cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keep plugged in or disconnect battery when parked

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Friends of ours just bought a new Coachmen class c. I have a class A and keep it plugged in all the time when not using it, but have a 3 stage charger. Should they keep theirs plugged in all the time also, or disconnect the batteries when parked in the drive?
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog
17 REPLIES 17

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Bordercollie wrote:
Our modern Multi-Stage "Charge Wizard" converter charger depleted the house battery electrolyte level when left unchecked for a number of months. Best to check electrolyte levels and state of charge at a regular schedule to get best useful life out of batteries.
That was my experience, concluding it was better for me to disconnect instead.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Our modern Multi-Stage "Charge Wizard" converter charger depleted the house battery electrolyte level when left unchecked for a number of months. Best to check electrolyte levels and state of charge at a regular schedule to get best useful life out of batteries.

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
If they have a single stage converter, the easiest thing is to disconnect. If plugged in, the batteries will need to be checked regularly. They could also plug in to battery maintainers for the coach and chassis batteries which would be really easy. No disconnecting of anything required. The best thing for them would be to change over to a multi stage converter. They are not that expensive and generally not difficult to install. Mine went into the same enclosure as the old converter.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a multi-stage, "charge wizard" converter which can float the batteries, I say plug in. If you have a single stage converter, chuck the converter and buy a real one, or perhaps go with an inverter.

Single stage converters will dine on your battery's soul.

pastorbillv
Explorer
Explorer
Only keep plugged in IF you have a battery "tender" that will stop charging and watch for a drop that is enough to have to recharge. My experience is that with older charging units, they'll keep charging and dry-out / destroy your batteries. I also use the "disconnect" switch to stop those tiny drains that will discharge your battery over time.

JMHO!
2004 Bigfoot 29G (Love the garage!)
2017 Northern-Lite 10'2" SE on F-350 (CC, Dually, 4WD, Boss)

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
On my Motor Home when not in use I turn off the house batteries, and on the engine battery I installed a knife blade disconnect right on the battery.

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is a 1993 Class C. Ours does not draw any power when it isn't used. I keep it unplugged till the day before we leave to cool the frig. and charge
the battery if needed. If we need to keep it plugged in all the time, that tells me that either something is drawing the battery down, or it's time for a
new battery.
Brian

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
If they have modern multi stage converter then I suggest they keep it plugged in (same as you). I suspect their Class C doesn't have the ability to maintain the chassis battery when connected to shore power - if so they should invest in Trik L Start (inexpensive and easy to install).
Kevin

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Disconnect and add a modest solar charging system.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
I found it best to disconnect our batteries, but our rig is stored indoors.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I keep my Class C plugged in 24/7/365. During the winter I turn the converter off and use a Battery Tender to maintain the battery. I have a 3 stage converter but I prefer the battery Tender. I have found that my electric bill is less with the Battery Tender.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have 2 AGM batteries that self-discharge very slowly, perhaps 1% per month. As a result just disconnect them with the battery disconnect switch and leave the rv unplugged between uses.
2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Plug it in. Still need to watch battery voltage drops to what you expect within a week and that water level does not drop too low. Should not be a big issue in Winter.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
What type of converter do they have? How long are these periods of non-use? How conscientious are your friends about checking the battery electrolyte levels and topping up if needed? Is this during the summer or winter?

In general, keeping it plugged in would probably be better, but there are very many variables. Other good options include setting up a timer to power the converter for a short spell each day (say maybe an hour) or connecting a decent little maintenance charger and not using the converter while stored.