Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First TT

burgawpm
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks,
My wife and I are in the process of selling our business and then hit the road.
We are looking at TT's for us and the dog. The most important as far as floorplan is, open floorplan with king bed and nice size bath. I think we have narrowed it down to these.
Keystone Cougar 24RBS, Cruiser MPG 2250RB, Cruiser Embrace R-23B.
Are there others in this size that have king beds? Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated
25 REPLIES 25

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
DawnandMikeE wrote:
WE pick up our new Wild Wood 27 REI today. I know it does not have a king size bed. But it has a few good things like a fire place and a kitchen island with two slides. We got it for what we liked in a floor plan. And we could not beat the deal that was offered to us.

Awesome! 27 feet is the perfect size we think. We had a 28 foot class A motorhome and got use to the basically wasted space where the engine and seats are located. The 27 foot TT with the big slide is plenty of room for us and feels way bigger than the motorhome did. It would be easy to full time in. The weights in that size are 1/2 ton friendly. It's a real comfortable size all the way around.

arkie_guide
Explorer
Explorer
Sir, on TT I think your choice of 24' + or _ a foot, is a very good choice, the durability of any depends on the care you take of it.I have pulled 24' tag along's many miles with a F 150, tow package with largest engine offered, and have never been sorry.Alaska, Mexico, thru Canada, mountains and all. Good luck.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
DawnandMikeE wrote:
WE pick up our new Wild Wood 27 REI today. I know it does not have a king size bed. But it has a few good things like a fire place and a kitchen island with two slides. We got it for what we liked in a floor plan. And we could not beat the deal that was offered to us.

Congrats on your new home. You will love the opposing slides as it opens up the floor plan sooo much. I see there is also a real door to the bedroom too, something my wife likes in our unit because I get up earlier than she does. Clothing storage is a little lacking but you will manage. Enjoy your new trailer.

We on here talk about tow vehicles a lot because we have been there and done that and the tow vehicle matters in the whole experience of RVing. Your new rig is 7400 lbs and loaded you will be 8000 or more so that means a tongue weight of 840 lbs or a bit more even. Your TV needs a rear axle rating to handle this plus everything you carry in the TV, you, the wife, the dog, gas.....etc. and a payload rating to handle all of the tongue weight and TV contents. Figure out the gross combined vehicle weight....go to the scales when you are all loaded up to go camping and find out your real numbers.

The trailer is only half of the combination and a well matched combo will only make the total experience that much more pleasurable.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
burgawpm wrote:
Hi folks,
My wife and I are in the process of selling our business and then hit the road.
We are looking at TT's for us and the dog. The most important as far as floorplan is, open floorplan with king bed and nice size bath. I think we have narrowed it down to these.
Keystone Cougar 24RBS, Cruiser MPG 2250RB, Cruiser Embrace R-23B.
Are there others in this size that have king beds? Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated

I am to lazy to look up all those models, but... are they all 24 feet or less in length? The reason I'm asking is that for extended "camping", you might want a little bigger. Especially if it turns into full timing.

DawnandMikeE
Explorer
Explorer

arkie_guide
Explorer
Explorer
I have used many sizes tag along and 5th wheel, 35' and down, the best thing you can start out with is 22' to 24', but a used one first if your not satisfied you trade up.I have had several 24 foot and they worked out ghreat. Do not buy a high dollar unit until your satisfied. Good luck.

jbjuices
Explorer
Explorer
My favorite TV is the Samsung 4k...all kidding aside, have you looked at Open Range by Highland Ridge? Great camper, very nice quality and has the features your looking for.
RV: 2018 Highland Ridge Open Range 328BHS
TV: 2017 Ford F350 Platinum
2nd RV: 2010 Jayco 1207 PUP
2nd TV: 2004 Ford Excursion V10
Me ('72), DW ('76),
DS ('02), DD ('05), DD ('08)
Yellow Lab ('14), Golden Doodle ('12), Bichon Frise ('18)

