Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Snowbirds: Florida's Busy
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Florida's Busy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
spud1957

NB

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/17 04:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Decided to head down to Florida the first of January. Somewhat surprised the number of parks are booked. After a couple dozen emails and phone calls we got in a few places.

I didn't want to commit to one place for the whole winter since it's our first winter trip down.

This is what I got.

January - Southern Oaks RV Resort, 5 miles north of The Villages
February - Christmas RV Park, Christmas
March - Orchid Lake RV Resort, New Port Richey

S

Dog Trainer

Richmond Mi.

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/17 06:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would think because of the storms this year, that there are a number of parks closed for repair. That leaves fewer sites and yet the recent boom in rving has the demand at all time highs. also people are booking early to get the best sites. I am glad we have our park model in central fl. to go to for the winter.

2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

rr2254545

Central Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/17 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dog Trainer wrote:

I would think because of the storms this year, that there are a number of parks closed for repair. That leaves fewer sites and yet the recent boom in rving has the demand at all time highs. also people are booking early to get the best sites. I am glad we have our park model in central fl. to go to for the winter.

Its this way every year - you have to book about a year out

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee, Air Force One, Blue Ox Avail tow bar
330 Campgrounds,74K miles driven in our motor homes and 1580 nights camping since we retired in July 2009

Triker33

Homestead, FL

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/17 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Decided to head down to Florida the first of January. Somewhat surprised the number of parks are booked.

No surprise as it has been that way for years.
If you find a place you like. Make a reservation for Jan. 2019 before you leave. That is what many do.

Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

John&Joey

Summer-North,Winter-South

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/17 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You just struck the nerve to the reason we don't go to Florida anymore. We had the privilege of knowing old Florida before the sudden boom of retired people coming down along the east coast. For us Florida has been spoiled forever.

Since hurricane Irma hasn't scared the newbie's away, I'm guessing that Florida will just keep getting overrun with people. It's no longer our cup of tea.

NanciL

Bakersville, NC,/Key Largo FL

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/17 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

John&Joey wrote:

You just struck the nerve to the reason we don't go to Florida anymore. We had the privilege of knowing old Florida before the sudden boom of retired people coming down along the east coast. For us Florida has been spoiled forever.

Since hurricane Irma hasn't scared the newbie's away, I'm guessing that Florida will just keep getting overrun with people. It's no longer our cup of tea.

"Old Florida" is still there. You just have to know where to go to find it.

Jack L (Who has been enjoying south Florida for the past forty years)

Jack & Nanci

spud1957

NB

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/17 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

John&Joey wrote:

To each his own.

Perhaps I was able to get the sites I did because you no longer come. For that I thank you.[emoticon]

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/17 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stayed at Southern Oaks while visiting relatives in The Villages. Nice little place. Camping World right next door has a weekly special on propane. The seasonals always have something going on (poker etc) and welcome the transients.

Really big weekend flea market a few miles north on 441.

If you want to find a taste of what Florida used to be, head out the Panhandle on US98.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

John&Joey

Summer-North,Winter-South

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/17 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spud1957 wrote:

John&Joey wrote:

To each his own.

Perhaps I was able to get the sites I did because you no longer come. For that I thank you.[emoticon]

That's only the very first step of the busy. And yes, you're very welcome to have my old spot. Enjoy the new Florida.

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/17 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I certainly agree about the busy part. Years go we would visit the in-laws in Sun City Center, just south of Tampa. Our first trip back to the area after a number of years was 2 years ago and the increase in population was evident. New developments going up everywhere.

On that same trip we stayed in the W. Palm area to spend Thanksgiving with my brother. Spent most of the time waiting to turn left. No thanks. All yours Spud.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Florida's Busy
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS