Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ram or Toyota

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
we're down to a couple of choices that fit our budget

a 4 year old Toyota tundra, big v8, 4wd, all the usual bells and whistles, 40,000 miles, $28000

new (demo) ram 1500, hemi, 6 speed 1500, 4wd, same bells and whistles, 4000 miles, $33000

im partial to the Toyota because of their reputation and good resale, dw doesn't care either way

towing capacities are virtually the same(payload and gross)
Toyota is far more refined in every respect, fuel mileage is very close

crawling around under the Toyota is an eye opener, built like a brick ****house!

our tt is 4060 lbs loaded with 480 on the tongue including the hitch system, 3100 dry from the manufacturer

we tow 8-9000 km per year, mostly high speed(100-105 kmh)
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260
98 REPLIES 98

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
mudfuel07 wrote:
falconbrother wrote:
I buy American made, when it comes to vehicles. I would buy a Ford or Chevrolet. My brother has the Toyota and it's a good truck, good power. But, the Ecoboost Fords are great power as well.

After my first retirement I worked on a construction site managing an aspect of the ARRA (American Reinvestment and Recovery Act) funding. I saw jobs created by the "Buy America" aspect of the act. Buying American products matters more than most people realize I think.

People like you crack me up. My Tundra was built in Texas. Where was the Turd, I mean, Ford made? I sure hope that you are sending smoke signals up to post this, since I bet your computer was made somewhere else. The dealerships that sell them have American workers, a lot of the parts that go into all vehicles are both foreign and domestic made. Personally, you couldn't give me a Turd, if I ever decided on a diesel, it will either have a bowtie or a goat on it.

Lighten up Francis... :R
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
falconbrother wrote:
I buy American made, when it comes to vehicles. I would buy a Ford or Chevrolet. My brother has the Toyota and it's a good truck, good power. But, the Ecoboost Fords are great power as well.

After my first retirement I worked on a construction site managing an aspect of the ARRA (American Reinvestment and Recovery Act) funding. I saw jobs created by the "Buy America" aspect of the act. Buying American products matters more than most people realize I think.

Amen Brother....
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
falconbrother wrote:

as said before, there's as much or more American/Canadian content in a Toyota than your ford, same with Nissan

there is a Toyota plant an hour away from me, ordinary semi trucks deliver parts, they don't come in seacans from overseas

where was your "American" ford built? and where did its parts come from? you'd be shocked if you knew
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
My Nissan truck was made in Tennessee. My brothers Chevy truck was made in Mexico. Last time I checked the map, Tennessee was in the USA.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
falconbrother wrote:

I understand where you're coming from and I agree with you 100%.

But where we might differ, is that I want goods, vehicles, etc, that are made in the USA and support American workers. When I bought my Tundra in 2008 I took a lot of flack on this forum; it's Jap/****/all/the/profits/go/to/Japan, etc, etc.

But what I found out was the Tundra (at the time) had the largest percentage of US made parts, was made by American workers, and Toyota was a publicly traded company (negating the "all the profits go back to Japan" argument).

So my position became that if it is made in America, by American workers, I'll support it if the net result is it helps the American worker.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
mudfuel07 wrote:
falconbrother wrote:

People like you crack me up. My Tundra was built in Texas. Where was the Turd, I mean, Ford made? I sure hope that you are sending smoke signals up to post this, since I bet your computer was made somewhere else. The dealerships that sell them have American workers, a lot of the parts that go into all vehicles are both foreign and domestic made. Personally, you couldn't give me a Turd, if I ever decided on a diesel, it will either have a bowtie or a goat on it.

It wasn't intended as a personal attack. Just a first hand observation.

mudfuel07
Explorer
Explorer
falconbrother wrote:

2020 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD 4x4 Tradesman(with a few toys)
2020 Puma by Palomino 32RBFQ for the kids!

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
mudfuel07 wrote:
stevemorris wrote:
we drove the Toyota, ram 1500 pighorn and ford 150(v8), all similar in most respects(towing/payload) capabilities
even got to try towing our trailer with a Toyota(small v8)

its Toyota all the way

Great choice! Of course I'm biased.

X2. 🙂
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

mudfuel07
Explorer
Explorer
stevemorris wrote:
we drove the Toyota, ram 1500 pighorn and ford 150(v8), all similar in most respects(towing/payload) capabilities
even got to try towing our trailer with a Toyota(small v8)

its Toyota all the way

Great choice! Of course I'm biased.
2020 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD 4x4 Tradesman(with a few toys)
2020 Puma by Palomino 32RBFQ for the kids!

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
I believe he could have easily paid $20k less than a domestic 3/4 ton truck. The Titans aren't selling well and dealers are giving huge discounts to get them off the lot. My co-worker just picked up a new leftover '16 (yup, new 2 year old truck) loaded Titan XD for $42k (CDN). My '17 Ram 2500 Laramie was $64k after $20k in rebates (stickered at $84k)
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
demiles wrote:
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
You guys know that, the 5.0 Cummins engine was designed for the Ram back in 2004 for MY 2007 don't you? ****-Liar requested Cummins build a small V8 diesel for the 1500 Ram but when diesel fuel prices went though the roof they walked away from it. Cummins sued us and the Germans had to pay the RD costs for it. It had been sitting on Cummins shelf for years.

When Fred Diaz (was told to leave) left FCA to go to Nissan, less then a year later Nissan announced they where coming out with a 1500 truck equipped with the 5.0 Cummins. Coincidence, I think not.

I have a friend that has a Cummins equipped Nissan and wishes he never bought it. Besides the thing being a dog it is a fuel hog to boot. He said it is worse then his any of his Ford HD trucks.

Don

7500 total miles with 2000 towing 8000lbs have been completely trouble free. 22mpg highway 18.5 average, 10-13 mpg towing . Add the fact I paid 20k less then a diesel truck from the big three, there’s no failure here.

$20k???

You paid $6k less than I did and my truck has 4wd versus your 2wd which eats up quite a bit of that difference.

x2, Diesel is about a $9,000 option in a 2500.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
demiles wrote:
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
You guys know that, the 5.0 Cummins engine was designed for the Ram back in 2004 for MY 2007 don't you? ****-Liar requested Cummins build a small V8 diesel for the 1500 Ram but when diesel fuel prices went though the roof they walked away from it. Cummins sued us and the Germans had to pay the RD costs for it. It had been sitting on Cummins shelf for years.

When Fred Diaz (was told to leave) left FCA to go to Nissan, less then a year later Nissan announced they where coming out with a 1500 truck equipped with the 5.0 Cummins. Coincidence, I think not.

I have a friend that has a Cummins equipped Nissan and wishes he never bought it. Besides the thing being a dog it is a fuel hog to boot. He said it is worse then his any of his Ford HD trucks.

Don

7500 total miles with 2000 towing 8000lbs have been completely trouble free. 22mpg highway 18.5 average, 10-13 mpg towing . Add the fact I paid 20k less then a diesel truck from the big three, there’s no failure here.

$20k???

You paid $6k less than I did and my truck has 4wd versus your 2wd which eats up quite a bit of that difference.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Thought I'd share an interesting little tidbit that just happened to me. My 2015 Ram 1500 just had the rear differential taken out by a plastic bag. Somebody lost a load of garbage ahead of me. I ran over some plastic fabric, maybe a bag, which wrapped around the area where the drive shaft enters the pumpkin, which in turn destroyed the pinion seal. Didn't know it until I got home and could smell that delightful gear fluid odor. Awesome! NOT!
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE