cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grand Tetons -- Late Fall.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I plan to visit GT in the late October 2018. I like to stay at GV but it will be closed at this time of year. Are NFS/BLM campsites like Upper Teton View open ????
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
12 REPLIES 12

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
vermilye wrote:
profdant139 wrote:
Thanks, Steve! Here is my secret recipe for taking decent photos -- take hundreds of them, and a few of them are bound to turn out ok, just by accident. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Or, find one you like in a book & go looking for the location. I just spent half a day wandering around Jumbo Rocks campground in Joshua Tree National Park looking the the tree & rock that Laurent Martres had in his "Photographing Southern California". I did find it, but had to give him credit for the composition:

Jon - you must have a lot of Books to look at because, you, like Don, have shared Images that require a good eye, and great composition.

Thank you Both, for sharing those images/and your adventures as you both explore areas few even dream of.

Thanks,

Busskipper

Edit - Similar -
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Thanks, Steve! Here is my secret recipe for taking decent photos -- take hundreds of them, and a few of them are bound to turn out ok, just by accident. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Or, find one you like in a book & go looking for the location. I just spent half a day wandering around Jumbo Rocks campground in Joshua Tree National Park looking the the tree & rock that Laurent Martres had in his "Photographing Southern California". I did find it, but had to give him credit for the composition:

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:

Tried the hundreds method - and get a good one every now and again - now am in the take 1,000's - trouble is seems like I can never find the good ones, just takes too long:B

I have a feeling - just by looking at the Images that you take more GOOD than bad,

Always enjoy your images - Just beautiful.

Thanks,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

calberry
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:

Yup, I say/do the same thing!

Steve
2010 F350 XLT 4X4 6.8L V10
2012 Rockwood 8265WS 5er

Go Bears!

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:

You're not alone. Professional photographers do this same thing.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

calberry
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
This blog post may be of some help -- just scroll down to Oct. 16:

Tetons in October

I LOVE your blog! VERY nice photos!!!

Steve
2010 F350 XLT 4X4 6.8L V10
2012 Rockwood 8265WS 5er

Go Bears!

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
This blog post may be of some help -- just scroll down to Oct. 16:

Tetons in October
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
There's a great Nat'l Forrest campground east of GT but it closes sometime in Oct. and probably more early that late. Late Oct. would just be too cold for me but we've been there in late Sept./early Oct. What about Gros Ventre campground? Look it up. Or a private one in Jackson?
Jayco-noslide

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
narcodog wrote:
There are a couple CGs up on the Gros Ventre red rocks is one crystal creek the other.

Crystal Creek closes Sept 10 and Red Rocks is not one I've found.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are a couple CGs up on the Gros Ventre red rocks is one crystal creek the other.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We've been to that area many times late September, but not late October. Weather is a big determining factor in FS campgrounds, but as far as BLM, don't know, but suspect the same. FS CG's will list their closing dates. Most CG's in the Snake River Canyon between Alpine, WY and Jackson close mid September. This year early snowfall even off of Togwotee Pass probably closed FS CG's there. We've been up off of Togwottee Pass and had to leave because of the FS closing the CG due to pending weather. You may have to instead stay at private campgrounds in that area or as far north as Mammoth in Yellowstone which is open year around. There are private CG's in Victor and Driggs, Idaho over the Teton Pass, but calling ahead is always the best bet.