cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2017 Thor Freedom Elite 29FE / need opinions

sandyhu248
Explorer
Explorer
Seriously considering purchasing a brand new 2017 Thor Freedom Elite 29FE. Any information and opinions (good or bad) would be greatly appreciated. Looked at the unit today a Camping world. Got a price of $66,000 before my trade. Im not familiar with Thor as far as workmanship and durability. This is a major purchase so of course we are hoping to buy a unit that will last many years. We have had 2 MH's in the past, a 1984 class A Holiday Rambler and currently have a 1997 Coachman Pathfinder class C. Both were bought used and were 15 on more years old when we bought them, so we didn't have too much money invested in them. Thanks in advance!!
27 REPLIES 27

ThePowells
Explorer
Explorer
Sandy, I don't know where you are, but if anywhere close to Raleigh, go by D&H on 64 between Apex and Jordan Lake. We bought a 2017 Thor Quantum from there, and the coach has been great. It has been back to D&H twice since March 5. Once was for a minor repair that took 30-45 minutes and most of that was waiting for adhesive to dry, and second was to get propane on the way to Jordan Lake. We have shop time at the factory scheduled for the last week in February for what are mostly minor issues and basically cosmetic, but one that I wouldn't want any dealer to try since it is a fabricated piece. We cannot complain at all about our coach, our relationship with D&H, or our relationship with Thor.
I don't know what your timetable is, but the Raleigh show is February 23-25. D&H and Campers Inn will be there with the Thor line and Kevin Mullis from Thor will probably be there. Of the two shows last year, there seemed to be much more at the spring show. We may be there mid day Friday before going to Indiana.

Take your time and don't stress. Unless you are locked into a train of thought, think about 2 days at the show.

One last thought to leave you with. Thor and it's subsidiary brands are about 75-80% of the new RV sales market. Therefore, all things being equal, then they would reasonably be expected to have the same percentage of the complaints. I am a voracious reader, and I not only read the Class C and Thor forums, I also read about every one else's. EVERY maker has complaints and issues, and along every makers lines, entry level units have more complaints than high end models. That even goes for Tiffin and Newmar. Then, more people will take to the internet to complain than will take time to praise.

If you have any questions, please feel free to IM me. it may take a few days for me to see it, but I will respond.

sandyhu248
Explorer
Explorer
The saga continues....Got a call from the sales manager, Patrick, at Camping world yesterday. Apparently the camping world store where we looked at the Freedom Elite is under new management. Both the sales and services managers have been replaced as well.(the sales guy Danny, had told us this was in process 2 weeks ago) He offered us a pretty good deal on 2017 29FE that we were interested in. He has already promised us a fairly good trade value for our current RV and wants us to bring it to them to look at to see if he may be able to get us a higher amount for it. He admitted that he really has to get the 2017's off the lot and will work with us to get us the deal that we are happy with. Sooooo.....what to do. We really liked the Freedom Elite 29FE that we look at. It had the floor plan that I like. Plenty of travel room for our dogs. Has the outdoor cook area (loved that). Not the top of the line as far a fit and finish, but I can live with that. Full warranty etc,etc.....
We have been looking at RV's for a few weeks, both new and late model used, but what we are finding are either way out of our price range or are just not what we really want. We looked at a couple of class A's but they are either way too big, or not big enough. We have decided that the class C would suit our needs.
So, I told him that I am NOT comfortable with the reputation of their service dept. He transferred me to the Service manager who assured me that "things are going to change around here". And if we have any problems in the future with their service dept, to call him direct. Ok....could be a bunch of ****, but were gonna give them a chance and take our RV to them tomorrow. Will look at the new RV again ( have looked at it about 3 times already...) We will see what kind bottom line deal they offer. :?

sandyhu248
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
sandyhu248 wrote:
We have 4 dogs ....

Boy-O-Boy .... you get 4 gold medals!

