cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is this the dish we need?

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
I know there are a lot of post on this subject and have read a bunch. We are ready to pull the trigger and want some advice specific to our situation please.

We have dish at home.

So far have not needed a sat dish except when we go to the keys, although we want one that will work anywhere in the US, at least the lower 48.

We only have one TV. Have a hookup for out side but don't anticipate using it much if at all.

Looking for a reasonable priced model that works well.

Got this info from Dish. https://www.dishformyrv.com/dish-tailgater/?st-t=INT_email&utm_campaign=2017%20October%20Newsletter&...

It says it works with wally, 211 or 411 receivers.

We have a wally at home but don't plan on taking it since we have some programs set to record that we like.

This is supposed to be the " new " tailgater.

Price is 299 and I think they have a 10.00 off coupon also.

We have a 28' TT, 2017 Apex which I think you can just hook the Sat up to the outside connection although I am not sure about that. ( anyone know for sure ? )

Any thought and suggestions are appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8

PamfromVA
Explorer
Explorer
used it at Zion in August when it was 108 and it was in the sun and didn't have any problem with it shutting down. as a matter of fact, used it across country and didn't have any problems at all.
2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2017 Dodge Ram 3500
One DH
two very spoiled camping dogs

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
I second the vote for the Winegard Pathway X2. A little more but it works great and gets both arcs.

the only complaint with this dish is if your in real hot sun it overheats and will not work
so if its like 95 out in the shade and this dish is in the hot direct sunlight it will overheat and shut down (personal experience)

PamfromVA
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Winegard Pathway X2 and it works great.
2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2017 Dodge Ram 3500
One DH
two very spoiled camping dogs

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I second the vote for the Winegard Pathway X2. A little more but it works great and gets both arcs.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
lryrob9301.. How would I modify the coax? I don't think mine is labeled sat. It works fine for cable but sat probably requires a different cable.

Current wire runs from back left of TT to tv, I have no idea how it gets there? Guess a new wire could be run through storage and under bed area. Need to check on that.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
A better choice for a dish would be a Winegard Pathway X2. It has a larger reflector than the western arc only Tailgater for a stronger signal with less rain fade, and it can access both the Dish eastern and western arc satellites for more aiming options on treed sites. In some parts of the east coast, the local stations are only available on the eastern arc satellites. As said, you'll still need a Wally or "Solo" series receiver on board.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
For your needs that antenna should work very well. Unless your outside connection is specifically labeled for "Satellite" I doubt it will work. However the coax wiring can be modified to make it useable.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
If you are not going to take your home Wally with you you will need the "bundle".
Tailgater Bundle

It should work thru your sat.in hookup on your trailer if it was wired correctly at the factory.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand