cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Analog TV in my 2006 Hitchhiker

camilllit
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2006 rv has 2 analog TV's. We have been on a permanent site since before the switch to digital broadcasting. We had used the typical Comcast boxes in our rv. We now plan to travel....will our rooftop antenna and our analog TV's work in this digital world. I am confused because I've been told yes, no, will need a digital head up on my antenna, I will need digital TV's to replace my analog TV's that came in our new 2006 rv. I am no techy: I want our TV's to work whether we boondock and use rooftop antenna....... or connect a campground cable wire to our rv.
Please help and thank you.
19 REPLIES 19

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
This maybe to late, buy I have an analog to digital converter box I no longer need.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going to spend some time off grid, you may want to consider 12 volt LED TVs. That way you won't need an inverter to watch TV. Just look on the back of the TVs for a removable power cord with the power supply in the cord. Power supply may say 14 volts but it will work on your batteries.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I guess I was not clear.. The Winegard Sensar II and III with the original power supply/switch/wall palate work

But with the addition of the 30 dollar (DIY) Wingman Oh, you need a ladder and PERHAPS a pair of standard pliars (perhaps not, I used just fingers) to do the upgrade, nothing more

And replacign that wall plate with the SENSAR PRO. (About 100 bucks, you need a Screwdriver and 7/16" open end wrench).

You have the best RV TV antenna in the USA.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good decision to replace the old TVs. The above post is absolutely correct that your current antenna may not be adequate. With the advent of "digital" many channels switched to the UHF frequencies and older antennas often had to be upgraded or replaced due to their limited performance on UHF.

You might want to research your antenna and be prepared for a possible change.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I do like the suggestion to update TV's.. I did.. Though I don't take advantage of all the updates offer..

If you decide to keep the vintage jobs you will need a Digital TV converter.. They can be hard to find now days but you can still get 'em I'd try Micro-Center or Best Buy first (or Fry's) but those are not the only places.. Amazon or E-bay may work as well.

Advantages of update: Wide Screen, Crystal clear Video (or nothing) LIGHTER both in pounds and watts (LIke 1/10th the power consumption) and I was able to modify the head banger TV box in the front of my motor home so as not to give me headaches (The pounding kind) from banging my head.....

When I bought the pawned TV for that job I measured the existing TV's width and bought one the exact same width.. not as tall, but same width.. Then modified the box it goes in so it looks factory from where I'm sitting.

I would also do an antenna upgrade: Assuming you have a Winegard "Batwing" (Sensar II or III) add the wingman (It is technically called a UHF Director array) this will improve the range of the antenna on UHF which is where most digital transmissions landed.. Still the same VHF/UHF frequencies as before but where as Analog stations loved the VHF, Digital love UHF so add the upgrade.
About 30 bucks DIH

Then inside you have a wall plate with outlet, switch, light and antenna connection..... Upgrade that to the SENSAR PRO (About 100 bucks DIY)

NOTE that these upgardes are optional but they will improve performance.

Folks may try to sell you other makes of antennas.. NOTHING MADE for sale in the USA will outperform a winegard Sensar II or III with added wingman or a Sensar IV which comes with the Wingman already in the box as antennas go and the Sensar Pro beats all competitors for the indoor module and aiming aid as well.

One footnote: If you have two TV's in the same area (Some RV's do) Make sure they are DIFFERENT makes

If you have one in front and one in back.. Those can be the same

(Remotes work only one at a time) OH and Sansui and Dynex use many of the same remote codes.. (A benefit to me as that pawn shop special was a Dynex and came w/o a remote. but my Sansui remote did everything except INPUT select)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
My old 27" TV had both an analog input and a digital input. But the thing weighed about 40 lbs. I replaced it with a 32" LED TV. It is wider than the opening, but so thin that it mounts easily to the front of the cabinet without a problem.

From this:

To this:

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Shortly after the switch to digital and the need for converter box so our 25" analog TV would work I pulled it out of the compartment, built a new cabinet door and then purchased a 32" VIZIO which I hung on the face of the new cabinet door

That 25" was heavy and took up lots of cabinet space....now we have additional storage cabinet and great TV.

Bought and installed a smaller VIZIO in bedroom on an articulating arm.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
One of my most embarassing adventures was trying to help a friend get his new antenna to work. Could not get any picture at all on the TV, I was getting about 20 channels on mine next door. We worked all day, trying every combination before we figured out that his TV set was analog only. Tried a converter worked fine. He also replaced with a new bigger flat screen and loved it!
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Have fun, figuring out how to install the new screens depends on each installation. Lots of options, you can make it as simple or difficult as you feel like. You won't be disappointed with the results.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

camilllit
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your time and knowledge. I will replace both TV's with new digital flat screens, both being the same.
Thanks so much ๐Ÿ™‚

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Youโ€™ll save buckets of electricity when boondocking with new TVs.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
I used to have a 2005 Hitchhiker. I would highly recommend replacing that heavy old analog TV. They're pretty much worthless and the dump will charge you to get rid of them. When I replaced mine I used the area behind where the old TV was for storage. New TV's are relatively cheap and I would get a smart TV with netflix and Amazon built in.
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW, 4X4
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
camilllit wrote:
Our 2006 rv has 2 analog TV's. We have been on a permanent site since before the switch to digital broadcasting. We had used the typical Comcast boxes in our rv. We now plan to travel....will our rooftop antenna and our analog TV's work in this digital world. I am confused because I've been told yes, no, will need a digital head up on my antenna, I will need digital TV's to replace my analog TV's that came in our new 2006 rv. I am no techy: I want our TV's to work whether we boondock and use rooftop antenna....... or connect a campground cable wire to our rv.
Please help and thank you.

antenna will work just fine but you'll need one or two digital-to-analog converter boxes to view the digital transmissions. there is no such thing as a digital antenna so don't be fooled.

if you replace your analong sets with digital sets...probably your best solution...the antenna you have will be fine. if it's a winegard batwing you might consider adding either the wingman to it to aud in re eiving UHF signals or simply replacing the whole shebang with the Winegard Sensar IV...again, your best bet.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
If you replace the TV's please try to get 2 exactly alike. If you get different brands one might receive more stations or get better reception than the other. This will drive you crazy (I USED TO BE SANE)
Another tip is to get a TV with a puck in the cord The puck is a transformer that takes line voltage down to usually 12 volts. It looks like the cord on a laptop computer. If you get one with the transformer then you can just get a cord of the right kind and run the TV off the CIGARETTE lighter type outlet that is probably already near your TV
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind