Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loosing speed going uphill and revs at 3500 rpm+

rv2017
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there
I just bought a Class C 2005 Coachmen Leprechaun. When there is the slightest incline the MH just can’t make it. It got down to 45 mph and revved at 4000 and I had my foot to the metal. It was not gonna go any faster. Also between the driver and passenger seats gets very very hot. When the MH was pulled over to rest, we saw NO leaking and all controls were normal. WHat is the issue so I can get it fixed. Thanks for your help
Judi
41 REPLIES 41

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
If that Leprechaun was powered by a Ford V10, maybe it's perceived low power at even high RPM was due to one of these two issues -

1. Built on the E350 chassis instead of the E450 chassis. The E450 chassis has a lower rear differential ratio so it pulls up grades better.

2. The air cleaner assembly had this slight and easy to fix error in how it was put together: https://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=169332
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
rv2017 wrote:
Hi there
I just bought a Class C 2005 Coachmen Leprechaun. When there is the slightest incline the MH just can’t make it. It got down to 45 mph and revved at 4000 and I had my foot to the metal. It was not gonna go any faster. Also between the driver and passenger seats gets very very hot. When the MH was pulled over to rest, we saw NO leaking and all controls were normal. WHat is the issue so I can get it fixed. Thanks for your help
Judi

Sorry to ask, but did you buy a rental? My daughter rented one of those Leprechaun's and it was seriously under powered. Would barely go up a hill. Just wondering.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
hopefully, the OP will update his post with the info from the service tech.

Gary

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Look like I poked a bees nest full of diesel loving bees! LOL

Yes I did mean he same years as my 02. It the guy in the super C with the diesel was only about 3 years old. Granted he was maybe about 5k lbs heavier, but even with that and a newer diesel he should’ve been able to walk right by me.

Again either way the OP has an issue with his he needs to sort out.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
RoyBell wrote:
Not to say the V10 isn't a stout motor when towing, but any new diesel from the big 3 have 800+ tq and 350+ hp. That's twice the torque than the V10s. Theres really no comparison when loaded.

That's 800+ ft-lbs of torque on the diesel engine's crankshaft, but it's of course torque on the drive wheels that counts. You get that by using the proper gears to convert engine horsepower into the required final amount of torque at the drive wheels.

The turbo boost on modern diesel engines is what gives them a load pulling advantage at mountain altitudes over equal horsepower gas engines that aren't boosted - when comparing the same loads moved at the same speeds. It's too bad that modern big gas truck engines aren't boosted like the diesels are so that on grades - between the two types - you get equal pulling performance with equal horsepower.

FWIW, when I downshift our V10 and it's RPM makes a step function jump into the 4500-5000 range ... I feel a solid punch in the seatback as torque on the rear dullies leaps up.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
RoyBell wrote:
What about a tuneup (new plugs, filters, etc) and some engine modifications to create a little more power?

Cold air intake, higher flower exhaust, headers, tuner if avail, more aggressive rearend gear, etc. Squeaking a little more hp/tq may help the engine run a little more efficiently.

My Tundra used to scream up some hills, even with the 5.7 gasser. My CTD Ram just pokes along in 5th gear up the same grades.

dodge guy wrote:

Nothing crappy about the Ford V-10! In fact it will hang right with a stock diesel. Another point of fact, I had a guy in a Super C with a diesel try passing me and he just couldn’t do it. He ended up settling in behind my V-10 for the rest of that leg of my trip. THe OP has a problem with his. Hopefully he gets it sorted out.

Not to say the V10 isn't a stout motor when towing, but any new diesel from the big 3 have 800+ tq and 350+ hp. That's twice the torque than the V10s. Theres really no comparison when loaded.

He must've meant an old stock diesel like a 6.5 GM or a 7.3 or 12V. New diesels are not even in the same league.
V10s are great engines. Add altitude and load and they peter out like any other NA engine.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
What about a tuneup (new plugs, filters, etc) and some engine modifications to create a little more power?