We have only one new pup that we're frantically trying to get potty trained before our upcoming RV camping trip around Thanksgiving - and that training is driving us crazy (and probably the pup too)! ๐Ÿ˜‰

too funny!! Good luck with the training! All of our pets are rescues, 2 dogs are "side of the highway" rescues and 2 were shelter dogs. The cat just made his way to us about 7 years ago. They do pretty good traveling. Just gets a little hectic when we stop for potty time!

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
sandyhu248 wrote:
We have 4 dogs ....

Boy-O-Boy .... you get 4 gold medals!

We have only one new pup that we're frantically trying to get potty trained before our upcoming RV camping trip around Thanksgiving - and that training is driving us crazy (and probably the pup too)! ๐Ÿ˜‰
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

sandyhu248
Explorer
Explorer
I learn soooo much when reading the posts on this site!!! Lots of things to consider when looking for my next RV.
We looked at a couple MHs this past weekend. We really liked the 2015 Thor MotorCoach A.C.E 27.1 It was really nice and you could tell that the previous owners had taken care of it. Very clean inside and out. Unfortunately there is not much room once the slide is brought back in. It only had a U-shaped dinette and no sofa. We have 4 dogs and a cat (don't judge ) and we take all of them with us when we visit family up north for holidays and things like that. We have to have enough room for the pets and their travel crates. We will have to keep looking!!!
Thanks for all the helpful information. It give me things to consider that I would have never even thought about.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Freedom Elite is a Camping World brand, over the years different RVs so branded came from various manufacturers. If you are shopping new, and for lowest price, you will be shopping different Camping World RV dealers. If you are trading, you would be shopping Camping World RV dealers for the lowest trading difference, quoted price for the new RV becomes irrelevant except for tax purposes.

If you have reservations about dealing with Camping World, similar models from Thor Motorcoach will be found in their FourWinds and Chateau brands at Thor dealers. These will have differences in trim, standard fittings, options etc. Freedom Elite gets built to a lower price point than what goes out to independent dealerships.

$66,000 today for a new C that large is a very low price. When I was shopping in 2005 the lowest price for a new 28-foot C was right around $50,000, for either FourWinds 5000, Jayco's Escapade (no longer made) or Forest River's Sunseeker (substantially upgraded since then). All three were popular at the time in rental fleets, roughly equivalent to Coachman's Pathfinder, which was their rental market line until they introduced Freedom below the Freelander. After looking at all of these, and many used models, I ended up buying a used Itasca Spirit for $58,000, as I preferred the better box construction and detail finish, and my wife preferred the trim, decor, and included features, compared to the rental-grade new models we had been looking at.

But if price is most important to you, you are not likely to find anything new at a lower price than CW's Freedom Elite, providing you can make a good deal, not buying at MSRP.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ron's list is very good. I'm sure that he probably spend a lot of time putting it together.

Here's a few other Class C design and convenience things to consider. Decide which ones are important to you when looking for a Class C. Our Winnebago Spirit line Class C meets most of these criteria - by pure luck because we didn't consider or know about any of this when shopping:

1. How large are the outside storage cabinets and how many are there? These cabinets can be taller in a Class C designed as a "basement" model. You can tell if a Class C has a basement design by looking at the floor of the cab and the floor of the coach. If the coach floor is higher than the floor of the cab (in other words there is a step up between them), then it's a basement design and most likely has outside storage cabinets are taller.

2. A basement model Class C will most likely also have a shorter climb up into the cabover bed because of the coach floor being higher than the cab floor.

3. Do the outside storage cabinets have metal walls and bottoms or are they fiberglass? (steel is superior)

4. Are the cab running boards aluminum or fiberglass? (aluminum is superior)

5. Is the freshwater tank at least 35-40 gallons ... not including at least 6 more gallons in the hot water heater?

6. Is the propane tank at least 14-18 gallons?

7. Is the total capacity of the grey water tank plus black water tank at least 60 gallons and is their plumbing and valves layed out so that they can be combined together if necessary when drycamping so as to extend the time between dumpings?

