cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Quality getting any better?

batavia02
Explorer
Explorer
Question all this is open question to 5 th wheel owners from what I have read it seems that 5 th wheel workmanship is getting worse not better .I do not mean poor work-workmanship at the dealer level or damage in transit or the well documented tire issues I mean factory floor workmanship that is bad welds, parts not being installed correctly or flat out wrong am curious to know what the opionins and is the workmanship on grand design as good as the customer service seems to be I read how good the customer care is the only make and model with any good workmanship is northwood and outdoor rv our in Oregon in that at least they make their own frames thanks all
29 REPLIES 29

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've owned 5 Citation 5th wheels that were manufactured from 1990 to 2008. I had a problem with the gel coat on one but the rest have all been trouble free. I kind of think the quality of the 2008 is a little better than the earlier models, yet Citation went broke. I guess their RVs were overpriced. People buy junk because junk is cheap. Its the same deal with new houses; the tradesman that do crappy work undercut those who take pride in their workmanship. We reward those with ***** workmanship by giving them the job. Most people would not be willing to pay an additional $70,000 for a house built by people who take pride in their work over a similar size house that was slapped together.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
austingta wrote:
I wonder why Airstream won't make a high-quality large RV? I guess because it would cost a million dollars.

Don't forget that about half of what you pay for an Airstream is for the name alone. $60k for a 30' TT with NO slide? What a joke, especially for something that's not much better than the next brand.

Lyle

Agree. Having been through quite a few Airstreams over the years and I believe they are well made, but WAYYYYY over priced for no more than they offer. Even if a little better quality, the pricing is ridiculous. I almost believe Airstream has hyped the brand SOO much, that some people figure the higher price means its worth every penny.. I personally think they are over priced for what they give you.

Jim.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
austingta wrote:
I wonder why Airstream won't make a high-quality large RV? I guess because it would cost a million dollars.

Don't forget that about half of what you pay for an Airstream is for the name alone. $60k for a 30' TT with NO slide? What a joke, especially for something that's not much better than the next brand.

Lyle

It seems to me the almost all aluminum Camp Lites are what Airstream would be if they weren't content to simply stand pat and sell on prestige and very cool styling.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
For the OP...

Overall quality is terrible.

Grand Design quality is no better. I was considering a GD purchase a while back and joined the Grand Design Owners FB group- they suffer the same issues as everyone else. They do seem a little more customer focused on getting it fixed, but these are often things that should have been right from the factory.

DutchmenSport wrote:
We did a LOT of traveling over this last camping season, from South Carolina to the Dakota's, and never saw a single 5er broke down anywhere.

You clearly didn't make it far enough west then. I was broken down twice in one day (really 1 event, but I'm stupid sometimes).
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
austingta wrote:

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

neal10a
Explorer
Explorer
jk6672 wrote:
who makes quality then, every one I talk to seems to not be happy with their purchase.

Few people will admit they made a mistake and others will not explain bad experiences because it will affect the resale value. One needs to understand that most RV mfg's build for "gliz and glamer" as well a light weight and lowest cost. That does not instill motivation for engineering to design a product for durability. Also the mfg's have become master of marketing jargon. The only realistic defense one has to get what they desire is to their home work and research. That in itself is not easy because the mfg's do not generally divulge the build details of their products. That requires close inspection, all lot of questions and knowledge of proper engineering. Then a factory tour would be helpful.....

So how many people can invest the time and effort to do what is required to get a durable and quality product? Or have the knowledge?

jk6672
Explorer
Explorer
who makes quality then, every one I talk to seems to not be happy with their purchase. I don't want to buy something that I find something wrong or have a problem develop every time I take it out.

I've heard for sure stay away from Forest River products. I liked an Eclipse Attitude, but then just talked to a guy the other day and he said to stay away from this one too. He's had it in dealer more times than he can count on his fingers for leaks. Said it leaked everywhere.

What about Highland ridge Open Range 3X RV's? I looked at a couple today. any happy campers out there?

austingta
Explorer
Explorer
Frank Brooks Austin TX
2018 F 150 King Ranch max tow package with 3.55 gears
Published towing weight limit 13200
Payload per sticker 1464

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Dan, youโ€™re right... Quality would improve with the right competition. .. or some of these businesses/ manufacturers would go out of business because they donโ€™t understand the meaning of incorporating quality processes and checks into the manufacturing process.

Jim
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with all of the above. What is even (to me) more mind boggling is the fact that we as consumers are buying these so-so built recreational vehicles at RECORD numbers!

It's too bad we as consumers don't have import options.

I read somewhere on these forums that maybe if off shore manufactures gave these AMERICAN RV manufactures a run for their money similar to what happened a number of years ago in the automotive industry QUALITY (eventually) would improve.

Just my two ยขs. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Dan

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
john&bet wrote:
I have a new 2018 GD and no, the quality is not getting better. Not in my book anyway.

You are correct, sad to say.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new 2018 GD and no, the quality is not getting better. Not in my book anyway.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

neal10a
Explorer
Explorer
batavia02 wrote:
Question all this is open question to 5 th wheel owners from what I have read it seems that 5 th wheel workmanship is getting worse not better .I do not mean poor work-workmanship at the dealer level or damage in transit or the well documented tire issues I mean factory floor workmanship that is bad welds, parts not being installed correctly or flat out wrong am curious to know what the opionins and is the workmanship on grand design as good as the customer service seems to be I read how good the customer care is the only make model with any good workmanship is northwood and outdoor rv our in Oregon in that at least they make their own frames thanks all

I take it that English grammar was not your strong suit.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
I think that every time anyone does their own repair during the warranty period, they should send the mfr a bill for their time, same as the dealer would do, then sue them if they don't pay up. Be a nice class-action...

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member