cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water Heater on or off when Full Timing

CabinetmakerII
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I have been RVing for 30 + years and Full-Timing for 3 years. We have had more than one conversation about leaving the water heater on to ensure we have hot water when we need it, or to turn it off when not in use and risk not having hot water when it comes time to do the dishes or take a shower. Wondering what others do... also, do you run propane or electric?
Cabinetmaker

2021 DRV 39 DBRS3
2017 F-450 4X4, Riece 24K Hitch
2011 F-450 4X4, Companion 18K Hitch, Air Bags (Retired)
2012 Cyclone 3800, 5th Airborne Kingpin (Retired)
2018 Polairs 1000 XP Side by Side
27 REPLIES 27

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
We left ours on for our entire 9 years on the
road. Never had an issue with ours or other's cycling. I want hot water when I want it.
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
I turn ours on twice a day, morning and evening.
If I don't use it it doesn't wear out so fast. IMHO.!

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
We leave ours on. They are designed to be left on, just like your S&B House.
God Bless!

Chiku
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚

Chiku
Explorer
Explorer
I can only say that I have had very,very good experience with Gas Tankless Water Heater in bitter winters. They do make a tankless water heater. Based on my experience I would be inclined towards them if I was looking for a water heater.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
.... Electric when AC Power is available otherwise Propane as it is NOT all that expensive (if it was about 'costs' I would not have an RV).

There's only one thing I hate more on RV trips than having to gas up often, so I really appreciate the range we get off the RV's fuel tank.

The one thing I hate more is pulling up stakes - especially boondocking stakes - to drive all over the place to find someplace and someone who can and will refill our built-in propane tank. Our propane supply is precious to us, as it's the most difficult expendable in our RV to replenish.

So .... we have no propane flame burning when not absolutely necessary. i.e. We light and extinguish the oven's pilot light with every use and only have the propane-only water heater turned on around the times we need hot water. For some reason, Winnebago packed in a whole bunch of insulation around our WH, so once heated, the water remains pretty hot for a long time. Of course we leave the refrig on Auto, so it never uses propane unless it has no choice ... I even wish that it was a 3-way refrigerator to better conserve propane.

I guess that's an advantage of a small TT or a TC ... they often use the common little 5 gal propane tanks, so it's easy to have them refilled or exchange them everywhere.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Happy Prospector wrote:
2oldman wrote:
I wish more people would realize how loud one of those gas wh's are at 3am.

I never noticed waterheater noise at 3am, we're fast asleep.

For those of us who are light sleepers, it is quite easy to have a water heater come on and wake you up - - or delay your going to sleep

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

Happy_Prospecto
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
I wish more people would realize how loud one of those gas wh's are at 3am.

I never noticed waterheater noise at 3am, we're fast asleep.
Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er, 1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler, 2019 Polaris Ranger
Bob, the Yorkie Terrier helping me prospect til the money runs out

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
electric on as you can
leave it on propane all the time if required

I am never without hot water on demand ๐Ÿ™‚

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
I turned mine off when we went to bed and on first thing when I got up. Had water in 40 minutes so when I took my shower.

Many RV parks when we stayed a while charged for electricity. It was usually cheaper to use propane - depends on the price of each.

If you go HERE you can download a program for RVers that will make the simple calculation for you. It allows you to input the heater efficiently. If you see a box wanting you to sign in just close it and do the download.
According to an email to me from engineering at Suburban Manufacturing, the efficiency of RV furnaces ranges from 70 to 80 percent. Water heaters are 70 percent efficient on gas.

Note: Because Microsoft in their infinite wisdom didn't include the software to support the older help file formats, for Windows Vista and higher you will need to download and install a Microsoft program that allows you to use help files with the "hlp" extension for whatever operating system you are using - if you want to use the help file (not really necessary to use the program)..
You can download it here Microsoft Knowledge Base. Scroll down to select your operating system.That doesn't work for Win10 however. Microsoft has not produced a patch for Win10.
The program is so simple that a help file isn't really needed. It just shows the info used to write the program .
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
stickdog,, we've been out for 11 years and are on 30 amps about 1/2 the time. With the exception of Labor Day weekend in the Sonoma Valley when temperatures reached 115 and we only had 30 amps and a/c running 24/7, we always have the water heater on electric and never, ever have a problem. The only thing I do is make sure that the a/c isn't running when the microwave is, otherwise we don't have a problem. Obviously only 1 a/c at a time, unlike when on 50 amp, but that is the only restriction we work around on 30 amps.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
We spend so much time on 30amp that when our thirteen year old gas/electric water heater started leaking I opted for a dsi gas only. It only comes on when needed and I rather keep the energy hog fridge on the 120. Even then with other appliances energy management comes into play.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are full-time and use our rv just like we did our house. The water heater is always on. I don't want luke warm water at night to do my dishes. I want HOT water. There is a thermostat on it so it doesn't run continuously. Now if we were on 30 amp of for some reason needing to save on our power usage, then we might shut it off. Hasn't happened in 7 yrs though.

CabinetmakerII
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
avan wrote:
...and when parked in a campsite, throw some jacks down and let the air out of the tires...

Guess 'avan' REALLY doesn't like water heaters being ON :H

:B

Old Biscuit, you are truly one of a kind... :):)
Cabinetmaker

2021 DRV 39 DBRS3
2017 F-450 4X4, Riece 24K Hitch
2011 F-450 4X4, Companion 18K Hitch, Air Bags (Retired)
2012 Cyclone 3800, 5th Airborne Kingpin (Retired)
2018 Polairs 1000 XP Side by Side