cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Buyer Question

wwarren07
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are planning on buying our new fifth wheel next spring or fall. We know we would like either the Jayco Eagle or the North Point. We are going to be full timing. But I'm not sure if the North Point is to big to travel the country with.
The vehicle we will be towing with is a 2017 F350 6.7L dually with 4.10 gear.
Any input would be appreciated.
2017 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7L Turbo Diesel 4.10
20 REPLIES 20

wwarren07
Explorer
Explorer
Well...
We were at the dealer when I posted that and was trying to gain as much info as possible.
(If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.)
And the deal fell through. So now I have learned from that experience.

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
wwarren07 wrote:
My wife and I are planning on buying our new fifth wheel next spring or fall. We know we would like either the Jayco Eagle or the North Point. We are going to be full timing. But I'm not sure if the North Point is to big to travel the country with.
The vehicle we will be towing with is a 2017 F350 6.7L dually with 4.10 gear.
Any input would be appreciated.

I too, am wondering why your story has changed from the one you posted in August stating you already bought a new Jayco??? Why not just tell it like it is and ask questions that are relevent to the real story? I'm a little confused about your motivation. Anyway, in answer to your last question, I just bought a new 37' Jayco FW about 10 months ago. I don't travel around the country but wouldn't be afraid to go anywhere with this rig. It's a little big but I'm careful. I appreciate the extra comfort of a larger trailer. I tow with a 2500 Duramax with no problem and I would think your F350 could easily handle any size trailer out there. You just won't be able to park one of the 42 footers anywhere you want.

Only_True_Mosno
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
It will undoubtedly be to big for some sites and not for others. Now, go back to your post and re-read it. Where in that post do you say anything that would tell us how big a fifth wheel you are planning to get? Also, how are we supposed to know where your planning on taking it? So how can we give you any information that you could use, if all we know is you are using a dually to pull with?

I believe this is a beginning RV thread. (?) Many of us on here arenโ€™t that experienced, and rely on Senior Members that have been doing this for years. We all may not post enough relevant information for an accurate answer, but if we donโ€™t, I think a more courteous, patient follow up would be nicer than a scolding. We are newbies looking for answers and help.

As an example I would think a Ford F350 dually would pull 95% of what is on the market? Am I mistaken? I definitely could be wrong but thatโ€™s my newbie two cents. Thanks for all the great information on this website and to those who provide it. It is appreciated.
2018 Montana 3721RL

2018 Ford F350 Diesel

Life Comes Down to a Simple Choice...Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying...

wwarren07
Explorer
Explorer
Great advice about state parks.
Thank you for the info.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
5-6 foot difference between different models of Northpoint.

You want to know if it is too large for you to take around the country. Which one 36 footer or 42 footer?

If you plan on using state parks, you may have some issues finding spots. Less of a problem with the 36 footer vs the 42 footer.

No difference RVing with a 40 ft Northpoint and a 40 ft from another brand.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
wwarren07 wrote:
Models(floor plans) wonโ€™t make that much of a difference. An Eagle is about 5โ€™ or 6โ€™ shorter than a North Point.
My truck will tow any Jayco model, so Iโ€™m not worried about that.
What Iโ€™m trying to ask is, do people normally travel the country (the USA) with a rig as big as the North Point? Or is that something that you normally park and live in?
Iโ€™m really kind of trolling for anyone that may have a North Point or Eagle and travels the USA full time.
I donโ€™t understand why this is so hard. But I do understand that there are other variables involved.
I just would like to know if there are people doing it, and what is thier opinion.

Stop being so VAGUE

HOW LONG are the Jaycos you are considering.

Your question is similar to "How much rope is needed" ?

:S
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

wwarren07
Explorer
Explorer
Models(floor plans) wonโ€™t make that much of a difference. An Eagle is about 5โ€™ or 6โ€™ shorter than a North Point.
My truck will tow any Jayco model, so Iโ€™m not worried about that.
What Iโ€™m trying to ask is, do people normally travel the country (the USA) with a rig as big as the North Point? Or is that something that you normally park and live in?
Iโ€™m really kind of trolling for anyone that may have a North Point or Eagle and travels the USA full time.
I donโ€™t understand why this is so hard. But I do understand that there are other variables involved.
I just would like to know if there are people doing it, and what is thier opinion.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I understand your desire not to be rude but your question is still quite vague.
A 2017 F350 dually will tow all current Northpoint and Eagle 5'ers with ease.
Neither of those brands make a model too big for a 2017 F-350 dually
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok.. so brand is settled. But, you did ask if 'they' were too big.. but without a model or a size, kinda hard for anyone to suggest they are 'too big' or not. There are plenty of different models in Eagle and Northpoint to choose from. Some larger than others.

Alot of people full time in pretty large rigs, so depending on where you want to stay, you will either be fine, or have a tough time finding spots.

My assumption of course is that you are asking about size in relationship to size of spots in campground.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
No, you are being rude. I was talking size, not manufacturer. Remember writing...โ€But I'm not sure if the North Point is to (sic) big to travel the country withโ€ or โ€œAny input would be appreciated?โ€ Write what you mean...mean what you write.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

SparkDr
Explorer
Explorer
wwarren07 wrote:
After re-reading, I stand by my original post.
I figure if some knows anything about Jayco r/vโ€™s, then they could give some good input.

Iโ€™ve done a lot of research and we chose Jayco. I realize that not everyone may agree with our choice. But there may be some that do agree with us.

So if you are a part of the Jayco community, then you could answer my question because you would know what Iโ€™m talking about.

Thank you.

Not trying to be rude. Just looking for the best answers.

Kudos to you for squashing the brand controversy early on in the process. Opinions on brand are subjective at best. We too have pretty well narrowed it down to the Eagle and North Point fivers for our next purchase. If I had to make a โ€œtodayโ€ decision, it would probably be the North Point rear den floor plan model. If full-timing, I donโ€™t hesitate to think that we would opt for the North Point.

Iโ€™ll let the weight police chime in on what your rig can or canโ€™t pull. Theyโ€™ll be along soon enough....
May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut up whenever I get too caught up in my own misconceived brilliance.

wwarren07
Explorer
Explorer
After re-reading, I stand by my original post.
I figure if some knows anything about Jayco r/vโ€™s, then they could give some good input.

Iโ€™ve done a lot of research and we chose Jayco. I realize that not everyone may agree with our choice. But there may be some that do agree with us.

So if you are a part of the Jayco community, then you could answer my question because you would know what Iโ€™m talking about.

Thank you.

Not trying to be rude. Just looking for the best answers.

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
Why did you limit yourself to those brands there are better out there

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"But I'm not sure if the North Point is to big to travel the country with."

Depends on where you want to go. Up and over the Sierras on different routes both directions will be easier the smaller you go but its mostly doable in that size. Depends on where you want to camp. Wont get into many CA state parks and for instance Olympic NP, Sequoia NP etc. but I guess you can stay outside their boundaries. Depends on how often you move. The more you move I'd suggest the smaller you go.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad