cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on a tow dolly.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Ok. So my boss came across a Master Tow tow dolly. It needs a few things such as the plastic fenders and lights. As well as new tires. It’s from 92 according to what I can read on the sticker. It has load range “C” tires. This would give it about a 3200 lb axle capacity. Which I would guess give it approx a 7klb gross weight rating, there is a rating on he sticker, but I can’t make it out. It like old like it says 71??lbs, but here’s the thing. This dolly has no trailer brakes! Never had them! How is that possible when I’m just about any state, anything towed over 2-3k lbs is supposed to have brakes? This is new to me. but let’s say I have a minivan loaded with bikes and stuff that weighs about 5500lbs. That’s a lot of weight for a MH to try and stop. I assumed they all had brakes! I guess not. Not to mention in a breakaway event there is nothing to slow down or stop the dolly/toad.

Anyone have any input!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!
17 REPLIES 17

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Never seen anyone get so paranoid over towing w/o brakes.
Ever heard of driving defensively ? Whenever I felt I was under braked, I would drive a little slower, not follow so close, whatever it took to be safe.
If you don't agree w/ the braking laws, quit whining, and get a dolly w/ brakes, simple as that ! Yes, I have toad many thousands of miles w/o brakes.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Before we bought our dolly, with surge brakes, we rented one,no brakes, to see how our unit would pull a dolly and how it handled. Difference was night and day. Would not even think about pulling a dolly without brakes now.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
If it is such a bad law, why do so many states have it? In fact, many states say 40 (the most common) or 45 (California) feet, for a "combination of vehicles", not 30.
FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards), IIRC, say 40 feet.
ALL of them are from 20 MPH!
I am merely stating what the law IS. I can't explain WHY it is what it is, nor am I particularly concerned whether the law makes sense or not. If I can find them, I report on them, usually quoting the exact statute for reference.
Think about this: It is easy to find an unoccupied piece of pavement where a 20 MPH test can be done. Where will you find an unoccupied, level, piece or road to do a 60 MPH test to see in the vehicle can stop within 150 feet?
As always, the bottom line is: If you don't like the law, contact your state legislators to get it changed. If you can get enough people on board, maybe your person will get the law repealed or changed.
While you are at it, don't forget to contact your Federal representatives and demand that the FMVSS be changed, as well.
Good luck.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
Again:
"Illinois General Assembly
Public Act 093-0344
"(b) Performance ability of brakes.
1. The service brakes upon any motor vehicle or
combination of vehicles operating on a level surface
shall be adequate to stop such vehicle or vehicles when
traveling 20 miles per hour within a distance of 30 feet
when upon dry asphalt or concrete pavement surface free
from loose material."

Can you stop your combination rig within 30 feet from 20 MPH as described in the above Illinois law?
If you can't, sorry, no, you are not "legal"!
If you can, then yes, you are legal!

Yes, but ide say all of us are traveling at 60-70mph when on the highway. So that 20mph law goes out the wimdow! At 20mph stopping a load will not over heat the brakes!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
It's near certainty that we as RVers won't be stopped/screened/random checked for towed vehicle brakes. Nor weighed nor asked to do a stopping distance test. The only place I've heard of that was serious about towed vehicle braking was British Columbia.
What's highly likely is an investigation coming out of:
An Accident
A Toad Disconnect
Some Traffic Violation
Just as an example, our RV says "Coach Brakes are intended to work at GVWR (Weight of Loaded Coach) **NOT** GCWR (Coach plus Toad/Trailer)." A LEO or accident investigator will pick up on that and establish that we did not act as a "Reasonable Man."
So let's not be Truck Stop, Jail House, Camp Fire or Key Board Lawyers. Let's just do what makes sense to stay out of Harm's Way.
Too Much Brakes? That's like "Too Much Money, Girl Too Pretty, Car Too Fast."
Towed my Pickup taking the RV to the shop. Short trip, didn't put the Brake Buddy in. On the way, Sorry I Didn't. One of those White Knuckle Stops.
Started towing the Corolla in place of the Pickup to have about 1000 pounds less back there. Glad I did.
Weighed the coach and found it right at GVWR. Upgraded its brakes. That's right, new, higher capacity components. Hurricane evacuation in loaded RV towing loaded Pickup with Brake Buddy on crowded Interstate, Glad I Did.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Again:
"Illinois General Assembly
Public Act 093-0344
from loose material."

