cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ordered new Toy Hauler - Now second guessing

dkeller
Explorer
Explorer
Well just ordered a 2018 Jayco Octane T32C after a year of research and determining if my 2016 Ram 2500 diesel would be OK as a TV (17K towing capacity). I felt good initially in that looking at all the numbers that I would be under all my limits, but the more I continue researching (doesn't seem to stop) I wonder if missed something so looking for reassurance I guess:

TV has 2000# of available payload

T32C:
GVWR - 12250 (Do not believe will ever have fully loaded but just in case used that number)
Tongue - 15%-1837#
13%-1592#
10%-1225#

with this trailer if ever at max will still be 3050# under GCWR of 25300# for TV.

so my question did I bite off more than I can tow or OK

Thanks in Advance.
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 Diesel
2018 Jayco T32C
Reese Straight-Line trunnion WDH
25 REPLIES 25

dkeller
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all that have replied will get her weighed when pick it up, feeling a lot better about the purchase, just was unsure as there are a lot of different ways to look at weights that make it look better or worse. I am the kind of person that looks at the glass as half empty or in this case not capable of doing the job safety and legally. thanks again
2018 Jayco T32C

trikeflyer
Explorer
Explorer
Short answer... you are fine. I pull a heavier 5er with my '15 2500 Cummins and it does fine.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Your truck would have no trouble at all with a 12k lb TT. Not even close. Your payload rating doesn't really mean anything because your truck is heavy and the 2500 class GVWR is maxed at 10k lbs. Stay under your tire ratings, which you wont' even approach with this setup, and enjoy your new rig.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

dkeller
Explorer
Explorer
TxTiger wrote:
A friend of mine has the same TH and has towed it with a Toyota half ton pickup for years. I think you'll be fine with your set up.

glad to see someone with the same setup and is having no issues, I do know the 2018 is 600# heavier than the previous year not sure how much more than your friends, but hopefully will have no issues. haven't got word when it will be in for the walk through expecting early next month.

All that stated the fifth wheel hitch weight this is a Travel Trailer Toy Hauler. I knew from the numbers of most 5th wheel toy haulers that I would be well over payload so had no choice but to go this route.

Thanks again for all the input starting to feel better on my decision.
2018 Jayco T32C

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
dkeller wrote:
Payload is from the sticker, I want to get weighed at some point but figured would do it when have the trailer loaded for going. I realize that payload is almost gone with a fully loaded trailer but is it an issue? I just feel like missing something because of reading all the forums and what is stated as a safe weight.

One important thing your missing is trucks don't carry weight determined by mfg gvwr or the mfg gvwr based payload numbers nor do they determine a trucks legal load limit.

A 2500 Ram diesel doesn't tell us much about the trucks gvwr/fawr/rawr nor does a T32C Octane tell us the trailers gvwr range or its gross dry weight (CCC numbers).

Your Ram can have up to a 6500 rawr that will be carrying all the weight in the bed. These trucks rear axle may weigh in the 3100-3200 lb range which leaves around 3300-3400 lbs for a payload in the bed.
When you weigh your truck be sure and get separate front and rear axle weight numbers......a gross weight doesn't tell you the whole story.
The 2016 2500 Ram shows 24k-25k gcwr numbers....however the 2500 can have the same drivetrain/engine/tranny as a 3500 SRW truck and its another number that isn't used to determine a trucks legal gross combined weight.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
"legal" weight my wife is over that! Not unless you weighing each tire you'll never know the proper weight. I'd say there's a lot of over weigh trailers. Keep us posted how she handles.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

slapshot12
Explorer
Explorer
OP, you'll be over your "legal" weight when you factor in the 5th wheel hitch and pin weight to your cargo capacity. Will the truck probably pul it ok? yes, probably it will. Like others have posted, I also am not a fan of exceeding the rated capacities. The cargo capacity is the limiting factor on 250/2500 diesel trucks. I just traded my '15 250 (2204 cargo) in on a '17 350 (3477 cargo) since we're shopping for a new toy hauler. When I made my initial list of trailers to look at, I would have towed 2 out 12 with my 250, and both would have been overweight. Now with the 350, I can tow them all and it allowed me to go to trailers in the 39' range instead of only the 36'. It's important to look at all of the weights when shopping for your truck and trailer. Once you load up the garage, that should lower the pin weight, so that will help a bit.

I think your truck should do just fine. Like bedlam said, you may need some help on the rear suspension with a helper spring or airbags. I had to bag the rear end on my 250 for my current WnP.

Good luck!
'18 Momentum 349M
'17 F-350 SRW Lariat CCSB 6.7 FX4

TxTiger
Explorer
Explorer
A friend of mine has the same TH and has towed it with a Toyota half ton pickup for years. I think you'll be fine with your set up.
2000 F250, 7.3 PSD, 6 speed manual, CC, SB
2013 Northstar TC800

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Don't worry your truck will tow it just fine!!
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

ijon1
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Lance truck camper before I bought our Fury 2910 toy hauler. The dually truck I had for the truck camper works perfect for the Fury.

dkeller
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone I know I am just about my limits just wanted to make sure that didn't miss something and go to get it I cant take delivery. I was surprised as everyone else that my payload was so low, wish would have looked at that prior to purchasing the truck. Guess you live and learn.
2018 Jayco T32C

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
ScottG wrote:
Are you sure your truck doesn't have more like a 3000# load capacity?
I thought the later model Ram's had much more capcity than the 3 gens.
I got to poking around the Ram website. The 2017's have a few hundred pounds more payload capacity than his 2016.

But it's easy to make a big difference with a simple configuration change:

a 2017 3500HD CTD CCLB with 4x2 can tow 30500
a 2017 3500HD CTD CCLB with 4x4 can tow 21600

and that's about the same as my 2011 Silverado 3500HD Duramax CCLB with 4x4 (but a lot better than Ram could do in 2011).

Bedlam
You may need some suspension help with rear sag and may need a higher rated receiver, but the rest of the truck is just fine. Hitch it up, fill the fresh water tanks and head over to the public scales - This will tell you whether it needs help.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I don't know why you're focused on GCWR - unless your truck is absurdly heavy for some reason (like aux tank with 500 gal of diesel), GCWR should be fine.

I'm really surprised that you have only 2200 pounds payload. Toy haulers tend to be pin heavy. Mine is 17%.

You should be OK but you're on the edge.

My rig loaded is 18750. I have to travel without water to stay under the GVWR of 19000. You might have to do the same (depends where your tanks are).