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get a very capable tow vehicle and then find something that works within the capability of your TV. If you're full-timing 23 feet's going to get really crowded in a hurry. Every extra foot will really help. Personally I'd go a little bigger and have a super-slide, which I do. We're pulling with a 9th gen Suburban 5.3. The chassis and suspension is great, no complaints at all. Our iron 5.3 is a shade on the weak side for my taste. It does better than vehicles we have had in the past but, it won't be winning any races. The new Suburbans with tow package are more capable in every way. We're pulling 30.6 feet (27 foot) with roughly a 6500lb wet weight. When I started looking I wanted to avoid Chevrolet but, this thing was such a steal I had to get it. Since then I have found the Suburban to be a good, well built, reliable, comfortable vehicle.

Downwindtracke1
Explorer
Explorer
That makes sense. Towing can go from eyes front with no blood left in those hands to "Oh look at the beautiful view."

Terrain governs TV choice. Flatlanders don't need powerful diesels but here in the west if I wanted to watch grass grow I'ld drive a gasser.

My buddy researches things to death, suggests the ideal size is 22' to 24' box.
Adventure before dementia

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Man.

You folks sure love to talk about tow vehicles.

The poor guy just wants opinions about the trailers.

Geesh.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Our approach was to select the TT we thought we wanted, then we rented a similar size and floor plan.

A week or 10 day at different campsites in the Ozarks, taught us a lot about the tow vehicle, floor plan, 10 mpg, finding the right gas station entrance and exit and the overall experiences of pulling one of these barns down the road.

It definitely eliminated any buyer's remorse as we new exactly what we were getting into. We bought a used 25 ft. TT and never looked back on the decision.

Good Luck.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Grateful_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
sgfrye wrote:
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
Another voice for the Tow vehicle being a truck. While your Burb or other SUV may handle the trailers your looking at very well. As a new full timer, chances are, the first trailer you purchase, will not really be suitable, and you will be looking at changing in a year or so, IF you were to have to purchase both the trailer and a tow vehicle, that's a much tougher hit, than just changing to a larger trailer or possibly a 5th wheel. Get a 3/4 ton truck to start to avoid the dilemma later.
happy motorin

x2 on this post... been there done that

Another yes to this as the new owner of new to me 3/4 ton. I have various trailers with tahoe, suburban, F150, now F250 - and there is no comparison with any of those to the 250 - it is less stress than towing a pop up with my tahoe.

Honestly, if you are looking at 3/4 tons - I am not sure the modern diesels are worth the upgrade from gas models. You will get better MPG with the diesel, but they are about 10K-15K more than gas models, and the fuel is currently about .70 higher per gallon here. In addition to that, if something needs repairing on a newer diesel, you will be lucky to spend less than $1,500.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
Another voice for the Tow vehicle being a truck. While your Burb or other SUV may handle the trailers your looking at very well. As a new full timer, chances are, the first trailer you purchase, will not really be suitable, and you will be looking at changing in a year or so, IF you were to have to purchase both the trailer and a tow vehicle, that's a much tougher hit, than just changing to a larger trailer or possibly a 5th wheel. Get a 3/4 ton truck to start to avoid the dilemma later.
happy motorin

x2 on this post... been there done that

flemerdad
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at the Lance model 2285 TT. We have a 2011 model and the two of us have spent a lot of time in it. Very comfortable. It's 27 ft long and has enough storage, including a closet, something you don't see in most TTs.

As for towing, get your wife into an F150 with the eco-boost V6. An XLT or higher trim. level rides like a car. We have a 2013 with the tow package and it pulls the trailer like a dream. Just got back from Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. No problems in the mountains and in the tow mode, the transmission will keep you at speed going down steep roads. We did one stretch of 8% grade and I kept it at 45 with just a little braking.

Take your time. Whatever tow vehicle you buy, get the tow package. That's a must. Good luck and have fun!
Paul & Sandy
2011 Lance Model 2285
2013 F150 3.5 EcoBoost, towing package