cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof re-caulking

Craig95005
Explorer
Explorer
My RV shop says my 2012 37 foot Thor Class A motorhome needs removal of the old caulking and re-caulking. It's about six years old and has not been garaged or covered. No leaks so far, but the caulking does show some defects and separation. They figure six hours or so and $1000 to do it. Is that in the (California) ball park? As an alternative, how well does adding to existing caulking work? Thanks.
Craig
15 REPLIES 15

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
I re-caulk my fiberglass roof every 2 years. Have never removed the old. Simply go over whatever is there.

No problems.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Check YouTube videos how to recaulk an RV roof. It's very easy to do. Unless the original caulking is crumbling, or lifting up, removing it could cause more damage. Not actually removing it, but the method of removing could damage the roof. If you see hair line cracks, just apply new caulking directly on top of those cracks. I fine bead will keep it sealed just fine. Chances are, those cracks are not all the way through. They are just surface cracks. Just applying on top of the cracks, following them with caulking gun, and you'll be good to go.

For $1000, you're paying for $20 worth of caulking and the rest in labor to remove something that doesn't need removed.

You can start here.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Also a fan of Eternabond.

Splitting after six years isn't all that unusual, especially if you have a certain travel route or favorite parking spot that racks your RV in such a way that the roof twists occasionally. That will open seams easily over time.

Agree that you should get a second opinion.

You could also consider going to Mexico. The RV park you stay at would know someone who could do the job and it would probably be under $100. I had the edges of my Winnie fiberglass roof done with EBond by 2 guys, cost was $30 labor and $120 total. Took them all of 45 minutes. I did the end caps myself which doesn't look as good as their work.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

stvdman
Explorer
Explorer
Dale.Traveling wrote:

I'm also a fan of Eternabond tape. The stuff is expensive at getting close to $1 a foot but once installed the tape will probably out last everything under it.

This is what I have done and will be doing even to my new 2017. Later this month I will inspect the current sealant/caulk..if its ok (it should be0 I will wait till spring, remove any excess caulking, then aplly ETERNABOND tape down the sides of the roof, on the front/reap caps-roof , and anywhere else I can.

Hondavalk
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
I have been just wiping clean with a damp rag and just going over the old caulk for 12 years now.

If existing is loose or pealing up then yes I would be removing at least the loose areas and caulk over.

X2

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been just wiping clean with a damp rag and just going over the old caulk for 12 years now.

If existing is loose or pealing up then yes I would be removing at least the loose areas and caulk over.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
I acquired my 2006 Hurricane (also a Thor product) used in 2011 and pretty much all the roof seals had degraded and needed attention. Six hours of labor is about right but the labor rate at potentially $150 an hours is a bit high even for CA. You could certainly add additional sealant if you don't mind the "bigger the glob the better the job" look.

Removing old and resealing isn't difficult and there are Youtube videos which will help show a few tricks to make the job a bit easier. Lot easier then sealing a bathroom shower considering it doesn't have to look perfect just has to be weather tight. If you plan to attempt two words of caution NO RTV. Don't ask why not since this post is already getting long just NO.

I'm also a fan of Eternabond tape. The stuff is expensive at getting close to $1 a foot but once installed the tape will probably out last everything under it.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
If you can't do it yourself, contact a mobile RV Tech and get another opinion.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it probley does need to be re done after six years. By the time you experience a leak the damage is on the way. It's not rocket science if you are able to do it yourself. Choose the correct caulking.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
Try here for photo posting.
rv.net photo posting
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
by separation, do you mean lifting off of the roof material. or splitting. unless original caulk is still sticking well, remove it.
bumpy

Craig95005
Explorer
Explorer
I'll try to send some pics. What's the best way to post images?
Craig

Hector_Bravo
Explorer
Explorer
If you can post some pictures we’d be able to give you a more accurate indication if you can apply Dicor right over the existing caulk or if you should remove. Either way, unless you are not physically able to do the job that is a lot of money to do the job.

I am a huge fan of eternabond
The Bravos
2013 Jay Flight 26 RLS
2014 Ford F 250 Super Duty 6.2