Cold air intake, higher flower exhaust, headers, tuner if avail, more aggressive rearend gear, etc. Squeaking a little more hp/tq may help the engine run a little more efficiently.

My Tundra used to scream up some hills, even with the 5.7 gasser. My CTD Ram just pokes along in 5th gear up the same grades.

dodge guy wrote:

Nothing crappy about the Ford V-10! In fact it will hang right with a stock diesel. Another point of fact, I had a guy in a Super C with a diesel try passing me and he just couldn’t do it. He ended up settling in behind my V-10 for the rest of that leg of my trip. THe OP has a problem with his. Hopefully he gets it sorted out.

Mike_LeClair
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
bguy wrote:
Check for plugged exhaust, especially cats if any.

If your cats are plugged maybe you can give them a enema. I don't know how that is going to help out your RV problem .

I don't think that trying to give a cat a enema is going to be very easy though.

Unless bguy means that there is a cat plugging your exhaust. I hope not.

😛 (This is my attempt at humor, I hope that someone gets it)

ROTFLMAO - Yup, your attempt at humour Notice the CDN spelling, EH) was spot on. Very good stuff!

and yes, for the OP, if your RV has a Cat Converter stiff on it you may have to have it checked for flow performance.

Cheers Boys and Girls!

Mike
Something Old, Something New
2012 F350 SRW, 6.7l Powerstroke, 3.55's front and rear.
2008 Fleetwood Regal 325RKTS
Mike, Carol and our 4 legged "furry child" Kenzie Shweenie Tod

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
bguy wrote:
Check for plugged exhaust, especially cats if any.

If your cats are plugged maybe you can give them a enema. I don't know how that is going to help out your RV problem .

I don't think that trying to give a cat a enema is going to be very easy though.

Unless bguy means that there is a cat plugging your exhaust. I hope not.

😛 (This is my attempt at humor, I hope that someone gets it)

jbeliera
Explorer
Explorer
Yea been on that one too especially OLD PRIEST grade. It was steep short and very curly. We used to do that with our road racing type motor cycles
John and Judie Beliera
2008 Laredo 29RL, Fiver (Mustang Sally)
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
2015 GMC 2500 HD 6.0 liter

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
jbeliera wrote:
well 4x4 you being a Cali boy you should know all about grades, especially with Donner,The Grape Vine and not to mention Sonora Pass the mother of all Grades. Been there done that. Did Sonora pass, but not with an RV too narrow and steep

Sonora Pass may be only the Aunt of all Grades. Probably something like Old Priest Grade is the Mother.

Back on topic: The OP's 29 foot Class C is not exactly a small one ... even when the E450's stump pulling rear end differential ratio is pulling it. Our 24 foot Class C on an E450 can fly up grades, but it does at times take high V10 RPM to do it. Owners not used to demanding high RPM from a truck engine might think that their V10 chassis is under-powered.

jbeliera
Explorer
Explorer
well I feel sorry for guys that have to drag a sled up and down mountains but maybe we ought to try and leave some of the **** home instead of draggin the waggin full of stuff. Well I am perfectly satisfied going up about 6% at about 48MPH with my little 6 Liter Jimmy. I am in no hurry and my "Waggin" (Mustang Sally) is an aluminum frame so I can afford to take more stuff
John and Judie Beliera
Anderson Ultimate Hitch

jbeliera
Explorer
Explorer
well 4x4 you being a Cali boy you should know all about grades, especially with Donner,The Grape Vine and not to mention Sonora Pass the mother of all Grades. Been there done that. Did Sonora pass, but not with an RV too narrow and steep
John and Judie Beliera
Anderson Ultimate Hitch

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Since we have no idea what grade he was trying to get over, none of us know whether he has a problem or not. A 29' motorhome is alot of weight; if he was on a significant grade, settling in at 45mph is nothing to be ashamed of. If on the other hand, he was just cresting a gentle rise, then yeah, there's a problem.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II