8. Can the hot water heater be powered by both propane and 120V AC?

9. Is there a full size spare tire included with the RV?

10. Is there a built-in ladder for access to the roof when on trips?

11. Are the rear wheel wells lined with steel so that a rear tire blowout isn't so likely to damage the coach?

12. Are the roof vent lids also covered with vent covers so that you can have the vents open in heavy rains and high winds?

13. Are the engine exhaust manifolds shielded so that the cab floor doesn't get so hot when traveling in warm weather?

14. Is all exterior plumbing mounted up high so that you can't see it - or catch it - on a curb or rock or tree root?

15. Is the black water drain hose stored conveniently in it's own outside cabinet instead of in a long square tube on the back of the coach?

16. Are the cab mirrors remotely controlled and do they tip up enough so that the driver can see way up to the rear roof corners to help miss high tree limes when backing into camp sites?

17. Is the toilet mounted on a raised pedestal (not the best), instead of right on the same level as the bathroom floor?

18. Is there a water pump switch on the bathroom wall reachable while on the commode?

19. Is there a bathroom roof vent with and exhaust fan with it's switch on the bathroom wall reachable while on the commode?

20. Does it come with curtains to block off the cabover bed, the cab area, and the other sleeping areas?

21. Is there a night light built-in down near the floor surface, near the bathroom area entrance, and with it's switch mounted conveniently near the bathroom entrance?

22. Are all coach storage drawers mounted on steel slides and do they have gravity locks so they can't come open on rough roads?

23. Do the doors on the outside storage cabinets have the convenient drop-shut latches?

24. Does it have an automatic step?

25. Does the automatic step when retracted tuck neatly and safely up into an opening in the coach wall ... or when retracted does it sill hang below the coach wall to maybe get hung up on things such as curbs?

26. Is the built-in generator installed well enough to be relatively quiet from the outside and comfortably quiet from the inside on long run-times for drycamping air conditioning and/or battery charging?

27. Is the built-in generator mounted up high enough so it's bottom as not visible from outside the coach nor exposed to possibe damge from hitting things?

28. Is the storage area under any and all coach dining seats completely available for storage - or is some of it taken up by the furnace or water heater?

29. Are the air conditioning and furnace outlet ducts distributed throughout the coach and at each duct can their air be aimed any direction, and can the air conditioning ducts' amount of airflow be adjusted at each duct (too much cold A/C air can be annoying when napping in a bed or eating at the table).

30. Are there speakers back in the coach for the cab radio?

31. Are there plenty of 12 volt receptacles and 120 volt outlets throughout the coach?

32. Does the coach have room included for at least two coach batteries of at least two 12 volt Group 27 batteries or two 6 volt golf cart batteries ... just in case the capacity is needed when not on hookups?

33. Is there an outside 120V AC receptacle?

Good luck with your search!
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Sandy,

I post this now and then when I read of someone looking for a better built rig. You may find it interesting.

Ron Dittmer
----------------------------------------------------------------

New, used, or well used, when shopping for a conventional class B+ or C, the most important consideration is how it is constructed. This post outlines construction methods which are most affordable and methods that cost more, but are built to hold up much better to the elements and also the punishment of the road.

Some motor home manufactures offer different levels of quality through their various model lines. Instead of providing a list of brands to consider, it is best to identify what "Better" is.

When shopping for a motor home, don't get distracted with "Eye Candy" and "Square Footage". You want to pay close attention to how the house is constructed. Water infiltration is the number one killer of motor homes, rotting them away long before anything is worn out. Once water gets inside, it is like termites. By the time you realize there is a problem, a lot of damage has already occurred. Also consider that mold & mildew can grow inside the walls which then you have a health hazard. My advise focuses on identifying a reliably well sealed motor home.

#1 BEST (Very Expensive, Can Be 1.5 times the cost of Second Best)
NO structural seam work. The brand Coach House is a fine example. It is seamless, made from a mold. The only places where water can leak is cutouts for windows, entry door, roof-top vents & a/c unit, storage compartments & maintenance access, all of which are in areas of very low stress. Because they have a seamless shell, these motor homes have a limited selection of sizes.

#2 SECOND BEST
Common, Affordable, & comes in Many Sizes so this is my main focus
I own an example of this type. My Rig Here manufactured by Phoenix USA.
Made in sections, but assembled in a way that greatly reduces the threat of water damage. Here are the good things you want to look for.

a) Structural Seams Away From Corners
When a motor home is driven, the house bounces, resonates, shakes, and leans countless times, representing a endless series of earthquakes. Corner seams see greater stresses than seams located elsewhere. Corner seams are more easily split, especially when the caulk gets brittle with age & exposure to the sun. One extremely bad bump in the road can instantly breach a corner seam. Seams hold up much better when they are brought in from the corners in lesser stressed areas.

b) A Seamless Over-The-Van Front Cap
A huge bed above the vanโ€™s roof is the most vulnerable area of a motor home. No matter how well they are made, that long frontal over-hang resonates when the RV is driven making it common for seams to split there, most troublesome with age & exposure to the elements. HERE is an example, one of many water-damage threads I have read. Scroll down in that thread to see pictures of the real damage.

The small front aerodynamic cap of a B+ design HERE eliminates the overhang which eliminates most of the resonation, along with most seam work.

There are a few conventional โ€œCโ€ Designs (big over-van bed) where that area is seamless. If you absolutely must have that huge bed, then look for a seamless bucket-like design. The Itasca Navion Here is a fine example. Some manufactures as of late offer a partial bucket design with fewer seams located in less-stressed areas. Some manufacture models like the Minnie Winnie and the Nexus Phantom utilize a compromising partial bucket design, making it a better choice compared to a fully seamed cab-over bed.

If you plan to accommodate more than 2 people, having that large extra cab-over bed will be extremely useful.

c) A Crowned Roof
Rain and snow melt runs off a crowned roof. A flat roof will sag over time, then water puddles around heavy roof-top items like the a/c unit. Water eventually finds it's way inside after gaskets & caulk have degraded from age, sun, and change in seasons.

d) Rolled-Over-The-Edge seamless Fiberglass Roof Sheathing
A single sheet of fiberglass as shown HERE that rolls over the right & left sides of the roof, down to the wall. The overlapping of fiberglass to the wall provides a good water seal and the fiberglass sheathing holds up better than roofs made of sheet rubber or thin plastic called TPO, which require more attention to keep your RV well protected.

e) A Five Sided Rear Wall Cap
A five sided back wall moves the seams around to the sides to areas of much less stress as seen HERE. The rear wall resembles a shallow rectangular cooking pan standing on it's side. Like the example, some rear wall sections are constructed with an integrated spare tire compartment and rear storage compartment. Not only are they convenience features, but that rear wall/cap offers a solid double-wall for exceptional strength which is more resistant to flexing the adjoining seam work. It helps in keeping the house together.

Don't be fooled. There are a select few manufactures who add rear wall sectional styling pieces over an entry level rear corner seam design which gives the appearance of a 5-sided pan design. You can easily tell by noting the sections & seams between them and the flat back wall that remains exposed.

Bigger Will Be Weaker
The size & floor plan you select MUST FIRST meet your needs before this consideration.
The bigger the house, the weaker the structure will be. Consider two cardboard boxes made from the exact same corrugated material. The smaller box would naturally be stronger. It will be more resistant to bending, twisting, and other types of flexing. So if you are on the fence between models, the smaller one will be your stronger choice.

Potentially Troublesome Construction
Entry level motor homes are made with seams in corners and finished off with trim, including the massive cab-over bed. Their roof is flat and finished with rubber or TPO. They are most affordable, and come in all sizes. HERE is one such example. If considering this construction type, keep in-mind they require more regular care with bi-annual inspections. Plan to use a caulking gun now and then. When buying a used one, consider that you really don't know how well the previous owner maintained it. Buying new or used, that construction method will be counting on you to be a good non-neglectful owner.

There are also the rare exception of the Lazy Daze which has seam work in the corners, but the substructure and sealing method is of the highest quality that it holds up like a seamless body. It's excellent sectional construction methods are not commonly found in other brands. I am no expert on this, but I'd give it a #1.5 Almost Like Best

About The Chassis
The most popular is the Ford E350 and E450 with the V10 engine. The Sprinter diesel is a popular alternative to the E350 in the smaller sizes. Also within this past year is the recent introduction of the Ford Transit. The GM 3500 & 4500 chassis are not popular but are a very good choice for the right application. Any of the chassis mentioned made since 1998 are real good, new or used. If you plan to tow a car or heavy trailer, be aware that the Sprinter & Transit will be least powered. People who tow with them naturally take it slower.

If considering a current-day โ€œsmallโ€ class B+ or C motor home, here is a comparison between the two current main chassis contenders, the Sprinter with the V6 diesel engine and the Ford E350 with the V10 gasoline engine.

Advantages Of The Mercedes Sprinter With Diesel Engine
- Offers a 35%-50% improvement in fuel economy over the Ford-V10, when both are loaded and driven identically.
- More ergonomic driver compartment with more leg room.
- Comfort continues with a car-like feel & quiet ride.
- A grander view out the windshield
- Made by Mercedes which people are attracted to.

Advantages Of The Ford E350 with V10 Engine
- Given identical motor homes both brand and model, the Ford is around $13,000 MSRP cheaper
- The Ford V10 engine has 50% more horse power and torque
- The Ford E350 chassis handles 1430 pounds more weight.
- The E350 is able to tow a heavier load.
- The E350 rear axle is significantly wider which translates to better stability.
- In most places traveled, gasoline costs less than diesel fuel
- The Sprinter diesel has limited mechanical service shops around North America
- The Sprinter diesel is typically outfitted with a propane generator. Propane is a critical fuel for RV operations, and generally needs to be rationed when dry camping.
- This Next Point Is Debatable But Still Worth Noting....The V6 Sprinter diesel engine is not allowed to idle for extended periods. This limitation is detrimental when you need a/c but there are generator restrictions, you are low on propane, or you have a mechanical failure with the generator or roof a/c. The Ford offers a great backup system. The V10 can safely idle for hours on end, heating, cooling, and battery charging, all valuable if you have a baby, pets, or health/respiratory issues.

You decide what your priorities are, and pick the appropriate chassis. There are some really sweet motor homes being built exclusively on the Sprinter chassis, such as the Winnebago Navion and View. Others like Phoenix USA build their model 2350 and 2400 on both the Sprinter and Ford E350. They will even build it on the heaviest duty E450 upon request for a nominal fee. People who request an E450 for a small motor home, tow heavier things like for example, a multi-horse trailer. You can even special order a E350 & E450 4x4.

There is so much cool stuff offered in recent years on the Sprinter and most recently on the new Ford Transit.

The Ford Transit Chassis
This chassis has the potential to dominate the class B+ & C motor home market in the smaller sizes. According to Ford's website, the Transit DRW chassis is offered in the 156", and 178" wheel base, and is rated as high as 10,360 GVWR. Ford offers a motor home package specific for the RV industry. It's diesel engine compares to the Sprinter in power and fuel economy, but is more affordable and is easily serviced at Ford service centers, just like the E350 & E450. The cab has a much lower stance than the Sprinter making it much more friendly to get into and out from for people in their later years. It's more like a mini-van rather than a standard van. The Transit's lower cab also offers roomier over-head bunks that are easier to access.

