cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bumper Problems - 2016 Grand Caravan

wizards8507
Explorer
Explorer
When I purchased my 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan a few months ago, I had the dealer install the OEM hitch and wiring with an eye towards a future trailer. I never looked too closely back there since we weren't quite ready to pull the trigger on the camper purchase, but my wife was recently involved in a collision that required the bumper to be removed and repaired. Looking at it now, it appears that either the bumper or the towing equipment were not installed properly. I'm not sure if it was the dealer who installed it wrong in the first place or the repair shop who didn't reinstall the bumper correctly.

https://i.imgur.com/QINLUdq.jpg

There are two issues. First, the bumper doesn't appear to be fastened to the car the way it should. Second, I can't open the door to the wiring connector socket because the lip of the bumper itself is in the way. Does anyone have any advice here?
16 REPLIES 16

wizards8507
Explorer
Explorer
This has been resolved. Thanks to everyone who weighed in, especially mike-s. The body shop played dumb until I printed and showed them the exact installation instructions that mike-s had linked to.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
rrupert wrote:
In the installation drawings it appears that the electrical receptacle is mounted just to the left of the receiver and it's tilted down at maybe a 45 degree angle. Maybe the mounting bracket for it is not OEM.

From my memory of installing the Mopar hitches at the dealer. They don’t come with a 7-way bracket. So that was added in after the fact. But the fact is the body shop should’ve done the job properly, they could’ve went back for an “add” to properly clearance the cover to fit correctly. Even if it’s aftermarket hey can get paid.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
In the installation drawings it appears that the electrical receptacle is mounted just to the left of the receiver and it's tilted down at maybe a 45 degree angle. Maybe the mounting bracket for it is not OEM.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

wizards8507
Explorer
Explorer
mike-s wrote:
Assuming that's really an OEM hitch, the installation instructions are here (hitch found here), and it replaces the bumper (the actual steel bumper, not the cover). The mounting holes in the bumper cover and the hitch should line up, they don't in your picture.

The collision may have bent the hitch, which is also the bumper. Or maybe the bumper cover just needs to be notched. Part of the installation is also notching out the bumper cover (see steps 21 and 22). It looks like that wasn't done for the replacement. Maybe that's all that's keeping things from lining up and allowing access to the connector.

Thanks Mike, that's exactly what happened (assuming "notched" means "cut out"). Seeing the instructions laid out like that makes it absolutely clear what the problem is. I thought they had repaired the old bumper cover but now I'm thinking this one is a replacement and they didn't "notch" it like you said.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming that's really an OEM hitch, the installation instructions are here (hitch found here), and it replaces the bumper (the actual steel bumper, not the cover). The mounting holes in the bumper cover and the hitch should line up, they don't in your picture.

The collision may have bent the hitch, which is also the bumper. Or maybe the bumper cover just needs to be notched. Part of the installation is also notching out the bumper cover (see steps 21 and 22). It looks like that wasn't done for the replacement. Maybe that's all that's keeping things from lining up and allowing access to the connector.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Like I said, talk to your insurance company and let them know that you think the hitch was installed wrong and you want to take it to the dealer to get it checked out. Insurance companies are scared to death of the liability of hitches and will get someone who knows what they're doing take a look at it. Stress that you feel it's "unsafe". Make sure you use the "unsafe" buzzword. Trust me, I've dealt with these matters before.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

wizards8507
Explorer
Explorer
Spoke to the dealer, the insurance company, and the body shop that did the collision repair and now I'm stuck in between everyone pointing fingers at each other. The dealer says the body shop did the repair wrong and the body shop says the dealer botched the initial installation. I don't care who fixes it, I just want it done and I don't want to pay for it.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
The vehicle is new enough that unless you've driven it to death it should still be under warranty.

Find a Grand Caravan with the wiring properly installed, take photos of it, and take them to the dealer along with the van, and tell them you want it installed that way.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

wizards8507
Explorer
Explorer
rrupert wrote:
I assume your hitch is integral to the bumper if it is an OEM hitch. The after market hitches usually mount below the bumper. Assuming yours is OEM, I would make sure everything in mounted there properly. Maybe a trip to your dealership to
have them check it would be in order. If they think it isn't right take it back to the body shop. My concern would be that it isn't mounted properly both the bumper and hitch are in jeopardy of failure.

You're correct that it's an OEM hitch. I was able to get under there last night and compare it to some photos and installation videos I found online. It looks like the hitch itself is installed properly but I can't find any examples that have the wiring plug set up the way they did it on ours. It's mounted next to the hitch receiver and it seems to be what's causing the fit issue with the bumper cover. Most of the installations I've seen have the wiring loose and tucked up into the bumper itself, but this one is firmly mounted.

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
I assume your hitch is integral to the bumper if it is an OEM hitch. The after market hitches usually mount below the bumper. Assuming yours is OEM, I would make sure everything in mounted there properly. Maybe a trip to your dealership to
have them check it would be in order. If they think it isn't right take it back to the body shop. My concern would be that it isn't mounted properly both the bumper and hitch are in jeopardy of failure.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

Fast_Mopar
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like the person doing the work did not care what they were doing. I installed the hitch on my 2013 Grand Caravan myself, and my light plug is under it, so it looks different from yours. Draw Tite instructions will not help if it was originally a dealer item. The best bet is to go back to the body shop and have them fix it.
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2009 Chevy Cobalt XFE
2004 Ford Freestar 4.2 liter
2003 Jayco Qwest 12A
ex: 1969 Dodge Super Bee, 1973 Plymouth Road Runner, 1987 Dodge Shelby CSX
preserve the Second Amendment

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Can't tell anything from your picture but I suspect your Caravan has a unibody construction. Installing hitches on these vehicles is not like a pickup and a completely different ballgame. Did one once on the wife's old 1988 Ford Taurus Wagon.

Have somebody look at it that knows what they're looking at; probably a shop that specializes in installing hitches. Or, download the instructions from Drawtite or some other mfg and see how it's supposed to be installed.

At a minimum, contact your insurance company and let the know. Normally they will want to follow up on these types of issues for safety reasons.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Dodge Grand Caravan? Look for a small, light trailer when it’s fixed.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://i.imgur.com/QINLUdq.jpg
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021