cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch at the door

FarmerBob
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2006 National 29'. On the left when you go in the door there is a switch box with compartment light switch, step, porch, battery disconnect buttons. The battery disconnect and step switch do not work. I wanted to disconnect the house batteries for the winter but I cannot do that with the door closed, so that means the steps will be stuck in the out position. Anyone know how I can fix this? Not sure how to post a picture of this switch box.
Thanks, Bob
24 REPLIES 24

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I stand corrected on one point. They won't retract after using the last out feature. However, his problem is the switches. Fix those, and he's gold. Or, like MrWizard says, he could use a step stool. But switches aren't that expensive.

BTW, as I've said, most RVs wire the steps into the chassis battery, not the house battery. They do that for safety. I leave my house battery turned off all the time in storage, yet the step still extends/retracts every time I open the door.

How about this idea: while standing outside, hold a magnet at the door trigger to raise the step, and while holding it there disconnect the battery.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

MrWizard
everybody is offering, retract suggestions, they all need battery power

my understanding is , He wants to stand at the door
shut off the battery switch aka disconnect battery
and have the steps retract AFTER he gets out and shuts the door
with the battery already turned off/disconnected

that AN'T GONNA HAPPEN

he wants the steps retracted in storage mode with battery off
BUT wants to use the steps to get out of the RV
after disconnecting the battery

AN'T GONNA HAPPEN

use a step stool, use a drivers door,
or leave the step out, like it is intended

i don't see any other Valid options
for comming out the door with battery disconnected
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
CA Traveler wrote:
I can easily retract my steps while in storage, but don't.

If you can't place a magnet near the door switch then add a switch and some wiring so that the door will remain retracted while open. But either of these can introduce a safety issue since it's expected to have the steps out with the door open.

I know I posted the magnet suggestion.....

But that is how *I* did it.

There was a period of time when Wife and I had no car.. So we'd go to ALDI (Nice low price high quality grocer) and she'd fill a cart.. instead of bagging and hauling bags she'd push the cart back to the motor home (in the lot) and I'd flip the switch retracting the steps (After she came in and I stepped out) I'd hand up the groceries. Flip the switch back down and push the cart back and recover her quarter.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
4x4van wrote:
A few things here; First, my Itasca has the step wired to the chassis battery, not the house battery. Turning off the house battery has no effect on it.

Second, turning the ignition on, regardless of the step switch position, overrides the step switch and will raise the step when you close the door.

Next, if the switch is turned off, the step will STAY in the position it is currently in, regardless of whether you open the door or not. In other words, turning the switch off when the steps are retracted will keep the steps retracted. Turning the switch off with the steps extended will keep the steps extended, regardless of opening or closing the door.

HOWEVER, there is an exception: The "last out" feature (also known as "auto extend") will override the switch's "off" position ONCE after the ignition has been turned off, and extend the steps the FIRST time you open the door, and then retract when you close the door. Subsequent opening/closing should have no effect; the steps should remain retracted.

Here is a link to the service manual. Scroll down to page 32 of the pdf, and you can read exactly how the system works.

NOT completely correct. You Turn the KEY OFF, The step switch is in the OFF position. You open the door and the step(Last out) will extend. When you close the door, the steps will STAY extended, they will NOT retract after the last out has activated. If yours retract, you have it miswired. Now, you have the KEY ON, regardless of the ON/OFF step switch position the steps will extend and retract with the door opening and closing. Doug

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
A few things here; First, my Itasca has the step wired to the chassis battery, not the house battery. Turning off the house battery has no effect on it.

Second, turning the ignition on, regardless of the step switch position, overrides the step switch and will raise the step when you close the door.

Next, if the switch is turned off, the step will STAY in the position it is currently in, regardless of whether you open the door or not. In other words, turning the switch off when the steps are retracted will keep the steps retracted. Turning the switch off with the steps extended will keep the steps extended, regardless of opening or closing the door.

HOWEVER, there is an exception: The "last out" feature (also known as "auto extend") will override the switch's "off" position ONCE after the ignition has been turned off, and extend the steps the FIRST time you open the door, and then retract when you close the door. Subsequent opening/closing should have no effect; the steps should remain retracted.

Here is a link to the service manual. Scroll down to page 32 of the pdf, and you can read exactly how the system works.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
whats does this mean
"""
the door will remain retracted while open.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can easily retract my steps while in storage, but don't.

If you can't place a magnet near the door switch then add a switch and some wiring so that the door will remain retracted while open. But either of these can introduce a safety issue since it's expected to have the steps out with the door open.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
On our previous Coachmen, if I shut off the coach batteries with the steps extended and then turned on the ignition switch briefly, they would retract and not extend again when the door opened. I haven't tried that on our current Landau though.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
FarmerBob wrote:
Doug,
So you are saying they will always extend but if I disconnect the house batteries they will not retract?

They will ALWAYS retract. BUT, if retracted and you disconnect the COACH batteries, they have no power and will stay retracted. WHY is it important for the steps to be retracted in storage???? I believe your model has the Batteries in the entry stepwell? Doug

MrWizard
IDk think he has an operation problem

he wants to store the RV with batteries OFF and step retracted
but he wants to do it after he gets out of the RV

he turns off batteries, step does not retract

it is NOT designed for what he wants to do
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most steps are designed to stop when they hit something like a curb. Block the steps, open the door and disconnect the battery.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
FarmerBob wrote:
Doug,
So you are saying they will always extend but if I disconnect the house batteries they will not retract?

I believe that whats going on as how could they retract when the power is removed? but with power off they wont extend either

I would take some time and fix the switch and save all the worry later
or simply close the door with engine running and they should retract then have someone unplug the power supply to steps then simply open door and walk out and lock it for now

FarmerBob
Explorer
Explorer
Doug,

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
National connected the Steps to the COACH batteries. The steps also have a LAST OUT feature. That means regardless of what you do, the steps will ALWAYS extend when the door is opened. Kwikkee designed that to prevent someone falling out due to the steps staying retracted. Now, your problem is, you want the steps to stay retracted when stored. EVEN if the Battery disconnect worked, you still have to have the door open and steps extended, if you try to use the Disconnect system. The STEP power fuse should be next to the entry door in the storage compartment in the battery control fuse center. FIND that fuse and just pull it when the steps are retracted. Another way is to just disconnect the 4 wire step plug underneath by the steps. Doug