Can you stop your combination rig within 30 feet from 20 MPH as described in the above Illinois law?
If you can't, sorry, no, you are not "legal"!
If you can, then yes, you are legal!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
mobilefleet wrote:
none of the uhaul rental tow dollies have brakes. Car trailers,yes, but tow dollies no

See. That makes no sense to me! If I tow a 4K lb Trailer I have to have brakes. But if I tow a 4K lb car on a dolly or 4 down it’s not required? Hmm.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

mobilefleet
Explorer
Explorer
none of the uhaul rental tow dollies have brakes. Car trailers,yes, but tow dollies no

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about "most states", but here in Montana you must have red reflectors, or a red flag, or red lights on the rear of a load if it extends more than two feet beyond the lights. Most vehicles have reflectors built into the tail lights.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT

elcheapo
Explorer
Explorer
Same thing with just using the tow dolly tail lights on your dolly and not having the rear of the towed vehicle with lights. Most states require lights on rear. But I have seen many being towed on a dolly without. Be Safe tow with brakes on your dolly and lights on your toad .
2016 Jayco Redhawk 29XK

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
No "grey area" at all in Illinois:
Illinopis General Assembly
Public Act 093-0344
from loose material."
Nothing "grey" about that, at all, that I can see. In fact, it is the most restrictive law that my research has ever uncovered!
Yes, I towed a 2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500, and a PT Cruiser convertible on a dolly on various trips around the country with no auxiliary braking system. Many trips crossed the Continental Divide, the Cascades, and the Sierras. No problems.
I sold my DEMCO Kar Kaddy dolly because it had no brakes. I have since realized that it was an incredibly stupid thing to do!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
No brake's on our tow dolly, towed to Alaska and back 3 time's, no problem.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
So a tow dolly sounds like a grey area? I would still call it a trailer because it is connected to a ball and has an axle and lights. And yes empty it is perfectly legal to tow, once you strap a 3k, 4k or 5k lb vehicle to it it becomes untowable to me, at least the common sense side of me thinks that. He doesn’t do any mechanical work so anything it needs I’ll be doing. It has the ability to add brakes, which if it were mine that is what I would do.

So now I have to ask, how many people have a braking system on their toad? whether it be built in on a 4 down toad or on a dolly axle?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
To address the basic question, the laws in some states require brakes on any trailer over 1500 lbs. unladen weight. A dolly weighs considerably less than 1500 lbs., so in those states no brakes is perfectly legal.
In some states it is questionable if a dolly is legally a "trailer", according to the statutes. If it is not a "trailer" under the law, it is not required to comply with the laws regarding trailer brakes. In those states, a dolly probably does not have to be titled or registered, and does not require a license plate.
In some states, any trailer over 3000 lbs. GVWR must have brakes, often on all wheels. Again, there are often exemptions to the law.
So, depending on the trailer braking laws in each state, a dolly without brakes may be perfectly legal, until the Braking Performance Laws come into play. Most states, and the FMVSS, have a braking performance law or regulation that states any combination of vehicles must be able to stop within a set distance (usually 40 or 45 feet) from 20 MPH on a dry, hard, clean, level surface. If the combination of vehicles can do that, it is legal. If it con't do that, better braking is required before it can operate legally. Here in Montana, that law is MCA 61-9-312.
I have never heard of any testing for compliance being done, nor have I ever read or heard about any citations for violations of the Braking Performance Law.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT