cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator

Chappy_58
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I like to dry camp while attending NASCAR at Talladega and Texas. We have a a 35' 50 amp Outback T.T. my question which portable generator do you recommend? Thank you for your replies.
31 REPLIES 31

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Yes you're not getting my point. I'm not saying that people specifically purchase a 50 amp trailer to only run one AC. Although it does happen, but that's not my point. Clearly purchasing a 50 amp trailer when you know for sure you aren't going to use the extra capacity is not worth the hassle unless you have to take it and you're getting a deal. I'm saying that when trailers get ordered from the factory and arrive on the dealer's lot they're only equipped with one AC and prepped for a second AC. Dealers order them this way because it's easier than upgrading the wiring, panel, and framing on a 30 amp trailer to drop in a second AC if someone wants it. The dealer either drops in the AC at the time of sale or the customer has an option to drop in the AC at a later date. Quite a few elect not the have the AC installed at the point of sale and left with the option to install it in the future for various reasons according to my dealer. Every spring and summer there's questions that's posted on here from people who are asking how to add a second AC to a trailer that's be prepped for one. I remember post from a while back where the person went a few years before finally deciding to drop in a second AC.

You said that 50 amp almost always means there's a 2nd AC installed. We didn't have a second AC for almost a year and a half. We started doing more camping in hot areas with no shade more frequently and decided to finally drop one in. Several of our friends still haven't installed a second AC in their trailers after owning them for years. One took the option because that's just how the trailer came and he got a good deal on it. He'll probably never put in a second AC. Another purchased so that they could easily upgrade if they move further 2 south. Not to mention the others that post on here and those who do not in similar situations. Is it big pain in the rear for them or myself, hardly. Roof and tank maintenance are far greater pains than electrical service that you're not taking full advantage of.

All of this is moot anyway. The OP never stated if they had a second AC installed or not. There was also no mention that the running of a second AC was required. People just assumed that since there's 50 amp service there must be a second AC installed and if there's a second AC then it must be ran. The OP was trying to find a generator for two specific events. What I said in my original post was that due to the time of the the year that OP was planning on using the generator, spring in Northern Alabama and late fall in North Texas, that their AC demands wouldn't be that great. The OP may not even run the AC at all with the temperatures that you typically experience in those locales for the time of year. This year's event here in Texas is supposed to have a high in the low 70's. From the initial post it didn't sound like he needed a generator for any other time of year except for these events.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
proxim2020 wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
Really? There is no reason to have 50 amp service unless you are wanting two ACs... In fact it really would be a disadvantage for using a portable generator.

I think it is a really safe bet, that MOST 50 amp rigs have two ACs.... I see from the responses that others are of the same opinion.

Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and everywhere in between, we saw 50 amp trailers sitting on dealer lots with only one AC installed. I think I'll trust my own eyes over a random internet stranger's assumption.

I don't get your point. I never said it was 100%..Just because you don't have 2 ACs with 50 amp, doesn't mean the majority do.

I have been in my trade for 37 years. One constant during that time has been customers incorrect assumptions about products that have been discontinued. Without fail there will be one customer that liked the item and thinks it is the most popular thing ever...... And cannot fathom why he cannot buy it anymore.... I guess that is why it was discontinued then.... The company did not want to make money selling it anymore.

More to the point. 50 amp service is a SERIOUS upgrade from 30 anp.
30 amp is approx 3300-3600 watts of 120 AC. 50 amp is 11000-12000 watts of 120 AC. That is serious overkill for only running one AC. With that you have to deal with a much thicker and harder to handle heavy shore power cord and in most cases special adaptors if you want to use a portable generator... In short, it's a big pain in the rear, with no benefit unless you need the power to run something like 2 or more ACs. For that reason, it is rare for trailers to have it. Usually it is a MH feature.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Passin Thru wrote:
Boy, ask a loaded question and get 3984 answers. I'd stick with Onan or Honda because they have been around, are best known and have a lot of places to buy parts.

You mean you need to buy parts to repair a Honda! I think I will stick with my Champion, have never had to buy parts for it. :B

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Boy, ask a loaded question and get 3984 answers. I'd stick with Onan or Honda because they have been around, are best known and have a lot of places to buy parts.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Huntindog wrote:
Really? There is no reason to have 50 amp service unless you are wanting two ACs... In fact it really would be a disadvantage for using a portable generator.

I think it is a really safe bet, that MOST 50 amp rigs have two ACs.... I see from the responses that others are of the same opinion.

Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and everywhere in between, we saw 50 amp trailers sitting on dealer lots with only one AC installed. I think I'll trust my own eyes over a random internet stranger's assumption.

Jframpey
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
proxim2020 wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
He has 50 amp service. hat almost always means 2 ACs

It certainly does not. 50 amp service means that the trailer came equipped with 50 amp service. It may be equipped with a second AC or just prepped. Our own factory ordered trailer came with 50 amp service and only one AC. A factory installed 2nd AC wasn't even an option, only the prep. From what we've seen in lots across Texas, more often than not 50 amp trailers are equipped with one AC unless the customer decides to have the second AC installed.

I have a 50amp service with only one A/C...

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
The OP might want to avoid red generators as some members feel that they are the only ones worth stealing.

arkie_guide
Explorer
Explorer
If your rig is 220 volt at 50 amps - 220 x 50 = 11,000 watts/ That is a big generator to haul around and costly. Probably to heavy to lift in and out of TV.Take a survey and decide just what you must have a generator for what unit's,AC 1 or 2, H.W.,lights, refrigerator, get a list together with their watt load show us that we can help.

jbeliera
Explorer
Explorer
This all started with the thread about NASCAR boon docking. So the way to solve the genny problem at a race would be to get high price spot and pay for the electrical hookup and then he won't need a genny there. Just enjoy the race
John and Judie Beliera
2008 Laredo 29RL, Fiver (Mustang Sally)
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
2015 GMC 2500 HD 6.0 liter

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
proxim2020 wrote:
Huntindog wrote:

It certainly does not. 50 amp service means that the trailer came equipped with 50 amp service. It may be equipped with a second AC or just prepped. Our own factory ordered trailer came with 50 amp service and only one AC. A factory installed 2nd AC wasn't even an option, only the prep. From what we've seen in lots across Texas, more often than not 50 amp trailers are equipped with one AC unless the customer decides to have the second AC installed.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

w8lpn
Explorer
Explorer
Also stay away from the really cheap chinese gennys. I bought one once at a great deal. ran about 4 hours then never ran again. I have a champion 2000 watt that does real good for what I need. Wont run the AC, but I really only run the genny for hunting season so no AC needed...usually.
2014 Ford F150 5.0
1985 citation 30 ft camper
Husky WDH with sway control

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Huntindog wrote:

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
proxim2020 wrote:
I have a 3650W / 4500w Champion that's served me well over the last couple of years. Normally they go for around $300. It's a little nosier than the quiet ones, but not nearly as load as a typical contractor style generator. For your planned purpose, it will work well sound and power wise. And no you don't need a 5500w generator to run a AC. My 3650w gen runs my 15k just fine. The time of year that NASCAR comes to Texas and Talladega, your AC demands probably won't be that great anyway.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

TooTall2
Explorer