cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Level question

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
I was hooking up my fifth wheel this evening to head out in the morning. When I pushed auto retract everything was fine until the very end and I got a beep with the screen saying low voltage?? One rear jack was about two inches from fully retracted so I hit auto level and started again. Same thing at the end only saying low voltage?? It said hit enter to acknowledge so I did and then hit auto retract again and it fully retracted. Any idea?? I was hooked to sure power and my battery is not even 2 months old. Thanks
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually
7 REPLIES 7

justme
Explorer
Explorer
RV_Adventures wrote:
abc40kids wrote:
I had an appointment the next day for another issue so I talked to the tech about the low voltage issue. He told me that it was the cold weather and the hydraulic fluid will get thick and cause that low voltage light. no problem since that cold morning.

I was going to suggest checking for an obstruction causing an over amp condition, looks like you found it!

So how cold was it? I only have that problem when the batteries are not up to full charge. Even at low temps 20deg F my system works well only when the batteries are at full charge and can deliver the power. When my system starts to act up it is a good time to check the batteries ability to produce power under full load. When batteries start to get sulfated they loose their ability to produce power.

justme
Explorer
Explorer
abc40kids wrote:
I was hooking up my fifth wheel this evening to head out in the morning. When I pushed auto retract everything was fine until the very end and I got a beep with the screen saying low voltage?? One rear jack was about two inches from fully retracted so I hit auto level and started again. Same thing at the end only saying low voltage?? It said hit enter to acknowledge so I did and then hit auto retract again and it fully retracted. Any idea?? I was hooked to sure power and my battery is not even 2 months old. Thanks

The batteries are somewhat discharged or they are too weak. When in storage to maintain a full charge requires at least a 2-5watt solar panel. Hooking up the truck or shore power should allow enough power to the hydraulic pump when the house batteries are not up to charge.

jgrimes
Explorer
Explorer
Won't u have a problem if u use "auto level" while still hooked to ur truck? Seems like system could easily try to lift the tow vehicle off the ground.

Diesel_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
abc40kids wrote:
I had an appointment the next day for another issue so I talked to the tech about the low voltage issue. He told me that it was the cold weather and the hydraulic fluid will get thick and cause that low voltage light. no problem since that cold morning.

I was going to suggest checking for an obstruction causing an over amp condition, looks like you found it!

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually

TheCaptKen
Explorer
Explorer
Scroll through the screen next time and check the voltage.
2002 Powerstroke
2003 27RK Wildcat (Cathouse)
2017 Denali 316 RES

SailingOn
Explorer
Explorer
- Battery actually low? Check voltage at the battery; on shore power, should be
13v or more. If not,
---- be sure battery terminals are clean/tight.
---- check voltage at converter; if <13, converter has blown a fuse or failed.
Buck: 2004 Wilderness Yukon 8275S, now memories.
Star: Open range LF297RLS. 2 air conditioners!
Togo: 2014 Winnebago View Profile, 2013 Sprinter chassis; 16 mpg
Snow: 2020 F250 diesel
AD5GR