cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cover for storage at home

TugCE
Explorer
Explorer
As we live in Central Florida, I would really like to setup some sort of covered parking at my home.

What I'm thinking about is something like you see for carports where you have legs with just a canvas cover on the top. I'm thinking about something like this so I could remove the canvas cover if a bad storm is coming our way. Plus it really would not be a "Permanent Structure" that might require pulling permits. I would be looking at something 13-14 feet high and 40 feet long.

I built a driveway, oops I meant I put down Landscaping (Millings) and just happen to park there. Anyway, I think my idea will work but I hoping at someone here has used something like this.

If I need to I can put in something with a metal top but I like the idea of being able to remove to covering in case of a storm.
I am a Retired U.S. Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
05 Chevy 2500 4x4 D/A with Helper Springs and Air Ride Air Bags
(06 R-Vision RW3360 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler) - Totaled by Irma 2017
97 FLTCI converted into a Roadsmith Trike by The Trike Shop of Daytona
14 REPLIES 14

cancrusher84
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have problems with there HOA ?

RayJayco
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the fittings from a tarp company and used black iron fire sprinkler pipe making a complete skeleton including connecting it to each side on the ground. I did put horizontal pipe midway on the sides as that is what I bungee the tarp to, giving me great coverage from the sun and elements. I put pipe gussets or angle braces in the corners.

I should say that I used top rail fence pipe for the ceiling/roof trusses as it is lighter in weight.
I used augers to secure it to the ground.

I haven't taken it down since I put it up in 2009. It has survived all types of weather, including hurricane Irma. Every few years I have to replace the tarp (and bungees) as this central FL sun will deteriorate it.

This is a cheap, yet secure canopy that will give a bit in the wind. (The secret to withstanding strong wind...)

Let me know if you don't follow my design as I can detail it more or take pictures. And I have sources for the parts if needed.

Good luck!
Inquiring minds want to know...

TugCE
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the replies. Trust me I do know that metal would be better but with the way that it will be placed, I would be concerned about any strong winds, living in Florida this is something to keep in mind ad Irma's eye passed right over my house.

As for the tarp wearing out, I do know this and understand that going in, also I would not be removing it unless we had a known storm coming our way, such as Irma.

My next door neighbor does a bunch of work for me as he's a Handyman and does a great job for a great price.
I am a Retired U.S. Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
05 Chevy 2500 4x4 D/A with Helper Springs and Air Ride Air Bags
(06 R-Vision RW3360 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler) - Totaled by Irma 2017
97 FLTCI converted into a Roadsmith Trike by The Trike Shop of Daytona

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
Believe me when I say they make them. Our MoHO is at least 12.5 ft tall and we have a metal building that the opening for the mo ho is well above that. Closed up on three sides Ours came from a company in Tennessee and was constructed by a company in North Carolina. We provided the level pad and drive way, they did the rest.
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

Speedy921
Explorer
Explorer
The tallest on that site is 12 ft. I need one no less than 14 ft.

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
Why put a cover up if you're just going to remove it in bad weather? I wanted my metal cover for bad weather.

Just don't make good sense to me,,,, BUT to each his own.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a very nice structure with a canvas top. After installing it, I am sure it lasts for many many years (I sold the property about 1 year after potting it up). BUT there is NO way I would take the cover on and off. It took 4 people to wrestle the cover on and attach it to the frame. This was a cover for the top and three sides. If at ALL possible, I would put up a metal structure with a roof and three side, with the open side facing north.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
They make RV garages like what you're talking about over in the deserts outside of LA. You could google search for fabric car ports focusing on California, line up a couple handymen where you are if you find anything and have it shipped to you.

The fabrics are UV stable, allow air to circulate, and I've seen them with pull ropes and pulley systems that roll up the sides. And yes, they can be supplied with fabric roofs.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
We put down a driveway that is about 6 inches thick and a pad that is about 10 inches thick. We added full hookups in the pad Then we had built one of those metal car port things, but we went heavy duty. put sides and a back on it. 15 ft wide and 55 feet long. Yes, it cost, but it is worth it when you stop to think that it is protecting our Moho from the weather. We had a Moho before this one that we just parked in our side yard and in about 18 months , the sun bleached it out and it looked horrible. This one, we decided to try to keep it looking good. It is a long time getting the parts to build one. We put down a deposit , enough to cover the componets and they told us up front it would take them close to 6 weeks for them to come in. They gave us a call, said they were in and they had a crew ready to come as soon as we wanted them. The crew arrived, 8 men and they were there just before 7am, worked all day, finished up after dark and we love the building. We have had it over year and so glad we did the build.
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I have been in contact with two of these companies for more a couple of months. I have to tell you it's a pain. They're all so busy that they just don't about your your business. They whine about conditions but wont even come out to check the site out in person before showing up. Then they have no need to work to your schudule.
I have not given them a deposit yet so if someone has a company they like, please share with us.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Canvass type wear out in about two years. Metal is much better and cheaper in the long run

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
They have both types. The canvas types are called canopies on their website.

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
This place has free shipping. Carports and more
Those are metal, he want a tarp type cover.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
This place has free shipping. Carports and more