cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

FULL TIMING

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
I met a couple a few days ago who have been Full timing for 44 years. They have raised their children and home schooled them in a RV. Is that a record or what. Apparently they haven't lived in anything except RV's al their married lives.
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !
18 REPLIES 18

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
Steeljag wrote:
2oldman wrote:
You mean actually travelling, or just living in an RV?

X2 living or traveling ?

What is their current RV ?

When they told us I did say " in the same RV"? He did say what it was and it isn't new. They are traveling Evangelists so it hasn't been sitting still.
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !

bobkatmsu
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
I experiment with the idea sometimes - tell the DW to look in the side mirror at the side of the coach - now think.... that is it.... home. Everything you own stops at the rear bumper of the Jeep.... No driveway, no garden, no garage..........

It would be hard - hats off to those that can do it.

As I said before, to each their own. The way I look at it is...no driveway to shovel, no garden to weed in the hot summer sun, no garage full of stuff that I have not used in 10 years.:)
2010 Newmar Dutch Star DP
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Full timing for 13 years going on 14. Keep thinking that someday...maybe 10 years from now, I MIGHT be interested in settling down somewhere. But wait...I haven't been there yet, I should check it out...
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I experiment with the idea sometimes - tell the DW to look in the side mirror at the side of the coach - now think.... that is it.... home. Everything you own stops at the rear bumper of the Jeep.... No driveway, no garden, no garage..........

It would be hard - hats off to those that can do it.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
HMMM! My wife's aunt and uncle were married 71 years, That's all I got.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's been 20 years (nearly 21) for us. Moved from VA to FL in a smaller RV and planned to build a house in FL. Figured out quickly FL was not for us so we took a 6 month vacation tour of the US in our new to us Prevost. We liked it so much we started working on the road and we have been traveling on business for the last 17 years. Very happy campers!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

weathershak
Explorer
Explorer
Well, for me, 5 years now and going strong. After parents passing, divorce after 24 years, kids grown up, having to sell the house, I moved into the MH and decided to retire. Well, I still work full time, but I have seen too many people work their butts off until retirement, only to get sick. At least 1 day a week I play the RV game and the same during vacation. If I live long enough to truly retire, I will be set.
Full timing it since July 2012

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Full timing-hmmmm We get to see things in this great country, most people never get to see. We've traveled back and forth across this great nation many times using all back roads when possible. Lots of little towns, friendly people and wonderful sights, smells and sounds. I home schooled my kids too. (thanks internet) Now our grandkids love to travel with us during their summer vacations. We get to connect with them and they get to see/do things they'd never be able to. At 17, they've been to 45 States and enjoyed every minute of it. We usually let them choose what they would like to do. i.e. they wanted to swim in all the Great Lakes, so one met us in Memphis, the other in Chicago and we did the circle tour. They just might not have a 'bucket list' when they get old...:)

The big difference is if we don't like our neighbors, weather, whatever, we simply turn the key. We had 129,000 miles on our Dynasty and already we are at 95,000 on the Executive. Big wheels-turning-movin'on.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
We started fulltiming a couple years after retirement. Come January, we start our 15th year. And we still speak to each other. :B Granted, it's not for everyone, but we love it. We have made so many memories it hard to keep up with them. Made great friends also.

We have met several couples that are full time with kids that are home schooled. My only thoughts are for the kids. During the winter Snowbird season there are not too many kids in the campgrounds where we stay.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
You mean actually travelling, or just living in an RV?

X2 living or traveling ?

What is their current RV ?
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Our post-retirement trip was 6 months 16 states and 6000 miles. We had fun, but at the end we decided future adventures of 3 months would be about right.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
WE threw caution in the wind and jump in cause life is too short...neither of
OUR parents got to enjoy retirement due to early deaths and/or long term illnesses.

So off we went.....7 glorious/wonderful years FTng traveling weekly here/there 12 trips across the USA roughly 70K towing our 'home' and over 110K total miles

Life threw that curve ball and we came off the road.......miss it too

BUT it was just the 2 of us.
Not newly weds, working, pregnancies, raising kids, home schooling etc

For some reason I got a visual of the 'friendly Gornicke family' in the Robin Williams movie 'RV'
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

jim1521
Explorer
Explorer
bobkatmsu wrote:
We just returned home after 5 months and 7600 miles on the motor home another 3600 miles on the Jeep toad. This was our first extended trip in the motor home. What we figured out after about 3 months was that no matter where we were, camped at the base of the Grand Tetons, or a Walmart parking lot in Lincoln, Nebraska, at the end of the day when we went to bed we were home. We can have new adventures, see new things and at night be in our own little cocoon. Obviously it's not for everyone, but for us this is the right thing at the right time for us. We are not jumping in with both feet, we are going to rent our house for at least two years and then go from there. We can't wait.

I agree. We bought our TT in July, to do a little traveling around. When we evacuated due to Irma, we lived in it for nearly two weeks - and decided that we thoroughly enjoyed it. We were in a high stress environment, and loved it. We're looking forward to doing it on a 5 or 6 month basis next year at a nice campground - at our own pace instead of being chased by a hurricane - , and if we like it, we'll sell the condo and go for 3-4 years traveling around the country. At the end of that timeframe, we'll either continue on or settle down somewhere that we liked in our travels.

bobkatmsu
Explorer
Explorer
We just returned home after 5 months and 7600 miles on the motor home another 3600 miles on the Jeep toad. This was our first extended trip in the motor home. What we figured out after about 3 months was that no matter where we were, camped at the base of the Grand Tetons, or a Walmart parking lot in Lincoln, Nebraska, at the end of the day when we went to bed we were home. We can have new adventures, see new things and at night be in our own little cocoon. Obviously it's not for everyone, but for us this is the right thing at the right time for us. We are not jumping in with both feet, we are going to rent our house for at least two years and then go from there. We can't wait.
2010 Newmar Dutch Star DP
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara