cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPL Texas customers

bobkatmsu
Explorer
Explorer
Checking on the buying experience of those of you who have dealt with PPL. Any type of 30 day warranty? Or is it all on you as you drive off the lot? How much were you able to get them off their asking price? If you traded your old unit in, did they give you a decent trade value. Any other positives or negatives would be appreciated. Of course a concern buying in Texas would be was there any damage or flooding in the past huricanes. As always, thanks in advance.
2010 Newmar Dutch Star DP
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
9 REPLIES 9

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
For years I read about how great PPL was, so I wanted to check them out. I was not overly impressed with a few of their units. They are resellers like so many other RV places.

I would not go out of my way if you have a good local RV sales place that you know does good honest business. If not, then take a look at PPL.

Apparently you're not familiar with what PPL primarily does. They are a consignment agency, not a "reseller". I understand they do sometimes buy used units under certain conditions and resell them, but that's a very small part of their business. By far, the majority of their business is brokering RV's owned by other people, something they do quite well by most accounts from people that both bought and sold through them. As said, they also have a very large RV parts business, both in store and online, with very competitive prices.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
The interesting thing about PPL is they have overnight accommodations. We bought our first DP from them years ago. They negotiated with the seller and continued doing so for a couple small repairs that needed to be done. We then stayed in their campground for three nights to ensure everything was good to go. After replacing the batteries, we headed out and didn't have any issues. Over all it was an excellent experience....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
PPL is primarily a CONSIGNMENT LOT-- I believe the largest in the U.S. So condition will range from excellent to units that have been neglected.

No, PPL does not recondition for sale units any more than any other consignment lot. They do offer a check of house systems(not chassis)as part of the purchase process.

They also have one of the larger RV parts departments with good pricing.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
The only mistake I made was when I bought my 2007 Winnebago from them I should have had them sell my older rig on consignment instead of trading it in on the newer unit before buying the Winne. They made a pretty nice profit. My older unit sold within a week for $8,000.00 more then they gave in trade in. Other then that it was great. Pay to have everything checked out before signing the papers. they found and fixed the 2 items they found wrong.

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sold my last RV thru them and it went well. They suggested a selling price based on the history that had on similar units and it was in line with what I'd found in other sales both private and commercial. The sales price we agreed to gave them a range they could negotiate within when selling, but if a buyer offered something outside that range they'd contact me giving me a chance to counter offer or accept the lower price. Took about two months to find the right buyer and then they did a complete inspection on the unit and found a water leak in my black tank. They gave me the opportunity of having them fix it or passing the problem on to the buyer negotiating an adjustment to the sales price. I had them fix it and they came in well under their estimate. Within 5 days of that I had a check in hand.

Overall if was a very good and fair process and I'd do it again if I wanted to sell my current RV. What I liked was not having to hassle with the financial issue worrying that the buyers check or financing wouldn't come thru. And in the end I got very close to what I'd have gotten in a private sale. Their commission was 10% on the sales price and I factored that into my asking price.

Boxer_Lovers
Explorer
Explorer
PPL asks the seller to address any flooding issues as well as any other problem but they rely on the honesty of the seller
I have a coach listed with them now. It's a nice unit priced to sell, therefore within 10 days we have an offer pending.
Dave, Robin, and Buster the Boxer
2008 Beaver Contessa, 42, Caterpillar 425
Toad 2017 Ram 1500, Quad Cab, Limited, M&G brake, Blue Ox.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
For years I read about how great PPL was, so I wanted to check them out. I was not overly impressed with a few of their units. They are resellers like so many other RV places.

I would not go out of my way if you have a good local RV sales place that you know does good honest business. If not, then take a look at PPL.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

johnsonbert
Explorer
Explorer
We did purchase 1 DP from PPL Houston. The process went very smoothly. They have a list of things that must work before the coach can leave the lot. That list does not include leaks or water intrusion though. All the safety features must work and they have other items also on a checklist. The seller sets the price following their advice a little. They negotiate with the seller for you. We licensed it and paid taxes in SD and that went smoothly also. If you find things wrong, the seller does not have to accept your offer or fix any deficiencies you find if there not on the required list. They have some nice units and some you have to look over close. Can't answer about flood units, except to look them over very close. All in all, out experience was good, and we only had a couple of small surprises to take care of after the purchase. We did not trade in a vehicle. Hope this may help, happy trails bert
2006 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' Tag, ISL 400,(new to us), Residential Refrig, 10KW Onan, Bosch Washer/220V Dryer (previously 2003 American Tradition 40W) 2010 Chev Malibu LT

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Search ppl. there's a ton of stuff.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman