cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chevy 2500HD Tires

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for new tires for a Chevy 2500HD. Street tires only, no all-terrain, no mud, no snow. 16" rims. What do you recommend? Thanks
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer
27 REPLIES 27

GadgetmanUSA
Explorer
Explorer
Bridgestone Duravis M773.
2016 Ford F150 3.5 EcoBoost,Max Tow,LT tires.
2018 Forest River Ultra Lite 2604ws
BluOx 1500lb bars.

bhall
Explorer
Explorer
brulaz wrote:
bhall wrote:
I only got 30k miles on the Transforce HTs on my 2015 Silverado 2500. Never again.

The OEM Firestone Transforce ATs are not wearing well on my RAM 2500. They'll prolly be gone by 30K miles.

Have heard that OEM tires in general are worse than the same tire aftermarket. But dunno if that's true.

Anyway, I too will never buy a Firestone Transforce HT or AT again.

That's the line that Firestone told me over the phone. They make the tires to "OEM Mfg. Specs". So, I went down to a local shop that also sells Firestone and the tires they had in that size had the exact same TPC number which is what I understand is the tire "Spec code".

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have had 2 sets of Michelin LTX M&S. Found them to be great for quiet ride, traction in snow, smoothness, long life, etc., but terrible at straight ahead steering. They drift all over road and I have to steer into the wind or road crown. In this respect they were much worse than the OEM tires on two different vehicles. I will not buy them again. This may not bother others--it doesn't seem to bother my son on his F-350. He got poor traction and poor life from Grabber HTS tires.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Michelin's installed and riding smooth.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Yokahama YK-HTX

have a 2013 F-150 that I got close to 55K from the factory Michelins. Wife has Ford Escape that we got close to 100K out of the factory Michelins as well. Was ready to go back with the same until the guy as Discount Tire said I should look at the Yokahamas.

I ended up going with them, saved about $100 over the cost of comparable Michelins and got a longer warranty. Might want to consider them as well. So far, I've got close to 28K miles on them and have been real happy. If they ultimately turn out to be turds, I'll go back with the Michelins.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

robrose1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Original bridgestones lasted 18k. I went with Hankook all terrain tires and they wore so bad that Discount Tire took them back and I went with Yokohama Geolanders. They only lasted 25k. I went with Michelin LTX and they have been fantastic. No issues and quiet.
Rob and Rose
2013 Winnebago Lite Five 29FWRLS
2006 GMC DURAMAX/ALLISON

gopherslayer
Explorer
Explorer
Nitto Dura Grapplers are on my yukon XL 2500. Extremely quiet. Trailers nice. When they're new they're a little squirrelly from the mold release on them. After a few hundred miles that goes away.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer the Michelin's... will do some shopping around on price. Thanks
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
For the use OP is after a set of Michelins sounds like a great fit. I ran several on that same truck and was very happy. I've since gone to a 4 season due to needing some more winter/off-road use but would go back to Michelin in an instant if my usage warranted it.

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
I have never gotten over 34,000 miles on Michelin LTX. Would look at Bridgestone or Yokohama. Had to purchase LTX again on a trip through El Centro on a Sunday from Sears. Only tire store that was open. Would not do that again either.
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
brulaz wrote:
Gulfcoast wrote:
Looking for new tires for a Chevy 2500HD. Street tires only, no all-terrain, no mud, no snow. 16" rims. What do you recommend? Thanks

Michelin LTX MS/2, the LT-E version, worked well for me, excellent gas mileage and longevity. But as soon as you got off the pavement and onto mud or grass they were problematic.

X-2
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

blt2ski
If you want TRUE street tires, if it is still made, the XPS Rib my Michelin......Boy, I did not type michiblow! hmmmmm getting old I guess.....

I have only had luck with one michilen tire, that is the XDE M+S on my MDT. Since redesigned and name changed.

With this in mind, Cooper and Toyo make great street/Highway tires all labeled with an HT after name. I have a set on my truck now, made for Discount tire. Looks like some of the performance tires one sees on SUV's. Overall, good tire in rain, ok in slushy snow, nothing to wright home about.....throw some chains on, you go forward. No road noise to my slightly deaf ears. Cost was cheap compared to others, with a 60K warranty.

I also got 70+K miles out of some Firestone HT's on a work van. It could be that the OEM tires vs OE Firestone have a different rubber, depth etc so they do not last as long. Worked very well in rain and dry pavement. Slushy snow was not worth talking about, but I survived!

marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
Gulfcoast,

If you want very quiet tires with superb traction and very long wearing, go with Michelin LTX MS/2 "E" (80 PSI) tires. I strongly suggest going one tire size higher than the OEM size. Like for example: 265 vs 245 size. The OEM's are at the minimum size for the truck's rated GVWR. Having 3415 capacity vs 3040 is lowering your % tire load by ~10%. Thus the higher capacity tire will not be at 100% capacity like the OEM size would be.

Michelin's cost more initially than the run of the mill tires/brands but will give higher mileage quiet wear life so cheaper in the long run. My personal and business pickups consistently got between 89K and 97K miles before replacing with another same size Michelin tire and they were always replaced when the tread depth got below 3mm or 1/8 inch left so they were not near bald yet.

My trucks (2500's and 3500's and mostly all GM) were usually always loaded with cargo's over 1500 to 3000+ lbs in weight. They are used as trucks not grocery getters! The cargo weight in the truck's rear transfers its weight force to the truck's rear tires with pressure on the tire's tread and sidewalls which of course causes sidewall flexing. Flexing creates tire heat buildup. Sidewall carcass design strength and high tire inflation is what incredibly important as it is what supports the weight put on the tire. Michelin LTX tires are designed to handle the weight. Many tire brands have much weaker sidewalls and they flex a lot and heat builds up.

Keep your tires always inflated to over 70 psi or to 80 psi so the tire flexing is kept to minimum on highways speed traveling as it's heat that accelerates thread wear and compromises the tire carcass structure. Consistently rotate your tires at each 5000 to 6000 miles. DO NOT use any tire shine type chemicals/coatings on any tire as it causes the rubber to develop small cracks which only get bigger and deeper. Tire shine using is for car shows or when getting a best trade in value number!!!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
bhall wrote:
I only got 30k miles on the Transforce HTs on my 2015 Silverado 2500. Never again.

The OEM Firestone Transforce ATs are not wearing well on my RAM 2500. They'll prolly be gone by 30K miles.

Have heard that OEM tires in general are worse than the same tire aftermarket. But dunno if that's true.

Anyway, I too will never buy a Firestone Transforce HT or AT again.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow