cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Doggie car sickness

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
My 6 month old pup has started getting car sick anytime we're on curvy roads. In Idaho, that basically means anytime I'm out of the city. I'm hoping you all have some tips to help with this.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H
13 REPLIES 13

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
No breakfast + keeping the back windows open seem to be the ticket for miss Casper. She did just fine on the drive there and back.

Thanks so much for the tips!

Explorer II
Explorer II
Subscribed.
I came on for the same issue with a 5 month old Yorkie. We start our travels on Monday. We have tried keeping him in his carrier, riding on our lap, window down... So far nothing seems to work.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
My next road trip is for Thanksgiving. The vet prescribed Cerenia in case the other tips don't work. I've also been taking the pup for regular drives on curvy roads, and she seems fine as long as there is a window open. Hopefully this trip is more comfortable for her. (I get sea sick myself, so I know how miserable it is.)

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
DO NOT GIVE ANY DRUG, Dramamine included, based on any internet recommendation. While well intended, a poster can give bad advice that could become life threatening. There is always the possibility an evil poster will deliberately give dangerous advice. ALWAYS CONSULT YOUR VETERINARIAN BEFORE ADMINISTERING ANY DRUG.

510dogmom
Explorer
Explorer
How much Dramamine do you use per pound? I have a 10 pound Chi mix that I foster and he does not do well in cars. I have yet to try the RV.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
Dramamine. We have been using it 30 minutes before we leave home with our 13 yo chibeagle. She has always got carsick. Works great

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen those seat cover things. I need to see if they will fit my truck.

Thanks for the things to try. I feel bad for the poor girl!

TugCE
Explorer
Explorer
Our Macy got car sick on even a short 30 min ride. Once I put a Pet Seat Cover in she was much better. This cover connects to the headrests on the Back Seat and the Head Rests on the Front Seats. This way they can not slide off the seat. I think this allowed her to be more comfortable and feel safer which lead to a calmer tummy.

Petsmart sells them.
I am a Retired U.S. Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
05 Chevy 2500 4x4 D/A with Helper Springs and Air Ride Air Bags
(06 R-Vision RW3360 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler) - Totaled by Irma 2017
97 FLTCI converted into a Roadsmith Trike by The Trike Shop of Daytona

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
Agree they usually grow out of it, and good advise not to feed before trips if possible. As a natural remedy, you can try ginger tablet. It's known to calm the stomach. I'd check with a vet on its use, and dosage first, just in case. Good luck.
Carl
2007 National RV, Sea Breeze

dturm
There are several meds that can help, some OTC other prescription. Consult your vet for appropriate med and dose. These are pretty effective in treating car sickness.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
At that age it's fairly common. I have found that getting them to lay down can help. Seems standi g on those spindly teenage legs can make those curves worse.

Try an open window and a closed window - one dog will be better with a closed window, another will be better with an open window.

Some dogs do better in the back seat, some in the front seat. Some do better being able to see out the window, some with no window view.

Just try different ways, keep it positive, and don't let him get dehrydrated.

Most dogs grow out of it after a while. I had a foster dog who threw up within 10 minutes of getting in the car. I adopted her out ans 6 months later she was living fulltimein an RV and had her bed in the backseat of the pickup. She never threw up again and traveled all over the continent.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

I like having her along, and she likes to come. I just need to figure out how to keep her tummy happy.

janechucknicode
Explorer
Explorer
It is all in the feeding time. When you are ready to go make sure you do not feed the pup before 1 hour before and take it for a walk 1/2 hour before. This my help.

Poor pooch,