cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Baked Beans

bootstrap
Explorer
Explorer
One of my friends is new to dutch oven cooking and was thinking of doing a batch of beans. I can't eat beans myself, so figured this group would be the place to ask. He was thinking of adding molasses and salt pork, or maybe maple syrup and venison. Any recommendations?
11 REPLIES 11

cpd520
Explorer
Explorer
Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans

These have always been a big hit every time I've made them.
Jack and Nina

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
A fella at a local trade fair was selling little bean ladders. You lean them up the inside of the pot so the little pharts can get out while the beans are baking.

s1214
Explorer
Explorer
Steve B. wrote:
This would be a great shortcut, and I use these all the time. Taste completely homemade. Grandma Brown's baked beans are sold in the NE and are a staple in my cupboard. Can't tell where the OP is from but you can order them on line. I use the baked beans and add some molasses and brown sugar - stir together and bake. Delicious! The baked beans are not like other canned beans with sauce. GB does make saucepan beans, which are also better than most, I just can't find them in my area. All of the stores here carry the baked beans. When I head to Florida for the winter, I take many cans with me and everyone asks about them when I serve them.

++ on GB. I add bacon and maple sugar (not syrup)and let it slow cook on low for about 4 hours.

Steve_B_
Explorer
Explorer
This would be a great shortcut, and I use these all the time. Taste completely homemade. Grandma Brown's baked beans are sold in the NE and are a staple in my cupboard. Can't tell where the OP is from but you can order them on line. I use the baked beans and add some molasses and brown sugar - stir together and bake. Delicious! The baked beans are not like other canned beans with sauce. GB does make saucepan beans, which are also better than most, I just can't find them in my area. All of the stores here carry the baked beans. When I head to Florida for the winter, I take many cans with me and everyone asks about them when I serve them.
2000 Twister by Fifties Trailers,
2017 Honda Ridgeline
2003 Miniature Schnauzer, Meyer

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I bought a bean ladder.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gdetrailer wrote:
Molasses, brown sugar, ketchup (not a lot) and crumbled bacon!

That is the way my Mom made Baked beans..

Although my Mom measured everything, I just eyeball it for amounts and go with it.

For additional flavor, we started double smoking the bacon (cold smoke the uncooked bacon), to cold smoke we cover the bacon with coarse black pepper and put into our smoker for about 1/2 hr keeping the temp at refrigerator temps (38-42 F)..

Results are awesome!

We vacuum pack in small quantities then freeze the bacon.

Downside is have to cold smoke during the winter and do enough to last through summer.

We have also hot smoked the baked beans, those do not last around here!

Double ditto. If we don't have really good bacon we get smoked hog jowls or smoked ham hocks. We also add a tablespoon of chopped jalapeรฑo peppers for another level of flavor. I told Santa I want a nice smoker for Christmas. Fingers crossed!
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Molasses, brown sugar, ketchup (not a lot) and crumbled bacon!

That is the way my Mom made Baked beans..

Although my Mom measured everything, I just eyeball it for amounts and go with it.

For additional flavor, we started double smoking the bacon (cold smoke the uncooked bacon), to cold smoke we cover the bacon with coarse black pepper and put into our smoker for about 1/2 hr keeping the temp at refrigerator temps (38-42 F)..

Results are awesome!

We vacuum pack in small quantities then freeze the bacon.

Downside is have to cold smoke during the winter and do enough to last through summer.

We have also hot smoked the baked beans, those do not last around here!

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I add both the molasses and maple syrup to my baked beans. I also like a little heat so I add Hot Jimmy Dean Sausage and a couple squirts of bbq sauce.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
romore wrote:
Molasses gives them a nice sharp flavor, maple syrup might be a little sweet at least for my liking. After blanching the beans until soft lightly boil them then drain again before adding to the pot, helps reduce the dreaded after effects.

Never heard of that for reducing the gas, have any tricks for turning the gas up when somebody parks on top of you? :R

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
romore wrote:
Molasses gives them a nice sharp flavor, maple syrup might be a little sweet at least for my liking. After blanching the beans until soft lightly boil them then drain again before adding to the pot, helps reduce the dreaded after effects.

10-4:B
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II