not really practical without serious modifications.

Have you considered a combination cargo carrier bike rack. Here is one. .

I made a double receiver for my son that allows him to put bike rack above cargo carrier. Lower part that cargo carrier goes in. Is a extension that puts cargo carrier behind bikes. He has a aluminum box similar to a pickup tool box that bolts onto cargo carrier. This gives him a watertight secure place to store stuff. He has running and brake lights on rack.

2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
TST tire pressure monitor system
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad

Super C Group Forum

ctilsie242

Austin

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/17 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could go with an open trailer, which would be a lot cheaper. Downside is that you will have to buy and secure a bunch of Actionpacker like toolchests.

I do agree about hitch mounted cargo and their long moment arm... but if the manufacturer rates them for 5000 pound pull weight and 500 pound toungue weight, they know better with engineering than I do.

As for the hitch hitting the ground, that is a good point... maybe a skid wheel or two on the hitch might help there, just to protect the levelling jacks.

My needs are different, but if I were taking a bunch of stuff on a trip (I really don't have that much stuff, and most of my current TT's cabinets are empty), I would definitely consider an enclosed trailer, provided that it was well within the tow capacity of the rig. The trailer would be used for holding a reserved spot (because people just toss flags and cones somewhere else and take the spot anyway, while moving a trailer is a felony hard charge), and also can provide additional solar when boondocking.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/17 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would attach what I can to the front and rear and leave the rest at home.
Consider bikes on the front for better air flow and a spare and cargo carrier on the rear.
Leave the portable washer at home. Plenty of laundry machines on the road.
What does the Honda do? Small inverter and 200 watts solar on the roof might be all you need.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

photobug

Seattle, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/17 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron, I looked at those and ran into 2 issues, 1) my wife has a "girls" bike, so no top bar to hang the bike on, 2) weight on the hitch like a couple people above mentioned. The hitch on my rv isn't all that robust and only rated at about 3000lbs/500hitch.
time2roll, I've tried with the bikes on the front, it blocks the headlights and reduces airflow to the engine, plus I'd have to figure out how to attach to the front since the bike rack mounts in the trailer hitch. Leaving stuff at "home" isn't an option since I won't have a home to leave it at.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/17 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought a bolt-on front class 3 hitch was fairly easy to find for a truck chassis.
Welder can beef up the rear hitch.
You can buy a "top bar" adapter for a girls bike. REI has them as do I.

If you really want a trailer, by all means load it up.

alliemac9

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/17 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

photobug wrote:

A small trailer hardwired for the generator/solar/battery might be interesting. That way I'm not tripping over all that stuff when not in use.

Based on what you outlined, sounds like considering building out an event photo trailer would suit your business, your move and potentially your travel needs as well (setting it up in such a way to provide space for hauling other things when needed). Could be pretty slick!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Alternatives to lack of storage space
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS