Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filon Exterior

ducksquasher
Explorer
Explorer
Hey All,

Can someone help me understand filon exterior walls? I was looking at Cougar 5th wheels this weekend and the factory rep was explaning the difference between them and the Montana line without filon. The filon seems like it would wear through since you can already see the fiberglass fibers in the finished exterior?

I don't have any experience with these filon walls and durability...please help educate me.

Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

jay5er
Explorer
Explorer
Filon is a good wall, But Gelcoat Fiberglas is far superior. Gelcoat is what the hulls of boats are made of and the strength of that wall is far superior BUT Gelcoat is a little more upkeep, but when it's clean and polished---THERE IS NOTHING BETTER....

Nv_Guy
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nothing wrong with Filon, holds up well. Biggest issue is repairing it. It's tough to match the little "fiber" pattern, so repairs are smooth and somewhat noticeable. So, don't hit anything...

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Our 5th wheel is 25 years old and has sat outside in the weather since new. I wash it before each trip and wax it about every two years. The Filon siding still looks new each time it is waxed.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Nothing wrong with filon. Our last TT was made of it and still looked like new after 13 years of washing and polishing.
The problem is with graphics that are baked by the sun.