cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best cell company for internet useage(mostly)

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have a cable internet at MH from spectrem but read so much about how people have a couple cell phones and wifi hot spot type device for the internet and all unlimited for like 50-60$ per month
and was thinking might be nice to have a mobile device when on the road
1) whos the best to deal with
2) are the speeds of download comparable to cable theses days
3) I like to leave computer on and surf for a few hours at a time
4) will my Magic jack get a good enough signal to work via wifi verses hard wired
12 REPLIES 12

T18skyguy wrote:
I been Verizon my whole life and just did the T Mobile 2 smartphones unlimited everything for flat 60 bucks no fees.

Also, chose T-Mobile 4G LTE over cable - no more Comcast for a decade.

Mine is actually a biz account, using a T-Mobile SIM card in a 4-antenna WiFi router. Connect my desktop and smart tv via Ethernet. Laptop, tablets, printers and smartphones via WiFi. Though could always add switches for more wired ports.

It's considered an un-metered account, so no data slowdowns based on some monthly 4G cap as many unlimited accounts seem to have? Download speeds can be as high as 40Mbps, though drops down to ~12Mbps during congested times. Notwithstanding, T-mobile's coverage tends to be more limited than Verizon and AT&T.

Also, still have my $5. Verizon 3G unlimited hotspot as a backup, which is chugging along flawlessly. Though have to refill every month. Actually, streams YouTube SD type content with rarely any buffering issues. And getting around 2-2.2Mbps downloads. Great for surfing the Net and email.

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
T18skyguy wrote:
I been Verizon my whole life and just did the T Mobile 2 smartphones unlimited everything for flat 60 bucks no fees. I've had it 2 months now and no service or speed issues. Cut my bill in half.

curious how the speed on your laptop is when checking stocks, news, banking details , paying CC bills etc etc
Many thanks

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I been Verizon my whole life and just did the T Mobile 2 smartphones unlimited everything for flat 60 bucks no fees. I've had it 2 months now and no service or speed issues. Cut my bill in half.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Not a lot to recommend one over another if you eat a lot of data but I will make some observations.

1: SPRINT advertises "in network reliability within 1% of Verizon"
They forget to tell you that their network is not much more than 1% of verizon, Many areas you won't be IN Network, you will be roaming.

2: T-Mobile has a new 55+ plan,, I just switched to it.. Saved me money.

Data delivered to the phone: UNLIMITED High Speed, NO THROTTLE wide open no limits

Data used for Hot Spotting 10 Get HIGH speed then they throttle.. Well I use mostly park wi-fi so last month I only used about 5 Gig of hot spot. Over 20 Gig total however (THe phone does a lot of video stuff).

many thanks iam old school and need at least a 15 inch screen for internet stuff I hate the IPhone small screens
I did see the freedom 55 from t-mobile for a good deal just was not sure how good the speeds were for surfing
I use about 40Gb a month

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not a lot to recommend one over another if you eat a lot of data but I will make some observations.

1: SPRINT advertises "in network reliability within 1% of Verizon"
They forget to tell you that their network is not much more than 1% of verizon, Many areas you won't be IN Network, you will be roaming.

2: T-Mobile has a new 55+ plan,, I just switched to it.. Saved me money.

Data delivered to the phone: UNLIMITED High Speed, NO THROTTLE wide open no limits

Data used for Hot Spotting 10 Get HIGH speed then they throttle.. Well I use mostly park wi-fi so last month I only used about 5 Gig of hot spot. Over 20 Gig total however (THe phone does a lot of video stuff).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
delwhjr wrote:
The connected car plan is for the mobley or select cars with a connected device(think on-star). You have to buy the mobley($99) then call to activate a connected plan. They are still $20/mo. unlimited. You do not have to be an ATT customer otherwise. It is a stand alone plan.
Also, as I post this the mobley is back in stock on-line at att.com

Its through the OBD2 connection;; Correct you purchase the device for $108 with tax BUT you have to Be a AT+T customer and have a cellular plan or become a customer and buy a $60 plan then you can activate to car connect for $20 a month I just talked to them today a few hours ago see my last post :: that's what they told me ;; guy named steve
Steve : The most accurate information that I can see here is that you do need a wireless cell phone plan in order to use the device on our network. I hope that helps with your questions and I do apologize again for any misinformation.

I was super disappointed because a unlimited wireless connection in my toad for $20 a month would be the best deal out there

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
The connected car plan is for the mobley or select cars with a connected device(think on-star). You have to buy the mobley($99) then call to activate a connected plan. They are still $20/mo. unlimited. You do not have to be an ATT customer otherwise. It is a stand alone plan.
Also, as I post this the mobley is back in stock on-line at att.com
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
well after a 45 minutes on the chat line I found out it was $20 ADD on but you have to have active $60 at+t cell plan also
sounds like a neat deal but really don't need a ^60 AT+T cell plan right now
currently the device is not available and they don't know when it will be back instock
thanks for the help/suggestions

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
We have an unlimited 4G/LTE "Connected Car" plan from AT&T that costs $20/month. We're currently in rural VT enjoying the changing color of the foliage, and I just ran a speed test.

thanks is that a stand alone account or in addition to a cell plan

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
You can take an old phone and add it as a data-only device, and use the mobile hotspot app. At least you can on Verizon. No need to buy anything new.

What you can do is watch your usage, and if you are getting close to the plan limit, you can go into the website,and increase the plan limit at any time during the month. If that is unusual usage for you, then you can drop it back down at any time. You are never locked into a plan.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We have an unlimited 4G/LTE "Connected Car" plan from AT&T that costs $20/month. We're currently in rural VT enjoying the changing color of the foliage, and I just ran a speed test.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
gutfelt wrote:
I currently have a cable internet at MH from spectrem but read so much about how people have a couple cell phones and wifi hot spot type device for the internet and all unlimited for like 50-60$ per month
and was thinking might be nice to have a mobile device when on the road
1) whos the best to deal with
2) are the speeds of download comparable to cable theses days
3) I like to leave computer on and surf for a few hours at a time
4) will my Magic jack get a good enough signal to work via wifi verses hard wired

Ok, on the qx at least from my experience

1. They are all cellphone companies, one step removed from a cable tv service. Customer service and response is therefore questionable. Most will make some attempt to respond to issues and questions but their industry has been forced to the service table, and they dont seem rel happy about it.
2. 4G download in rural areas for me (currently verizon towers) 1.3 to 2.0 meg speed, far from wired speeds, but fast enough to surf and stream at standard definition.
3. answered above.
4. It likely will, but if you are running it through the cellphone connection, your call will be changed from unlimited talk mode to a converted data usage.

Most unlimited data programs from big companies throttle you down to something much slower than 4g speed after 22-25 gigs of usage. Some companies claim you can stream movies and music (at wireless optimized definition) without it counting against your data.

My best suggestion is to consider all the things you are paying for now.
Cost of home phone line, is it needed if you have a cell?
Cost of DSL or cable internet,
Cell that you are already paying for.
For us we ditched the house phone, no cable or satellite for tv, Satellite internet which is being turned off next month when contract expires.
My 2 cells are with total wireless, unlimited talk and text, with 15 gigs of data for $57 a month on auto refill, and additional data is 5 gigs for $10, We use about 30 gigs a month so the two cells and 30 total gigs runs us $87 a month.
Our motorola phones work as a wifi hotspot eliminating the need for another device.
Happy motorin