cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Host Mammoth, any tips for the build out?

cartmancartman
Explorer
Explorer
I am close to ordering a Mammoth and wanted to see if there are any additional items I can upgrade to during or after production. I will be ordering the Pecan interior Kind bed with almost all the options besides the solar windows, satelite and outside TV.

Any other suggestions?
9 REPLIES 9

yblaw
Explorer
Explorer
We live in SoCal and often camp in the desert. If heat is an issue in the cabover area of your Mammoth, check out www.swampy.net They make the "Little Swampy" evaporative coolers. We bought the K-2 Model for $299 delivered. We cut out a piece of 1/8" masonite to fit the passenger side window in the bedroom, cut a 4" hole in it, attached a 4" duct and flex hose, and set the cooler on the slideout ledge above the refrigerator. It really works well. If you live in humid areas where "vap" coolers don't help much, it doens't need to have water added or use the outside air; works fine as a fan to circulate the A/C flow in the bedroom.

Spearfisherman7
Explorer
Explorer
I don't like it because it lets in a lot of heat. Tha a/c could barely keep up. I ended up stuffing a 3" foam in it and that lowered the bedroom temperature by @ 5deg. I also put reflectix in the vent fans and shower skylight which helped a lot also. The windows don't seem to be letting in as much heat as long as you lower the shades on the sunny side. Putting the awning out usually helps too.

cartmancartman
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the suggestions. I do have a few questions.

I really enjoy the upgraded skylight in the bedroom, why do many people not like it?
Im really suprised at this price point the Host does not come with day night shades, has anyone priced these out? IF not I might consider the solar. I am getting a lot of mixed reviews on the solar, I was told if you are in very hot climates it is worth it. Colder areas not so much.
I was going to add more solar panels but I was told, 160 watt panels is more than enough for 2 batteries.

I did add a power station by the bed, extra wiring for wireless security cameras and extra wiring for motion sensor lights on 3 sides of the cab.

New models do come with a tank flush.

Those with the Ram 3500 how much clearance do you have at the rear wheel flares when backing up with the swing out brackets extended?

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
Talking to Randall is important. He will keep you abreast of all the latest changes and options that are not listed. Also, just ask for something if you want it. They just might do it. My build is well documented on this forum. We are very happy with it. Really like the leather and the up graded sky light. I am very glad I put my own inverter, TV's, sound bar in. Good luck.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

Spearfisherman7
Explorer
Explorer
Ask for a black tank flush.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
yblaw wrote:
I recommend that you order yours with the solar window option. In addition to blocking uv rays and heat, they act as a one way privacy screen during the day. When we ordered our first Mammoth, I didn't want to pay the extra money for the solar windows. Randall talked me into it, and we are very glad that he did so.

+1
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

yblaw
Explorer
Explorer
I recommend that you order yours with the solar window option. In addition to blocking uv rays and heat, they act as a one way privacy screen during the day. When we ordered our first Mammoth, I didn't want to pay the extra money for the solar windows. Randall talked me into it, and we are very glad that he did so.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
cartmancartman wrote:
I am close to ordering a Mammoth and wanted to see if there are any additional items I can upgrade to during or after production. I will be ordering the Pecan interior Kind bed with almost all the options besides the solar windows, satelite and outside TV.

Any other suggestions?

If you do Facebook come on over to the host owners group. Lot's of discussion going on regarding ordering options.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/350835452030178/

If you haven't already I would contact Randall at Host with any questions. Some of our options were suggested and not indicated in Hosts literature/online such as the rear slide furniture delete and ordering with "laundry platform"
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bedlam, Work2much and new member yblaw have recent builds and options not generally advertised. Yblaw even told me of an option to the filon exterior but at a price.
If I did it over (I bought mine new but built for somebody else) it would include the coffee table, delete the Heike skylight in bedroom in favor of other options, and multiple solar panels in lieu of the 150 single. Really like the See Level gauges and will soon change to those. I would also delete the dish and antenna on the roof and look at other options. We're also happy with the faux leather. I would love to have theater seating in the back slide! The dinette gets uncomfortable after awhile.
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body