The Dodge Promaster 3500 Cut-Away Chassis
This front wheel drive chassis is another recent entry in the RV industry. I am concerned over it's lack of load capability as reflected with single free-wheeling rear wheels. I have been reading posts written by new Promaster RV owners stating they are over-weight with just two people, some personal effects and food. They say they can't carry water and never a 3rd person. I would not be comfortable with such a limited load range in a B+ or C. This chassis does seem to be a good option in the "B" motor home market.

The Chevy 3500 & 4500 Chassis
Unfortunately this chassis is not more popular, primarily because GM sort-of gave up on competing with the Ford E350 & E450. It offers more interior comfort than the Ford, but not as much as the Sprinter. It's power & weight ratings are a little less than their Ford counter-parts making them a great chassis for all but the heaviest of class Cs. They are also a little better on fuel consumption. One thing to keep in-mind, if you are counting inches in storing your rig, the Chevy is a little longer than the Ford by a number of inches which was critical for us with our garage as seen HERE with our Ford 2007 E350 rig. That could be the reason why the Chevy has a little more interior driver/passenger leg room.

Engine Power Ratings of Ford, MB-Sprinter, Chevy, and Dodge
Ford E350 & E450 - 6.8L-V10, 305hp, 420ft
Ford Transit Diesel - 3.2L-I5, 185hp, 350ft
Mercedes Sprinter Diesel - 3.0L-V6, 188hp, 325ft
Chevy 3500 & 4500 - 6.0L-V8, 323hp, 373ft
Dodge Promaster - 3.6L-V6 (GVW only 9,300 pounds)

sandyhu248
Explorer
Explorer
Aadkins101 wrote:
Iโ€™d love to know what you purchased, if anything. We were looking at the Freedom Elite, but no more now that we have read the comments.

We are going to Myrtle Beach tomorrow to look at the dealers there. Will keep you posted. ๐Ÿ™‚

Owinsmom
Explorer
Explorer
sandyhu248 wrote:
So since we have decided to pass on the Freedom Elite (thanks for all the input), we are now in search of a late model,reliable, under 30', class C or class A MH. My "must haves" are a right/blind side camera, an all in one bathroom, and windows in the bedroom that can be opened even with slide in. One thing I don't want is a TV on the outside of the RV. Some of the RVs we have looked at have had THREE televisions!!!!! It's just my husband and I, so 1 tv will be sufficient. ๐Ÿ™‚ RV shopping will be fun!!!

What a great attitude. I am not finding it fun at all.:D

Owinsmom
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
Owens mom several telltale signs,
1. Search new units of a manufacturer on RV trader, when all the cheapies are from the same line thats a pretty good indicator.
2. When the the manufacturers website hides a product line its a good indicator. ie
Go to Thormotorcoach.com and the Freedom Elites dont show up, search for freedom elites and they come up as a separate website.
Winnebago does the same with their 5th wheels. www.winnebagoind.com
Voyager units must be searched separately.

Thank you. Guess we will also cross Thor off of our list.

Aadkins101
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™d love to know what you purchased, if anything. We were looking at the Freedom Elite, but no more now that we have read the comments.

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
We test drove a brand new Thor FE at Camping World in Burlington, WA.

The RV had so many rattles and bangs while rolling down I-5 it was deafening.

The 15 year old Winnie we bought is almost dead quite.

The FE sounded like it would rattle apart in no time. Thor sells a bunch of Rv's and folks love em. Personally, Thor is on our "do not buy" list.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

sandyhu248
Explorer
Explorer
So since we have decided to pass on the Freedom Elite (thanks for all the input), we are now in search of a late model,reliable, under 30', class C or class A MH. My "must haves" are a right/blind side camera, an all in one bathroom, and windows in the bedroom that can be opened even with slide in. One thing I don't want is a TV on the outside of the RV. Some of the RVs we have looked at have had THREE televisions!!!!! It's just my husband and I, so 1 tv will be sufficient. ๐Ÿ™‚ RV shopping will be fun!!!