cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1971 Winnebago Indian Project

Blakradish
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a '71 Winnie 6 months ago. It was in great shape, 60K miles, almost perfect body, and interior, and a very solid engine.
I was considering towing a small trailer for a MC and extra stuff, so I upgraded the engine with a new Edelbrock carb, and intake, electronic ignition with a "ready to run" distributor, a new performance cam, new starter, recored radiator, and a transmission cooler.
On the inside I replaced two vents with fantastic fans, replaced the heavy and huge steel freshwater tanks with a PVC tank, and the old compressor pump with a new sureflow. A new tankless water heater replaced the 6 gal. and a couple of deep cycle batteries were added in order to reduce generator time.
I'm going to put a decent air mattress because it can go away when not in use, and if you add a 2" thick piece of really good foam, it's incredibly comfortable (I slept on this set-up for five years when I full-timed in my '64 Avion H-24.
4 REPLIES 4

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I am jealous. For a few years I have had my eye open for a 28 ft. Chieftain. Preferably a 76. But every one I find has been sitting unused with leaks and the insides were rotten. They are amazing coaches! Have fun. There is an excellent forum for Winnies and other classics. Lots of good info.

Moisheh

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Welcome!!
We really enjoy threads like these and would enjoy seeing your rig.

Bruce_Brown
Pictures, we need pictures!
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like a neat project. Post some pics when you get a chance.
I like vintage RV's. :C