Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Most RELIABLE Diesel 1 Ton Truck???

bowler1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi
I am in the market for a used diesel 1 Ton single rear axle truck. I have no real preference among the big three. I like all of them. I just want something I can depend on...not just the engine but the whole truck. This is especially an issue when buying used. I am looking for a one or two year old truck with under 50k miles.

What's your recommendation?

Thanks
Matt
57 REPLIES 57

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
tomman58 wrote:
WTP-GC wrote:
Might be looking for a new truck toward end of this year, depending on how the tax projection goes. My 2014 RAM has been nearly flawless with about 78K miles. Yeah, I get the stupid "DEF service, 5 MPH max in xxx miles" message once in a while, but I just clear the code and keep on cruisin. For less than $45K, you can get a 3/4 ton RAM 4x4 with Cummins, 4 door brand new 2018 in the Tradesman trim. $400-$500 in leather seat covers, an upgraded radio head unit, and some other small mods and the truck is almost on par with the fancier trims.

For my money, this is the best value.

Just seems wrong to take a brand new work truck than go through all the nonsense to make it into a RV TV. It always cost but a few dollars more to go first cabin and in the lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng run it is worth it.

That's obviously one of those personal opinions that has no bearing on the "right choice". For me, I'd go small and upgrade. I don't need or want all the fancy features of the higher trims if the price difference is substantial. If the difference were only a few thousand, then I'd do it...but that's not the case. My TV gets about 95% of its use doing things other than towing the 5er, so luxury doesn't mean much to me.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
ksss wrote:
wnjj wrote:
transferred wrote:
ksss wrote:
I am trading in my 2015 Chevy 3500 SRW CC Long box, 4X4. My new one will be here any day. It is dark blue LTZ, 54K miles. Great truck, never missed a day of work. Trading it in at the Chevy dealer in Idaho Falls.

Congrats, but curious why you're trading in your 2015 for a used one?

Pretty sure he's trading it in for a new one but my question is "why trade a truck that's been so good to you?"

I like to keep the truck current, the resale is high, so I like to trade them, usually before 60K seems to be the sweet spot. It depends on a number of factors doesn't always work that way sometimes I keep them to 100K but this year it is easy to justify.

I keep mine a bit longer like 180,000 miles but agree if I am going to drive all over the USA and take many weeks doing it and often.... I'll take the best equipped truck out there. I like style, comfort and ride but that's me and I've got the time so happy trails.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
transferred wrote:
ksss wrote:
I am trading in my 2015 Chevy 3500 SRW CC Long box, 4X4. My new one will be here any day. It is dark blue LTZ, 54K miles. Great truck, never missed a day of work. Trading it in at the Chevy dealer in Idaho Falls.

Pretty sure he's trading it in for a new one but my question is "why trade a truck that's been so good to you?"

I like to keep the truck current, the resale is high, so I like to trade them, usually before 60K seems to be the sweet spot. It depends on a number of factors doesn't always work that way sometimes I keep them to 100K but this year it is easy to justify.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
Ha, Bighorns don't come with leather. I spent 1k to buy an all new leather interior from Katzkins before taking delivery. That was the only other thing I wanted in my bighorn. I didn't want air conditioned seats, I didn't want the big fancy infotainment system or navigation. I did not want to pay for the fancy projector headlights. nothing. So it was either pay 3 to 5k more for trim upgrades to get a leather interior, or just pay 1k for seats.
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
tomman58 wrote:
WTP-GC wrote:
Might be looking for a new truck toward end of this year, depending on how the tax projection goes. My 2014 RAM has been nearly flawless with about 78K miles. Yeah, I get the stupid "DEF service, 5 MPH max in xxx miles" message once in a while, but I just clear the code and keep on cruisin. For less than $45K, you can get a 3/4 ton RAM 4x4 with Cummins, 4 door brand new 2018 in the Tradesman trim. $400-$500 in leather seat covers, an upgraded radio head unit, and some other small mods and the truck is almost on par with the fancier trims.

Just seems wrong to take a brand new work truck than go through all the nonsense to make it into a RV TV. It always cost but a few dollars more to go first cabin and in the lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng run it is worth it.

WT? I paid $36K OTD for my 12 Ram ST in 2012. To get leather seats I would have to spend well over 10K more. $400-$500 for leather is a bargin.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
WTP-GC wrote:

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer

Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Like others, when I was looking a couple of years ago, lightly used, recent diesels were ridiculously expensive; so we bought new. A new truck is also ridiculously expensive, but at least you know it has not been beat up ploughing snow and/or tuned for drag racing, which is very common around here.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
transferred wrote:
ksss wrote:

transferred
Explorer
Explorer
ksss wrote:

05 Ram 3500 SRW QCSB Laramie 4x4 Cummins, 610lbs, 23k GC, 9.9k GV
(totaled) 16 Ram 3500 SRW RCLB SLT 4X4 Cummins Aisin, 900lbs, 25.3k GC, 11.5k GV
06 F550 4x4 PSD, 570lbs, 33k GC, 19.5k GV

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

dshelley
Explorer
Explorer
bowler1 wrote:
Hi
I am in the market for a used diesel 1 Ton single rear axle truck. I have no real preference among the big three. I like all of them. I just want something I can depend on...not just the engine but the whole truck. This is especially an issue when buying used. I am looking for a one or two year old truck with under 50k miles.

What's your recommendation?

Thanks
Matt

Matt, if you're looking for a 1 or 2 year old diesel truck with less than 50,000 miles, you can be certain that any of the three brands will give you the satisfaction you desire. It's entertaining but tiring to read those predictable child like brand blasting comments from the same people over and over. One thing though, you notice the complements from owners, especially long term owners of all three are about the same. Meaning that it is still foolish to believe one can come on here and make a reasonable argument that one brand is actually better than another. A wise person will choose by price and features regardless of the name on the grill.
2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab, 5'7"box. 395 HP 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 gear, 8 speed auto. 26 foot Heartland North Trail Caliber travel trailer.

freddmc
Explorer
Explorer
While my 05 Ram cummins has more that 50k miles(124K) it certainly isn't falling apart like one poster suggested. Everything still works, the dash is in perfect condition, the air ducts are fine, it looks good and it runs very well. I know its older and has more miles than the OP wants but you CAN find older vehicles in good shape.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
You will probably end up with a Ford, simply because there will be more of them out there.

IMHO, a 1-2 year old used truck is what I like to call a "sucker truck." Dealers want near-new prices for 2 year old trucks with 30-50k miles on them, and will not budge an inch on the price.

When I bought my 2015 Chevy, I ended up paying LESS for a brand new truck with 10 miles on it than I would have paid for a similarly-equipped 2013 truck with 35,000 miles on it.

When the first thing the salesman asks you is, "Have you looked at used?" when you go in looking at new trucks, you know something is up. If they can hook you for that 2 year old used truck, the profit margin and commission is much higher.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.