Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One of the added costs of owning our B

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Had to build a new garage that's tall enough:

We had such fun with all the different contractors - none of them had ever seen a B or even knew they existed. We showed them around by opening the back door. 😉
Now everyone wants one (although they were surprised and scared off by the cost of Bs).

We are *so* excited to have it stored inside!

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics
22 REPLIES 22

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Well since I last posted about no space we moved and now have space. The foundation for the barn was poured today. It was built in 12 foot panels with everything pre-cut. With any luck assembly can start Monday.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Heapie
Explorer
Explorer
Another added cost.
Where are you going to store the RV?
I found out the hard way. Had to move so my wife could live on one floor. Parked my RV in front of the house. Against the rules to park an RV anywhere in the development except if it would fit in the garage. To long and to high.Being a class B made no difference, but ok to park a pickup truck on your driveway. No public transportation so you have to have a second car to go to a paid lot at $80.00 a month. Closest is three miles. Sold the rv, wrong layout. Looking for a used class B, prefer a Roadtrek 190 Popular for less than $10,000.00. Almost had one. Will take time.

sdburris
Explorer
Explorer
It's always great to have storage. Helps with value.

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
Heapie wrote:
Hi Folks,
When we had an Inn on Nantucket, we kept a Ford Explorer on the main land parked on dirt at the Hi line lot. Rusted the bottom out. Whatever, always store an RV on concrete or blacktop.

Heapie.
Gravel is not too bad though is it?
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

Heapie
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks,
When we had an Inn on Nantucket, we kept a Ford Explorer on the main land parked on dirt at the Hi line lot. Rusted the bottom out. Whatever, always store an RV on concrete or blacktop.

Heapie.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
I'm jealous! Storage here on Nantucket is very dear so I lengthened the driveway next to our garage and put in some fence so the neighbors wouldn't have it in their face. All I need to do is put a latch on the gate and hang it to keep the dogs in the yard and I can call that project done.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
We had a RV Port built in Feb. this year. So much love it.

See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
pasusan wrote:
That's one beautiful garage!
Thanks. We kind of like the setting too. That photo was taken 11 years ago when the LTV was about a year old. This one was taken yesterday.

David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
AsheGuy wrote:
We built our garage expressly for our new Class B with a 10 foot door and planned for it to be our only RV. That has worked out since we have now had it for 12 years and 140K+ miles. But building it to fit our one-and-only RV has another advantage. It puts the throttle on getting carried away, not that we ever would. 🙂

That's one beautiful garage!

href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
All I can say is that if you have any way to store your RV indoors (or at least out of the sun) - go for it! Our then 10-yr old Class C looked like new when we sold it - mainly because it was garaged
Totally agree! That's why our 33 yo truck and 27 yo trailer still look like new. And we were lucky to find a B that had been stored inside.

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Davydd wrote:
I thought about building a garage for my B but then we sold our house and 1-1/2 acres and bought into an HOA development. Now I am glad I procrastinated. Instead I bought into a garage condo development of 271 units with security, a dump station and a community power soap/rinse wash stall with portable stairs to wash the roof. The garage is heated with a gas furnace with electrical power. The door is 14 foot tall and the space is 18' x 45'. It is an investment and I expect to sell it or my heirs to sell it for a profit. Most of the other owners are classic car collectors, RVers or boat owners. It's another alternative and better than rental storage or if you can't physically build on your lot.

That sounds like a little slice of paradise!

We don't ever want to move because we also have an 1895 barn that we love and are able to store our other rig in.

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
We built our garage expressly for our new Class B with a 10 foot door and planned for it to be our only RV. That has worked out since we have now had it for 12 years and 140K+ miles. But building it to fit our one-and-only RV has another advantage. It puts the throttle on getting carried away, not that we ever would. 🙂

David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
All I can say is that if you have any way to store your RV indoors (or at least out of the sun) - go for it! Our then 10-yr old Class C looked like new when we sold it - mainly because it was garaged
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
I thought about building a garage for my B but then we sold our house and 1-1/2 acres and bought into an HOA development. Now I am glad I procrastinated. Instead I bought into a garage condo development of 271 units with security, a dump station and a community power soap/rinse wash stall with portable stairs to wash the roof. The garage is heated with a gas furnace with electrical power. The door is 14 foot tall and the space is 18' x 45'. It is an investment and I expect to sell it or my heirs to sell it for a profit. Most of the other owners are classic car collectors, RVers or boat owners. It's another alternative and better than rental storage or if you can't physically build on your lot.

Edit to replace photo that was previously deleted.
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 WB 2500 Class B
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Class B