Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question About Generator

rookie_rv
Explorer
Explorer
Rookie Rver :C here!

Sold our Class A to purchase a toy hauler (2018 Livin Lite QuickSilver 8.5x26). Please accept my apology if this question sounds crazy or need to be posted else where. The toy hauler is a 50amp that does not come with a generator. Can I install a 50amp generator, or purchase a stand alone that can provide the power needed (A/C, lights, electrical outlets, etc.) Am I asking for future trouble by having one installed after? Would it be best to purchase a toy hauler with generator already installed?
Darius....the "Rookie RVer"
U.S. Coast Guard Retired
"RVing....cause life's a trip"
15 REPLIES 15

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Onboard as others have mentioned is the best way to go in my opinion also, but, since I already had a Honda 2000 with aux 6gal fuel tank, I still use it just to power the RV for little stuff like the coffee maker or running a fan through out the nite and also running my Samsung sound bar setup when were listening to music. Just because I have it and it uses less gas than the onboard.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
The only issue was a broken pull start assembly. They sent me a replacement part quickly and without question. Guessing I have around 100 HRs on it so far
2017 F250 PSD 4X4
2015 Livin Lite Axxcess 24FBA
2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Txsurfer wrote:

Accuride heavy duty locking drawer slides I think 300 or 500lb cap. Local metal working shop made the tray. Google champion extended run kit from pinelas power. Fits perfect.

I'll check that out. I can easily make a shelf. I told my wife about your setup, solves the last issue I had for a non-mounted generator. How many hours on your Champion? Any problems? Ours has an auto choke issue that is in for repair
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
nayther wrote:
Txsurfer wrote:

I to have a livin lite. Here is what I did. Installed a slider tray with a champion 3100 inverter gen. Quiet cheap and runs a roof air no problem..

OK, need more details. Already have that exact generator, love the wireless remote. Where did you get those drawer slides to handle that weight? Does the aux outboard motor tank connect to a port or something or did you splice it into the standard fuel line? I assume there's some type of fuel pump as well?

I ask all this because we're close to buying a new, non-toy hauler 5er and you cannot find any with generators and if you do, or have it added, they're propane powered and use a LOT of fuel.

Accuride heavy duty locking drawer slides I think 300 or 500lb cap. Local metal working shop made the tray. Google champion extended run kit from pinelas power. Fits perfect.
2017 F250 PSD 4X4

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Txsurfer wrote:

I to have a livin lite. Here is what I did. Installed a slider tray with a champion 3100 inverter gen. Quiet cheap and runs a roof air no problem..

OK, need more details. Already have that exact generator, love the wireless remote. Where did you get those drawer slides to handle that weight? Does the aux outboard motor tank connect to a port or something or did you splice it into the standard fuel line? I assume there's some type of fuel pump as well?

I ask all this because we're close to buying a new, non-toy hauler 5er and you cannot find any with generators and if you do, or have it added, they're propane powered and use a LOT of fuel.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
You said ~ (Would it be best to purchase a toy hauler with generator already installed?) Yes and the price well go about approximately $3000 grad. But it's really up to you how often you'll be using it. Some here run two deep cycle 6 volt batteries with LED lights or Solar and so on. I've dragged a generator around for a few years it's a pain but that's my opinion. And if you want to run your AC it's nice to just push a button on the inside. My current Toy Hauler has a generator built in. Love it!!!!
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer

2017 F250 PSD 4X4

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Either. We have a 7500 Onan and it runs off Auxillary fuel tank and is in back of pickup. Very quiet and uses 10 gal in 24 hr running AC about 50/50 plus everything else. A diesel Onan will run about 15000 to 18k hrs without overhaul, doesn't need a alternator and will not work itself to death. Ask Honda owners how many hours theirs last.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
If you haven't bought the new trailer yet, keep looking.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

trikeflyer
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased mine with the gen installed. If you want to stop overnight it's really nice just to hit the button. That being said if I am dry camping for several days I put out my 2 Honda 2000's and use those since they use much less fuel and are much cheaper to replace when they die. On the Honda's you are limited to one AC.

Y-Guy
dedmiston wrote:
Preinstalled is best.
Gen prep kit is second, but not great.
No gen and no prep is a bad choice. It will cost you thousands at resale.

x2 - get it now and don't worry about it I've had RVs with & without, would not buy one without one.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

dedmiston
Preinstalled is best.
Gen prep kit is second, but not great.
No gen and no prep is a bad choice. It will cost you thousands at resale.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you are really planning on running BOTH A/C units, a generator that big is OVERKILL ! Plus, it will drink a lot of gas !!

There are a lot of nice portable inverter generators to choose from on the 3000-4000 watt range. They will only run 1 A/C, but they are A) less expensive, B) use less fuel and C) QUIET !

The question is, where would you mount a permanent or portable generator ? A portable can just be thrown in with your toys (lashed down, of course) and pulled out first when you arrive at your destination.

Securing your generator (lock and chain) are a MUST ! If you are going to be gone all day, you might want to consider turn it off and putting it back inside and then locking the hauler. Out of site, out of temptation !

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Did it come with the opening/hole for a generator?

Any shop that specializes in Onan generators can install one for you.
I would hope it is all prewired for it.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail