cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ordering my new Arctic Fox..option questions

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
So I’m looking at having to make a factory order as nobody has a 992 on the lots and the ones that did, had options I don’t want. I do have questions for those have factory ordered through Northwood.

I’m going with the thermal windows, bunk option and oven (my wife misses baking for some reason), and folding grab handle. That’s about it, no interest in AC or on board genset, TV, solar (adding aftermarket panels as I can get more for less money there). Adding my fox landing off my wolf creek. Is there anything I’m missing? Any “secret “ factory options that can be done?

Dealer is pretty cool so far and they are estimating the unit will be made in April-June time frame so I have some time to figure this out. Dealer said it might end up being a ‘19 but I’ll lock the price in by doing the order.
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.
42 REPLIES 42

KKELLER14K
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure it has exterior lights on both sides, preferably LED. In the past they were only installing one on the drivers side. I had an 1140 with no light on the passenger side...not so good. When I ordered my 1150 it was on the list. Your build sounds right on. Your list is pretty spot on. If you don't need air, so be it. It will come pre-wired regardless. You will love dual pane windows but remember this; The door will be single pane. Check out my do it yourself dual pane door window modification. It is a sticky in the truck camper university under projects - exterior. You will find it at the top of the page when you open up Truck Campers. It will be worth you time. Its a lot of money to spend on windows but still feel the cold coming in from the door. The Onan generators really are not very good, very loud and create a lot of vibration. Your better off with a detached Honda or the like. You can get a LPG carb modification for them if you don't want to carry gas. I would highly recommend this modification. Slide toppers are a must in my book also. DO NOT GET OUTSIDE SPEAKERS! They will eventually leak and cause all kinds of damage. Ask for LED running lights if they aren't already using them. If they don't maybe you can work out a custom deal. The holes they would drill for the wiring is much smaller and I would also suggest flush mounted brake and turn signal lights. They used to have huge cutouts for their rear lights which leak eventually...been there done that. If it has a book shelf above the bed you may want to eliminate that too. I liked that we eliminated it in our 1150, just a thought. Get the carpet kit option you will be happy you did. One big one in my book....NO GRAPHICS! Look at my profile...it's a white elephant. They peel, they fade and try pressure washing without them comeing off, just another suggestion. Way less maintenance and sun fading.
Good luck with your build!

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
When the weather is warm I head for the moumtains and park in the shade. Eastern Oregon is warm but I don't get the attraction of being in an RV park to have power to run it. It probably would be worthwhile to have AC for resale though. A TV is no big deal.

Arctic Fox and Nash trailers are well equipped to begin with. They have attenaes and solar wiring from the factory.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Agree, the traditional layout of the 990 is more versatile.
How long is the dinette/bed? Having the short bus version (860) the dinette bed is now short for anyone much over 5’ tall. Looks like the fridge takes up the same space as the 811/860 and all the additional length is in the dinette. That alone is a big upgrade.

What are the interior options? Just looking st the new campers, it looks like AF hasn’t managed to update much of the interior appearance new cabinets and appliances look awesome, but I swear the carpet and wall paper is the same as our 03?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Vinsil wrote:
Sure thing. We LOVED the dry bath. But the wet bath has more shower space. Loved the pantry as well. We walked the units and the floor space the 992 gives up is just too much when you walk them back to back. We bob agreed if it was just us two, 992 all the way. 3 kids? Need all the floor space we can get!!!!

I will need to compare the 2 again. It's been a few years since I looked at a 992.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
Congrats, the 990 is similar to my Host which we like.

Thank you. We loved the host but it’s more of a retirement camper for us. 10 years!

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
Vinsil wrote:
... We did a lot more reading and changed it up for a 990, it fits better.

Mind if I asked what things prompted the change from a 992 to a 990?

One drawback I see on the 992 is the inability to use it with the slide in because the slide blocks the bed.

Sure thing. We LOVED the dry bath. But the wet bath has more shower space. Loved the pantry as well. We walked the units and the floor space the 992 gives up is just too much when you walk them back to back. We bob agreed if it was just us two, 992 all the way. 3 kids? Need all the floor space we can get!!!!

Slide is another thing, pee breaks on the road happen and keeping the slide in a huge plus!!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Congrats, the 990 is similar to my Host which we like.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Vinsil wrote:
... We did a lot more reading and changed it up for a 990, it fits better.

Mind if I asked what things prompted the change from a 992 to a 990?

One drawback I see on the 992 is the inability to use it with the slide in because the slide blocks the bed.

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
Vinsil wrote:
They will eliminate the roof rack however.

Good deal on roof rack delete. That thing is about the most useless thing EVER.

Well, it's not totally useless. I use it as a hand-hold to get up on the roof.

Yeah I’m going to have to work on my yoga and be more limber I guess. Lol

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Vinsil wrote:
They will eliminate the roof rack however.

Good deal on roof rack delete. That thing is about the most useless thing EVER.

Well, it's not totally useless. I use it as a hand-hold to get up on the roof.

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Update!

So we are placing our order first week of February. We did a lot more reading and changed it up for a 990, it fits better. Northwood is NOT friendly for changing things. That part doesn’t sit well as I didn’t want much changed. Oh well.

So, thermal pane windows, bunk option, fox landing, agm batteries, slide topper, wardrobe upgrade and I plan to do my own solar panels, window shades and other smaller things on my own. Fast guns, super hitch/truss and of course, wheels and tires again. Should arrive early spring. Thanks for the advice!!!

Ronf789
Explorer
Explorer
I have the under seat drawer and outside storage. I added a 1/2" sheet of foam to insulate the outside storage area. During the winter, I noticed condensation on the outside access door. Since I added the foam against the back of the compartment close to the back of the drawer, no more condensation.

2BLAZERS
Explorer
Explorer
I'd ask about replacing the sliding window on front of camper with a 1 piece unit. It solved our water coming in the sliding window while driving in rain for 6 months a year.....the rain hits that like a pressure washer when driving at speed.
2016 Dodge Ram 3500 CC Dually Cummins,Aisin,Laramie,4*4,4.10,14K
2017 Stealth WA2916 Toyhauler
2011 Arctic Fox 1150 Drybath
2017 Polaris 1000 XP Sportsman
2009 Polaris RZR w/fun parts
2014 Polaris 850 HO Scrambler
1977 K5 Blazer 1ton'd
2005 Pace Enclosed Toybox

v6toy4x
Explorer
Explorer
If the under seat storage on the rear dinette portion is a drawer on the inside and a compartment on the outside change the drawer to just a door remove the center divider and have a nice long compartment on the outside for your chairs
1998.5 dodge cummins edgeEZ/tst/BD ex brake/georend trans
2000 21 ft team hawaiian jet boat 502 chevy
1985 toyota 4-runner geared down and locked up
2005 arctic fox 1140