cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winterize Water Softener System

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
My coach has a water softener system installed when new by RV dealer not Newmar. It also has a water filter attached to the panel that I believe was done at Newmar. My concerns when winterizing is to insure the water filter housing and the softener system are both winterized.

To fill my coach I use a water line that comes from the side/top of compartment. Then there is another line that comes from the top of compartment and attaches to the fresh water inlet on the panel.

The previous owner believes the water softener will be winterized with antifreeze from the pump just like the faucets. That will be the case if it is in the pressurized loop after the pump. I believe the water is going through the water softener first then to the tank (to fill) or the water system if the city water line is hooked up.

There is a small spigot on one of the water softeners so I may be able to drain the water but wonder if the lines need purged. The other container I believe holds the salt so don't know if that needs antifreeze. If I can't figure out a simple way to winterize then I will be a water pump and use it to force antifreeze through the fresh water inlet hose (that feeds the softener).

Thanks
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator
00 Newmar Dutch Star 3851
11 REPLIES 11

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
In my case I just disconnected it all. Drained the water and moved both tanks in my house. I have all winter to try to figure out the system. If I figure things out I will reinstall it, or upgrade systems or just do without for now. The way this one was installed it was outside of the water system. The water went through it first then went into the tank or city water inlet so nothing to change if I leave it off.
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator

canadi-anne
Explorer
Explorer
Too late.......I wish I had read this before I drained mine. Did not know not to take top off and all the resin came out.
Does anyone know the best place to get new resin in Arizona, Casa Grande area at a reasonable price. I think it will be a costly mistake.

canadi-anne
Explorer
Explorer
Too late.......I wish I had read this before I drained mine. Did not know not to take top off and all the resin came out.
Does anyone know the best place to get new resin in Arizona, Casa Grande area at a reasonable price. I think it will be a costly mistake.

jwolf55
Explorer
Explorer
I found instruction online for on the go, Draining instructions are at the bottom.
http://www.portablewatersoftener.com/Setup
Jay Wolf
Vincennes IN
2000 National Tradewinds 7373

jwolf55
Explorer
Explorer
I have an on the go water softener, I remove it uncap in and out and turn it upside down and let the water run out Do not open the resin cap (where you put the salt for regeneration) or all your resin will come out.

Filters remove and empty.
Jay Wolf
Vincennes IN
2000 National Tradewinds 7373

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
One tank looked like a scuba tank it is closed and has some type of regulator at the top with a dial you can turn. The other tank just had one hose running to it with a top and inside was salt and water (brine?). I am not a full timer so I am considering leaving it out next season lol

wildmanbaker wrote:
OK, do you have to add salt to these tanks to regen them? Since you have 2 tanks, could it be that they are Cation and Antion tanks that need to be exchanged for fresh ones? When you said you had 2 tanks, I assumed one was resin bed and the other was for salt (brine) for regenning.
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck, let us know what you find out.
Wildmanbaker

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
I am so new to these systems. It has a very short manual that doesn't describe much. I spent some time and remove both tanks so I am good for now. I will try to learn more about this system. It was installed in 2005 and the phone number was disconnected so I have the whole winter to figure out lol
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
OK, do you have to add salt to these tanks to regen them? Since you have 2 tanks, could it be that they are Cation and Antion tanks that need to be exchanged for fresh ones? When you said you had 2 tanks, I assumed one was resin bed and the other was for salt (brine) for regenning.
Wildmanbaker

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
What is the brine tank? In my compartment this system (installed in 2000) there are 2 large blue cylinders sitting vertically. When I look online at current water softener systems they just show 1 cylinder. I didn't examine much around but I will see if I can easily remove both since it doesn't seem safe to put antifreeze through them.

wildmanbaker wrote:
If at all possible, I would remove the softener and bring it inside where it will not freeze, and the brine tank also, as it will have water in it also. I'm not real sure I would introduce RV antifreeze into the softener, as I'm not sure what it would do to the media. Yes the attaching hoses need to be drained also. For the filter, just remove the can and remove the filter, and loosely reinstall the can. Be sure not to loose the O-ring for the filter can. If you have an air source, blow down the water system using the city water hook-up. Limit air pressure to 50 psi and open each valve inside and out, then the drains. Don't forget the hot water heater, and any water lines going to the refrigerator. Also the shower hose.
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
If at all possible, I would remove the softener and bring it inside where it will not freeze, and the brine tank also, as it will have water in it also. I'm not real sure I would introduce RV antifreeze into the softener, as I'm not sure what it would do to the media. Yes the attaching hoses need to be drained also. For the filter, just remove the can and remove the filter, and loosely reinstall the can. Be sure not to loose the O-ring for the filter can. If you have an air source, blow down the water system using the city water hook-up. Limit air pressure to 50 psi and open each valve inside and out, then the drains. Don't forget the hot water heater, and any water lines going to the refrigerator. Also the shower hose.
Wildmanbaker