Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Where to buy wood
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Where to buy wood

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/17 01:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

naturist wrote:

My experience has been that campground hosts, rangers, and the folks in the office can all tell you where to buy wood nearby. Moving wood from one campground to another is highly discouraged if not outright illegal due to various non-native insect species such as emerald ash borers, woliaed aphids, gypsy moths, etc. Wherever you go, do NOT stock up. Buy only what you plan to burn where you are, and leave any leftovers for the next camper. Yes, it’s more expensive, but the locals appreciate your not infecting their woods with new pests.
X-2, at least around here, you can buy firewood usually within 5 mi of a campground, which is good as they don't want you to move it more than 30 mi., and cheaper than that garbage being sold IN the NP or NF, bought a cute orange bag of 6 sticks of wood in Shenandoah NP,enough for 1 fire, $6 and it refused to burn, looking at the bag, notice a small tag that said the wood came from Wisconsin, kinda shot the 30 mi deal right in the butt. [emoticon]

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/17 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bukhrn wrote:

bought a cute orange bag of 6 sticks of wood in Shenandoah NP,enough for 1 fire, $6 and it refused to burn, looking at the bag, notice a small tag that said the wood came from Wisconsin, kinda shot the 30 mi deal right in the butt. [emoticon]

Most likely, it also said it was certified as being heat treated to USDA standards. For the most part, heat treated firewood may be moved around (at least in its original packaging) legally, but a few states do have more stringent requirements than the USDA ones.

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/17 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

bukhrn wrote:

bought a cute orange bag of 6 sticks of wood in Shenandoah NP,enough for 1 fire, $6 and it refused to burn, looking at the bag, notice a small tag that said the wood came from Wisconsin, kinda shot the 30 mi deal right in the butt. [emoticon]

Most likely, it also said it was certified as being heat treated to USDA standards. For the most part, heat treated firewood may be moved around (at least in its original packaging) legally, but a few states do have more stringent requirements than the USDA ones.

That's possible, I don't recall seeing that statement, but I'm having a hard time figuring, Who heat treats fire wood, never heard of it, Lumber certainly. [emoticon]

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/17 07:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bukhrn wrote:

That's possible, I don't recall seeing that statement, but I'm having a hard time figuring, Who heat treats fire wood, never heard of it, Lumber certainly. [emoticon]

Lumber is often kiln-dried, which is not quite the same thing—it's not a standardized process, for one. Heat treated firewood is what is usually sold in the little shrink-wrapped bundles you see at gas stations and such, at least around these parts. The people who bundle up the wood are, I assume, the ones who heat treat it.

The goal, of course, is to kill any nasty insects that may be in the wood so it won't spread them around. I think the USDA standards are something like at least 60 minutes at at least 60 degrees Celsius.

Of course, most anyone who heats with wood (rather than buying a bit for a campfire or similar) likely just sources it locally by the cord and doesn't bother heat treating, which would be less economical.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/17 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

bukhrn wrote:

Lumber is often kiln-dried, which is not quite the same thing—it's not a standardized process, for one. Heat treated firewood is what is usually sold in the little shrink-wrapped bundles you see at gas stations and such, at least around these parts. The people who bundle up the wood are, I assume, the ones who heat treat it.

The goal, of course, is to kill any nasty insects that may be in the wood so it won't spread them around. I think the USDA standards are something like at least 60 minutes at at least 60 degrees Celsius.

Of course, most anyone who heats with wood (rather than buying a bit for a campfire or similar) likely just sources it locally by the cord and doesn't bother heat treating, which would be less economical.

Well here at South Beach SP we are currently selling KD and Heat Treated firewood. Other SP may or may not have the same.

Russ & Paula
The Beagles Hedwig (Passed), Precious, and Belle.
2001 Dodge 2500 4X4, 5.9 Cummins, NV4500, 3.55's, Pacbrake PRXB, DS Power Puck,Bilstein 5100's, 303,000 miles.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GCVW 19,500#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/17 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bring a saw and get your own there are plenty in the states forests that is dead and waiting for you. Heck I used to bring a chain saw and would load the trunk of my Chevy with wood for everyone near me.

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2015 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
Lifes short enough without bitch'n about it!

Striumph84

Atlanta

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/17 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MarkelMack109 wrote:

I tried using the Duraflame logs a few times at different parks, my only complaint is I don't think that they give off enough heat. But in a pinch they are better than a mag-light and orange tissue paper.

I love sitting around our fire ring that we normally have stashed in the back of the truck.

We always pack a saw and an axe. you can always find dead fall or some one at the side of the road who has logs/branches they want off their property.

how big is this ring you are packing with you?

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/17 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Does anyone pack a saw and hatchet anymore when they go camping?
I understand not much wood to be had at an RV Park, but most anywhere else I’ve camped in the forest firewoood is anything but scarce. Go for a walk, drag back a few limbs, make some campfire wood.
I was blown away in Yellowstone. Everyone burning the $10 a box firewood. Someone left a box at our site. It was like 5 pieces of wood and a bunch of chips and chunks.
People asked where we “found” all the firewood we had. We’d just stop on the side of the road, throw a bunch of dead n down wood in the truck. Did it twice and had raging campfires the whole time.....and gave some away too.
The whole “firewood and hamburger are made at the grocery store” mentality is sad. Especially from folks that should be wiser and more resourceful than that.

x2 then some. Seems like if you don't use a firering or buy firewood you aren't "camping" anymore. So sad

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/17 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Profits from firewood bought at the campgrounds, esp if a state park, usually go to help the park, sometimes there are even signs to that effect. So it may be a little pricey, but it helps the park out, and campers benefit from it in the long run.

Charles

2007 Winnebago View 523H on a 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis. Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles on it, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dymanics PD4645, Chill Grille, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, Roadmaster sway bar.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/17 11:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tomman58 wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Does anyone pack a saw and hatchet anymore when they go camping?
I understand not much wood to be had at an RV Park, but most anywhere else I’ve camped in the forest firewoood is anything but scarce. Go for a walk, drag back a few limbs, make some campfire wood.
I was blown away in Yellowstone. Everyone burning the $10 a box firewood. Someone left a box at our site. It was like 5 pieces of wood and a bunch of chips and chunks.
People asked where we “found” all the firewood we had. We’d just stop on the side of the road, throw a bunch of dead n down wood in the truck. Did it twice and had raging campfires the whole time.....and gave some away too.
The whole “firewood and hamburger are made at the grocery store” mentality is sad. Especially from folks that should be wiser and more resourceful than that.

x2 then some. Seems like if you don't use a firering or buy firewood you aren't "camping" anymore. So sad

Right?
I got called a city slicker when I bought firewood.......once. And it was a 10 cord load of pulp wood for $200......and I was a pansy for not going and cutting my own wood.
I'd get my @ss kicked by those guys if I paid $1 a log for a campfire, lol!
And wood is plentiful where I camp or I can bring some.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500, Mega, 4wd, 5.9 G56, BD Triple Dog, SB ceramic clutch, Industrial Injection Dragonfly Injectors, GDP 2 micron filter, Firestone Bags, Big Wig swaybar, homemade stable loads, ATI viib damper and a BD Brake

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Where to buy wood
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS