cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stabilizing jacks don't really stabilize much at all

NickG
Explorer
Explorer
If this has been discussed (I can't believe it hasn't), I was not able to find anything in a quick search for it.

I recently bought a 2012 Forest River Flagstaff 27BHSS. It has electric stabilizer jacks in which I thought was an added bonus. My previous travel trailer was a 2001 Mallard 30E and is also the only other one I ever had.

I assumed the jacks would steady the trailer since the ones on my old Mallard did a great job. This Flagstaff may be different due to it being a "superlite", which I define as "flimsy". Still, shouldn't I expect a reasonable amount of steadiness? With the jacks fully down, the entire trailer reacts to anyone walking up the steps into the door. I can tell who it is by the amount the trailer moves. Also, If a kid turns over in a rear bunk, we feel the trailer rock all the way up in the front bed.

I can't be the only one experiencing this. What might our options be? Add more jacks?
50 REPLIES 50

Not applicable
I would assume that the TT's of the 50's thru the 70's without slideouts and full of real thick metals didn't move that much compared to the light weight stuff of today. Never been anything that old, just say'n
Me
DW
DS
DS
Oscar
Buddyboy

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
I use a pair of the Valterra 020106 trapezoid stabilizers, and they work so much better than anything else I've tried. They are very light, too. I don't see many people using them but I get a lot of people asking what they are.

Gdub2
Explorer
Explorer
Bal X-Chocks install between the tires
tighten them down rock solid

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
think of the stabilizing jacks as four legs of a wobbly chair where the legs are not tied together.

In order to add more stability you will need to form a triangle support system to keep the legs (stabilizer) from wobbling. JT strong arms, steadyfast system or similar is needed. I use the steadyfast, adds a great deal of stability. It does NOT eliminate any movement, just reduces the racking movement. JT strong arm acts in a similar fashion.

Next remember the trailer is supported in the middle by air shocks, your tires. they are going to act as a spring. you can eliminate some of the rocking with a chock between the tires, but you still have some up and down compression you can't get rid of.

now , the longer the trailer, the harder it is to minimize motion.

yup, our trailer still has some movement, but over time you learn to live with it and not let it bother you.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use homemade wheel chocks, block the tires well, snug the stabilizers and call it good. We replaced the homemade wooden chocks with the fancy xchocks because they are easier for my wife to remove when we are ready to go home.

I carry the jackstands and use as needed, generally in front of axle or under steps to better support.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
jmign wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
DE88ROX wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
DE88ROX wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
DE88ROX wrote:
As long as the tires are touching the ground, youll have varying degrees of wiggle. I made a set of chocks that mimic the X-Chocks,. out of some 4x4's and some threaded rod. Ive notice it does help with the wiggle to a degree and the trailer has less back and forth roll. Im sure some do, but most don't set the wheel chocks up tight, so there is some play. Also, get yourself one of these It really helps with the motion that's created going in and out of the trailer. Plus if helps with the steps getting flexed. I noticed mine looked like they were getting flexed on the left side, because thats where most people step to get into the trailer because thats the side the door handle is on and the door swings to the right.

I attached a small block of wood to my save-a-step and lightly rounded the corners to protect my awning mat from getting holes in it from the sharp corners.
That is a pretty neat gizmo. It will only work on single step TTs though. Not too many TTs anymore that don't have 2-3 steps.

No, it will work on those 2-3 steppers as well. Place it under the bottom step and it supports ALL of them. Most steps are just bolted to the frame and basically hang in mid air with no bottom support. This keeps the entire step assembly from flexing.

I have 2 steps on my 2012 trailer and they are rock solid when I slide this under the steps and adjust it.
That is impossible with my steps. They fold up. I would need 2 of them much longer than that one.

My steps fold up as well and it comes in 2 lengths. Watch this it explains how it works.
I know how it works. I have three steps, and the two lower ones BOTH fold up.
Putting it under the lower step like he does in the video will do NOTHING to support the second step. When you step on that one, it will want to go down, and the lowest supported step will simply fold up a little.

Not true. You would think that but it helps significantly. Must of your drag is on that last step the closer you are to the bracing the less pull you're getting. I use it on a trailer with 3 steps and helps significantly.
I have three steps. The lower two both fold up. This gizmo only supports the lowest step. It is impossible for it to help with the two higher steps.. It will help with the step it is under, but that is all it can do. Heck some THs now have four steps!
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

jmign
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
DE88ROX wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
DE88ROX wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
DE88ROX wrote:
As long as the tires are touching the ground, youll have varying degrees of wiggle. I made a set of chocks that mimic the X-Chocks,. out of some 4x4's and some threaded rod. Ive notice it does help with the wiggle to a degree and the trailer has less back and forth roll. Im sure some do, but most don't set the wheel chocks up tight, so there is some play. Also, get yourself one of these It really helps with the motion that's created going in and out of the trailer. Plus if helps with the steps getting flexed. I noticed mine looked like they were getting flexed on the left side, because thats where most people step to get into the trailer because thats the side the door handle is on and the door swings to the right.

I attached a small block of wood to my save-a-step and lightly rounded the corners to protect my awning mat from getting holes in it from the sharp corners.
That is a pretty neat gizmo. It will only work on single step TTs though. Not too many TTs anymore that don't have 2-3 steps.

No, it will work on those 2-3 steppers as well. Place it under the bottom step and it supports ALL of them. Most steps are just bolted to the frame and basically hang in mid air with no bottom support. This keeps the entire step assembly from flexing.

I have 2 steps on my 2012 trailer and they are rock solid when I slide this under the steps and adjust it.
That is impossible with my steps. They fold up. I would need 2 of them much longer than that one.

My steps fold up as well and it comes in 2 lengths. Watch this it explains how it works.
Putting it under the lower step like he does in the video will do NOTHING to support the second step. When you step on that one, it will want to go down, and the lowest supported step will simply fold up a little.

Not true. You would think that but it helps significantly. Must of your drag is on that last step the closer you are to the bracing the less pull you're getting. I use it on a trailer with 3 steps and helps significantly.

Wolf222
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a scissor jack and I place a 2X6 under the 2nd step and jack it up till stiff it makes a big deference

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
DE88ROX wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
DE88ROX wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
DE88ROX wrote:

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
DE88ROX wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
DE88ROX wrote:

[COLOR=]TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
DE88ROX wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
DE88ROX wrote:

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
DE88ROX wrote:

[COLOR=]TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

plasticmaster
Explorer
Explorer
NickG, I understand exactly what you're saying. My previous trailer was a Jayco 28bhs with manual scissor jacks at each corner. My current trailer is a Vibe 308bhs with electric jacks just like yours. I've done all of the suggestions posted here to both campers except I've never tried the JT Strongarms. The old camper was almost completely stable. The new camper shakes so much that a kid rolling over in bed wakes me up just like you describe. I'm ready to ditch these sorry electric jacks and add manual scissor jacks to the corners like my old camper. Hand cranking those manual jacks never bothered me.

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of suggestions to look at, stabilizing the steps is fairly easy, put some blocking under or upgrade steps to ones that include ground support (Torklift makes a set for example).