cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kwikee Series 32 step motor

dalefuji
Explorer
Explorer
My steps (2) stopped working in out position. When I turn control switch by door on I can hear a small noise, but steps do not move.
If switch is on and door is open the light is on under steps. I check
the three fuses for steps and they are ok. Motor seems stuck.
There is no part number on motor label, just series 32 and the serial
number. This is on 98 Holiday Rambler Endeavor.
Any suggestions???\
I tore gear box and motor apart and then put back together and it started working. I really can't say what was wrong, but it is fixed.
15 REPLIES 15

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
Rwake901 wrote:
This is where I bought my new Kwikee step motor. Cheapest place I could find it --> http://www.international-powerstroke-bus-parts.com/proddetail.php?prod=EA-KWIK-1101428

Good price, but again, if you go for a window lift motor ass'y, which is what they actually are, there's a savings....
SAVE

I looked at several of the window lift motors but couldnโ€™t be sure any of them would work because they are all a little different. Thatโ€™s why I ordered the same one that was on the steps.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
dalefuji wrote:
This is dalefuji, I appreciate all the responses. I had a friend
help and we disconnected the arm from steps and it would not work. We ended up taking gear mechanism and motor off and taking everything apart, including motor. We greased gears and check motor and put everything back together and hooked wires from motor up to 12 volt battery and it worked. We put everything back together and it worked.
When we went to hook arm up to steps, we had to adjust step adjustment on steps so pin would go in arm. The steps work fine now.
Something we did fixed problem, but I can't say what was really wrong.
I just know hat it works again.

That's many a case with repairs and my motto is to not ....look a gift horse in the mouth....
Good that you got it fixed and now have some practice as well...
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Rwake901 wrote:
This is where I bought my new Kwikee step motor. Cheapest place I could find it --> http://www.international-powerstroke-bus-parts.com/proddetail.php?prod=EA-KWIK-1101428

Good price, but again, if you go for a window lift motor ass'y, which is what they actually are, there's a savings....
SAVE
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

dalefuji
Explorer
Explorer
This is dalefuji, I appreciate all the responses. I had a friend
help and we disconnected the arm from steps and it would not work. We ended up taking gear mechanism and motor off and taking everything apart, including motor. We greased gears and check motor and put everything back together and hooked wires from motor up to 12 volt battery and it worked. We put everything back together and it worked.
When we went to hook arm up to steps, we had to adjust step adjustment on steps so pin would go in arm. The steps work fine now.
Something we did fixed problem, but I can't say what was really wrong.
I just know hat it works again.

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
My 02.

Tap the motor - cost nothing and might help.

Disconnect the swing arm from the motor to the step (remove cotter pin and punch out the bar holding the two together). Once you disconnect that swing arm you can determine three things 1) whether there is binding issue (steps should move freely by hand) 2) motor is working (it makes noise) and 3) swing arm and related gears are working (swing arm moves when motor is humming).

If the steps are binding - lube/align or whatever you need to do to fix that. If the motor makes noise but the swing arm moves you can either replace the motor or take it apart and replace the gears .... s/b plenty of post on both if you use the forum search feature.
Kevin

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
dalefuji wrote:
My steps (2) stopped working in out position. When I turn control switch by door on I can hear a small noise, but steps do not move.
If switch is on and door is open the light is on under steps. I check
the three fuses for steps and they are ok. Motor seems stuck.
There is no part number on motor label, just series 32 and the serial
number. This is on 98 Holiday Rambler Endeavor.
Any suggestions???

Cut or disconnect the two wires going directly to the motor. Get out of the way and apply 12vdc from and external source. Reverse the leads for reversing the direction.
No go, disconnect the pin from the step arm and check for jamming.
Remove and recheck it on the bench.
Need motor ass'y..??, lay it on the floor next to your computer and match it up on Amazon with a power window motor for some savings in price.

tommy_g
Explorer
Explorer
Before you start ordering or buying, try to make sure it is the motor. If the "noise" is a click, try to tap on the motor with the end of a screwdriver or something. It works for me when mine jams. I have a new motor(same as 1991 Ford Taurus driver window motor) but haven't got the "'round-to-it" yet.
1998 Bounder 36s F53 460 V8 Banks power & Honda Accord toad

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
You have the old series 32 steps, with wires attached to motor. If you purchase the motor linked above, you will need to find a plug for the motor and do some rewiring.
Link to old style motor on Amazon., with wires attached. $35.00

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Fixed mine in a '94 a couple times, and the fixes were fairly easy. Just contact cleaning twice and a rebuild once.

There was that time when the bolts holding the entire assembly rusted through and the steps detached from the RV frame and swung free. Bent some stuff and cracked open the gear case. Even then was able to straighten everything, lube the gears, brighten all the contacts, bolt the case back together, add new stainless bolts and nuts to hold the step assembly in place, and, ta da good as new.

Point is that they are pretty easy to work on, especially if you have a grandson to take it off the RV for you so you can take it into the shop.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Oday
Explorer
Explorer
Check all the ground connections. My unit has three ground wires. On each occasion when the steps did not work, it was because of a poor ground. Mine also made a clicking sound when they should have been working. Remove the ground wires, grind the connection locations to clean metal and reinstall. Be careful working under there.

Ken
'04 Mountain-Aire pusher with tag
'99 Jeep GC Ltd. Toad
One small wife
One small dog

MrWizard
over the years, i have replaced control module, gear box, and motors
on different RV's

the fact that makes a noise, almost eliminates the control module and points to something in te gear box or swing mechanism
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Before condemning the motor, make sure the gearbox and rest of the mechanism is turning freely. One way to do that would be to detach the motor from the rest of the step mechanism and see if it rotates on its own. On my step, I found that a ball joint was very nearly immobile and binding up the whole mechanism. Cleaning and relubricating everything made it work properly. (N.b. I have no idea offhand if mine is a model 32 or not.)

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a Link to a direct Kwikee replacement for the Model 32 step.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog