cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to buy wood

HappyCanadianCa
Explorer
Explorer
Hi fellow campers. I’m relatively new to the RV world and am taking my first trip down the Oregon Coast from Canada. As our wood is not allowed to mix with American wood, where is the best places in the US, more specifically the Washington and Oregon Coast, to buy firewood at a reasonable price?
48 REPLIES 48

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on where you live. In MI bringing wood from home is strongly discouraged due to the ongoing effort to stem the spread of invasive insects. As a result of this, decent quality, reasonably priced firewood is widely available from many private sellers around state parks and other camping areas. Once you get into the northern areas of the state, you can just stop at a sawmill and get all the cheap, nicely dried firewood you could ever want.

So check your local regulations before you load a half cord into the truck and head out.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
You are legally allowed to take firewood back and forth across the Canada/US border and have been doing it for years. The stipulation is that it must be dimensional sawn lumber without any bark whatsoever on it. Split rounds of firewood is absolutely not permissable. We keep a small amount in our truck for the many camping trips we do in the US each year. We get pulled over at the border by the US border folks at least once a year for a "routine computer-generated" inspection. Once, they went through every stick of firewood and found one piece of 2x4 with a small amount of bark on it and they confiscated it. Pieces of cedar for kindling are also okay as long as it is clearly sawn wood that has been processed in a mill. If in doubt, check on CBSA or CBP websites.

The Canada and US border agencies don't care if Canadian and American wood is mixed together, at least from BC to WA. Other parts of the US and Canada have different species of wood and their can be restrictions on it's transport.

We bought a large truck load of seasoned firewood at Perry Pallet co., east of Birch Bay. They have a mountain of pallets they saw up into firewood sized pieces about 16" long. We sorted through it and were able to get consistent similar lengths that allowed us to pack the wood in tightly. It was mostly 2x4 & 2x6 while some was 4x4. It cost us $50 for about 3/4 of a cord. Wow that was a heavy load!

The thing about firewood is that unless you are a hardy outdoors type, it can be too cold & wet for a fire and over the summer period there's often a total fire ban, so a large load of wood can last a long time. Some locations don't allow open fires but the portable firepits with a screen cover are okay. We've noticed in recent years that some CGs have removed their firepits altogether, which in some cases could just be to reduce maintenance. We also have a propane campfire in a can that we occasionally use.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I have a feeling a lot of the discontent with buying firewood is from people who remember being able to walk into the woods, grab a downed branch and cutting it up for firewood. Rules that force campers to buy firewood is a bit too much like a tax on your fire. It's easy to believe that these rules were created just so the powers-that-be can profit from your enjoyment.

time2roll wrote:
Many State and National parks want the natural wood to remain and decay to feed the next generation of trees.

or to feed this years wildfires. Mismanagement of the underbrush is a big problem.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the PNW, stop at a saw mill.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
for a portable fire ring I just carry a top load washing machine tub. Stainless steel are the best and lightest, filled with wood, welded some nuts on the bottom I can screw long bolt into for a stand if needed, weber grill on the top. We use it for a virtually smoke free fire pit, give lots of heat, lower wood useage, and for cooking almost all our meals

When they have a firepit I usually sit in or on the existing firepit if it's convienient.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

MarkelMack109
Explorer
Explorer
Striumph84 wrote:
MarkelMack109 wrote:
I tried using the Duraflame logs a few times at different parks, my only complaint is I don't think that they give off enough heat. But in a pinch they are better than a mag-light and orange tissue paper.

I love sitting around our fire ring that we normally have stashed in the back of the truck.

We always pack a saw and an axe. you can always find dead fall or some one at the side of the road who has logs/branches they want off their property.

how big is this ring you are packing with you?

it is a 30" in diameter ring but it splits apart and bolts together. i got it from a craft show up in New York, here is their web site if you want to take a look at them. bruning-concepts.com they said that they would ship me a custom one if i wanted but i went with one they had on hand.

MarkelMack109
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
tomman58 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Does anyone pack a saw and hatchet anymore when they go camping?
I understand not much wood to be had at an RV Park, but most anywhere else I’ve camped in the forest firewoood is anything but scarce. Go for a walk, drag back a few limbs, make some campfire wood.
I was blown away in Yellowstone. Everyone burning the $10 a box firewood. Someone left a box at our site. It was like 5 pieces of wood and a bunch of chips and chunks.
People asked where we “found” all the firewood we had. We’d just stop on the side of the road, throw a bunch of dead n down wood in the truck. Did it twice and had raging campfires the whole time.....and gave some away too.
The whole “firewood and hamburger are made at the grocery store” mentality is sad. Especially from folks that should be wiser and more resourceful than that.

x2 then some. Seems like if you don't use a firering or buy firewood you aren't "camping" anymore. So sad

I don't get it, clue me in. What is so sad about people wanting to have a campfire or use a fire ring while camping? I would not go to a campground if I could not have a morning and nightly fire, and those fire rings are there for a reason.

A Nightly fire as long as the weather is half way decent is most of the reason I go camping. gives me time to relax with my wife after the kids go to sleep. we bring a ring with us so we can set up the fire in a different place if the one on the site is in a bad spot.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
In MI at least, there is good quality firewood for sale in and around every state park at reasonable prices, due in large part to the restrictions on moving firewood. Someone who lives right on the road to the park can buy a full cord of wood and easily triple their money selling $10 bundles. I've seen people on extended stays or in large groups who have firewood delivered by the face cord right to their campsite.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
tomman58 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
I understand not much wood to be had at an RV Park, but most anywhere else I’ve camped in the forest firewoood is anything but scarce. Go for a walk, drag back a few limbs, make some campfire wood.
I was blown away in Yellowstone. Everyone burning the $10 a box firewood. Someone left a box at our site. It was like 5 pieces of wood and a bunch of chips and chunks.
People asked where we “found” all the firewood we had. We’d just stop on the side of the road, throw a bunch of dead n down wood in the truck. Did it twice and had raging campfires the whole time.....and gave some away too.
The whole “firewood and hamburger are made at the grocery store” mentality is sad. Especially from folks that should be wiser and more resourceful than that.

x2 then some. Seems like if you don't use a firering or buy firewood you aren't "camping" anymore. So sad

I don't get it, clue me in. What is so sad about people wanting to have a campfire or use a fire ring while camping? I would not go to a campground if I could not have a morning and nightly fire, and those fire rings are there for a reason.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
tomman58 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

Right?
I got called a city slicker when I bought firewood.......once. And it was a 10 cord load of pulp wood for $200......and I was a pansy for not going and cutting my own wood.
I'd get my @ss kicked by those guys if I paid $1 a log for a campfire, lol!
And wood is plentiful where I camp or I can bring some.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Profits from firewood bought at the campgrounds, esp if a state park, usually go to help the park, sometimes there are even signs to that effect. So it may be a little pricey, but it helps the park out, and campers benefit from it in the long run.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Striumph84
Explorer
Explorer
MarkelMack109 wrote:
I tried using the Duraflame logs a few times at different parks, my only complaint is I don't think that they give off enough heat. But in a pinch they are better than a mag-light and orange tissue paper.

I love sitting around our fire ring that we normally have stashed in the back of the truck.

We always pack a saw and an axe. you can always find dead fall or some one at the side of the road who has logs/branches they want off their property.

how big is this ring you are packing with you?

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
bring a saw and get your own there are plenty in the states forests that is dead and waiting for you. Heck I used to bring a chain saw and would load the trunk of my Chevy with wood for everyone near me.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.