cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fuel caps

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
We were required to replace our 150 gallon fuel tank due to a crack resulting from the tank flexing as the pressure in the tank varying, as the fuel is used the space of that fuel must be replaced by air. the new fuel tank caps require a vacuum pressure to be created prior to the cap to allow any air to enter.
This is mandated by EPA so as to not allow fuel vapors to escape to the atmosphere.
As it turns out this pressure is too great for the large tanks, and will cause the tank to flex way too much.

be aware buy the proper caps.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.
8 REPLIES 8

path1
Explorer
Explorer
I've got one of these (link below) laying in my carport right now. You can have it if it will fit your fuel filler hose size, I'm near SeaTac. Best results the nipple gets a chunk of hose, then a pre 1970 VW bug fuel filter to keep out dirt, which is better than OEM, which is a nipple sticking out on top of fuel module.

Awhile ago on the Cummins web site, a guy spent lots of $$$ for a venting problem. Turned out his "vented" fuel cap was no longer venting because of dust/dirt in fuel cap mechanism.

http://cppdiesel.com/fass-rm1001-return-line-t-universal/

If your going to drill any holes, get a "stant" brand locking fuel cap. The type that has a cover tab for the keyway. Drill out the keyway slot that is under the tab and all the way through other side. The tab works as cover for the newly drilled "vent".
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:

Good non explaination answer but I'd use a smaller drill bit.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
You may need to shop a vintage parts store but try the big suppliers like Witney (JC Witney) in Chicago or on line.. I mean you can still get Model T parts from them .

This is a great idea.

2 pounds pressure in a 150 gallon tank would be a working force of 14,768 pounds. With 2 HQ of Vacuum, the same is applied in reverse. work this tank that much over 18 years and you've got a problem.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You may need to shop a vintage parts store but try the big suppliers like Witney (JC Witney) in Chicago or on line.. I mean you can still get Model T parts from them .
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
The vented cap should only be 2 PSI and 2" of vacuum.
The non vented cap is the one you don't want.
You can still buy them both.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
path1 wrote:
Subscribed...Sounds like they are making you upgrade to current standards. My 2001 Cummins 5.9 came stock with a vent on top of tank. I don't see why you would have to "upgrade" to a newer standard with the fuel system built by OEM in 2000.

All you can buy now are the pressure vented caps?

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Subscribed...Sounds like they are making you upgrade to current standards. My 2001 Cummins 5.9 came stock with a vent on top of tank. I don't see why you would have to "upgrade" to a newer standard with the fuel system built by OEM in 2000.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"