cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best valve stems for TPMS

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
I just ordered 4 Goodyear Endurance tires for my TT. I would like to try a TPMS that uses the senders that screw on the outer end of the valve stem and would like to install the best stems when the new tires go on day after tomorrow. I would appreciate any advice from folks that have experience in using these. I fear that the standard issue rubber valve stems will be "Made in China" and the constant centrifugal force would make short work of destroying them. If there is a particular type that works well I will purchase separately and take them to the tire shop and insist on them being installed. Thanks for any advice.
John & Gloria
South West, Florida
2009 Leisure Travel Serenity
16 REPLIES 16

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
bailer6334 wrote:
If you buy the TST TPMS 510 system the rubber or steel stems will work.

They will work on rubber stems but not forever. I know this from experience. Had a flat due to a leaking stem on I40 and I had the high pressure stems on.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
They come in various lengths too. I used the shorter ones but you can buy them longer if necessary.

That's one thing that bothers me. I ordered the stainless steel ones and it says they are 1 1/2 inches long. I hope that is total length and not the amount of protrusion. They arrive tomorrow so time will tell.
John & Gloria
South West, Florida

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
They come in various lengths too. I used the shorter ones but you can buy them longer if necessary.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
They all can unless they have factory TPMS, then they cannot because the OEM style TPMS sensors are integral with the stem itself. With a forged aluminum wheel like an Alcoa or Accuride, you may have to add a spacer between the inner surface of the mounting hole boss (like I did with the Alcoa's) to get the securing nut and washer to bear against the sealing gasket that fits through the hole in the rim.

All bolt down stems come with both sizes of hole gaskets. Some rims take the large and some take the small. My Alcoa's took the smaller one.

I turned my on a lathe (because I own a machine shop) but you can buy hard nylon spacers in various heights at any hardware store or Lowes.

You don't even have to remove the tire from the rim to do a stem. You break the bead on one side and reach in with a pair of pliers and yank the old one out and put in the new one. Typical securing torque is 15 inch pounds so tightening one is a simple matter of using a deep well socket and your hand and hand tighten it.
2015 Backpack SS1500

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Aside from removing tire from rim, how can OP determine if rubber stems can be replaced with metal/stainless ones?
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K

mikefos
Explorer
Explorer
Napa auto parts.
Mike and Kim
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 308RETS, TST 507 TPMS
2010 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax/Allison, 2WD, Long Bed, Crew Cab, Duraflaps, AMP Bedstep
Equal-i-zer 1400/14K Hitch

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
On my forged Alcoa's I had to machine a set of nylon spacer washers to 'lift' the securing flange and hex nut up 1/8" so it would not contact the lip of the hole where the valve stem inserted. No biggie, 5 minutes with a lathe and a piece of nylon bar stock.
2015 Backpack SS1500

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Stainless stems along with stainless nuts and washers. My TST 507 flow throughs would not fit on the stock fancy 5 spoke aluminum wheels that came on my camper. I switched them out for plain white Dexstars.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Considering that you really have no idea where the rubber ones are made at and Chinese rubber has a bad habit of decomposing, it's just prudent to use metal valve stems.

Problem is, metal stems won't work (far as I know that is) with factory TPMS (internal sensors). So, for oem TP monitors you are screwed, pun intended.

You will never find a rubber stem on a commercial truck, that should tell you something right there.
2015 Backpack SS1500

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. Looks like everyone believes in the all metal stems. I'll be getting some today.
John & Gloria
South West, Florida

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Autozone, O'Riely's, Pep Boys, NAPA all have bolt on stems. All I use now (after having a Chinese made rubber stem fail on a steer tire at speed.

I prefer Milton myself. A bit more expensive but will last the life of the rim. If I'm not mistaken the 416's are good for 105 psi.

Last set I had mounted, I pre bought the stems and handed them to the tire jockey and said..."Install these'.

No clamp on weights for me either. Stick on only.
2015 Backpack SS1500

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
TR-416 valves. That's an industry spec for metal stems, good for over 65 psi, and they won't be bothered by the weight of the sensors. The tire dealer should have them, as will any autoparts store.

bailer6334
Explorer
Explorer
If you buy the TST TPMS 510 system the rubber or steel stems will work.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
2016 Chevy 2500HD LT 6.6L DMAX 4WD
Equalizer 4 Point WDH

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
My Sendel brand rims required these:
valve stems
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand