cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best or favorite dingy towed vehicle?

glenmoorent
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking to buy a dingy towed vehile. Can anyone give me recommendations of their favorite vehicle to tow? Not a full sized vehicle like a pickup but smaller.
34 REPLIES 34

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
I am on my second Chevy HHR. I just bought a 2011 with 50,000 miles on it. It is light and yet has the small suv feel lots of soace to get in and out of the door without hurting your back.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

Jeffe
Explorer
Explorer
Over the years we have towed a Suzuki Gran Vitara 4x4, Silverado 4dr/4x4, Grand Cherokee w/FT 4x4 and now a Ford 150 SuperCrew 4x4.

While they were/are all good tow vehicles the Grand Cherokee was the quickest, easiest and most practical because of it's medium size.

The F150 sets up easy and tows great; but, it might be too large for a lot of folks to tow.
2002 Winnebago Journey DL - 39QD
330 Cat with 6 Speed Allison
Toad: 2016 Ford 150 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
debandi wrote:
We have towed a Toyota Corolla, Jeep, Saturn Vue (easy tow), Ford Winstar with drive shaft disconnect, Honda CRV (easy to tow) and a Ford F150 with drive shaft disconnect.
Ford F150 is easy to tow and the drive shaft disconnect is easy to use.
The Winstar was good but the drive shaft disconnect was not east to use.

I had a drive shaft disconnect on my S10 pu and hated it. kept jumping out of mesh.
bumpy

debandi
Explorer
Explorer
We have towed a Toyota Corolla, Jeep, Saturn Vue (easy tow), Ford Winstar with drive shaft disconnect, Honda CRV (easy to tow) and a Ford F150 with drive shaft disconnect.
Ford F150 is easy to tow and the drive shaft disconnect is easy to use.
The Winstar was good but the drive shaft disconnect was not east to use.
John Spear RMCS(SW)USN RET '88
Debra is my 'nagagator'! She tells me where to go.
Enjoying our 2006 Roadtrek Adventurs RS

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
Jeep Wranglers are very common. Easy to mount the base plates yourself, light weight and you can get off of the road some.

Bill

I would not say the JK is light weight. Mid 4K to 5K, depending on options.

WW
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

greenskeeper
Explorer
Explorer
easy to tow, first was an 1998 Suzuki sidekick, no problem, next was a 2014 Dodge Dakota, now back to an 1998 Suzuki Sidekick...โ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..

Yellowboat_
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2009 Saturn Vue. It is in the shop for the third time with transmission problems.

The first time was for wave plates. It was a known problem and was covered by GM under a ten year warranty for a known problem.

Second time was for speed sensor. I had them change the transmission computer chip at the tmsame time. This was not covered by GM.

Third time the gears have failed. While working on the wave plates a gear with a chipped tooth was found and replaced. So I'm guessing that GM has decided to cover the cost of repairs because of the previous wor

So I'xe been looking at the Ford Edge and Chevy Equinox. I noticed that the Edge is more expensive than the Equinox. And according to the towing guide the Equinox is easier to set up for towing.
2016 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on a 2016 Ford F53 Chassis
2009 Saturn VUE
Buddy our Bichon Frise
JD & Kathy

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
ttempleton wrote:
One vote Saturn Vue

I have a 2005 that is set up for towing. a good option.
bumpy

ttempleton
Explorer
Explorer
One vote Saturn Vue
Templeton
2003 DP Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PST

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
You don't say what kind of MH you have, I am assuming it is a gas MH because you want a lighter tow vehicle. If that is the case I would look for one that you would want to use as your daily driver that is under 3000 lbs. There are a number of lighter compact cars like the Corolla, Elantra, Accent, Versa, Fiesta, Focus, Cruse, Sonic to name a few that can be towed. Start by checking the Dingy Towing guide for the year that you are interested in. Once you find a car that you like and the Dingy Towing Guide says it can be towed flat check with the owners manual at the dealers to verify. You will find more candidates for flat towing among older used cars.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Chainwright wrote:
Well this is very helpful. Because I was witnessing folks towing Cadillac Escalade's and Chevy Suburbans, and it had me wondering if that was the norm.

IMO, the "norm" would be if every third motorhome (or more) had one behind it. Around here, on most days during the summer, that applies to Jeep Wranglers and a few Hondas. Suburbans, etc. are few and far between, usually behind huge diesel pushers.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
Well this is very helpful. Because I was witnessing folks towing Cadillac Escalade's and Chevy Suburbans, and it had me wondering if that was the norm.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like my Honda Fit, 5 speed manual transmission. It is towable and meets my transportation needs. There are still quite a few subcompact sedans or hatchbacks that are towable with manual transmission, if those work for you.

My previous towable was a Ford Ranger with 5 speed manual. It no longer met my transportation needs when they came to include a third occupant in an infant safety seat.

Some folks need a towed vehicle for one person, two persons, five or more persons, or a huge amount of cargo. Figure out what size and type of vehicle you need, then look for one of those that might be towable.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
F1bNorm wrote:
If your brake system requires power (ours does not), you might need a power line.

It's also a nice daily driver.

Norm

when I used a brake buddy I just plugged it into a small jumper/starter battery pack that I wanted to have along anyhow. no power line needed.
bumpy