cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cars to avoid?

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
I plan to do some back country canoeing. I want to leave a second vehicle at the end for me to load up and drive to my other vehicle.

I want to install a tow bar to the car so that I don't have to mess with it. Basically the 2 pivot bolts and away I go.

So, for the second vehicle, what make or models should I avoid?
15 REPLIES 15

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted. Duplicate post.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, on my previous Jeep I had the Roadmaster "A" frame towbar that I just folded up and tied to the windshield tiedown loop on the hood. It also had a pin that kept the towbar in the up position. I used that for 7 years all over the country. I even left it on when using as my daily driver at home. Had many folks tell me it was not legal but fortunately none of them were LEO's. I never had a problem with it. It would look kind of silly on just about anything but a Jeep. My new Jeep uses a Ready Brute Elite. More expensive but a cleaner looking installation.

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
As far as I know, all commercially available towing setups are disconnectable in a matter of minutes. The vast majority (if not all) leave the tow bar itself with the towing vehicle when disconnected.

Not quite. There are still ball hitch tow bars available. My Roadmaster Stowmaster 6000 lb. tow bar folds up on the front of the towed vehicle, or two pins can be pulled to remove it completely.
My previous tow Bar was a fixed arm adjustable width towbar by Reese that could be removed by pulling two pins, or it could be stood up on the front of the Jeep and secured in place. Yes, I have heard that in CA that isn't legal. It is legal in Montana.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Also make sure that the towed vehicle is light enough to be towed by your towing vehicle without overloading it. Some Jeeps and 4X4 trucks can be heavy. You also might need to have a supplemental braking system in the towed vehicle. Look into the Ready Brute Elite towbar to make that simpler.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
As far as I know, all commercially available towing setups are disconnectable in a matter of minutes. The vast majority (if not all) leave the tow bar itself with the towing vehicle when disconnected. I'm still not sure what the poster is wanting that is out of the ordinary.

OP here.

I did not know they were that way.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
As far as I know, all commercially available towing setups are disconnectable in a matter of minutes. The vast majority (if not all) leave the tow bar itself with the towing vehicle when disconnected. I'm still not sure what the poster is wanting that is out of the ordinary.

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
swimmer_spe wrote:

I would love to find a manual transmission vehicle. And it sounds like that would be my best option.

Make sure you do your homework... Not all manual transmission cars can be towed 4-down.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:
You have two choices. The towbar can stay on the towed vehicle, or it can be carried by the towing vehicle. Both choices require a towbar pinned to a baseplate on the towed vehicle, which is usually bolted to the frame or sub-frame, not welded (there is little to weld to, on today's towable vehicles). There are towbars that mount to brackets on the bumpers of utility vehicles like older Jeeps, but even these are bolted on, not welded.

There is a wide (but shrinking) range of vehicles towable four down, including many older 4WD utility vehicles, many manual transmission front-drive subcompactsedans, many years of GM and Saturn compacts with 4-speed OD automatics, and a few compact or mid-size pickups with manual transmissions. My own towable vehicles have included a manual transmission 2001 Ford Ranger and a 2012 manual transmission Honda Fit.

What to avoid? Anything that can't be towed four-down. That list is a lot bigger than the list of what can be towed.

Thank you. Bolting/welding is irrelevant. Basically, I don't want to have to struggle to hook up, but I also don't want to leave the hitch on the car.

I would love to find a manual transmission vehicle. And it sounds like that would be my best option.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have two choices. The towbar can stay on the towed vehicle, or it can be carried by the towing vehicle. Both choices require a towbar pinned to a baseplate on the towed vehicle, which is usually bolted to the frame or sub-frame, not welded (there is little to weld to, on today's towable vehicles). There are towbars that mount to brackets on the bumpers of utility vehicles like older Jeeps, but even these are bolted on, not welded.

There is a wide (but shrinking) range of vehicles towable four down, including many older 4WD utility vehicles, many manual transmission front-drive subcompactsedans, many years of GM and Saturn compacts with 4-speed OD automatics, and a few compact or mid-size pickups with manual transmissions. My own towable vehicles have included a manual transmission 2001 Ford Ranger and a 2012 manual transmission Honda Fit.

What to avoid? Anything that can't be towed four-down. That list is a lot bigger than the list of what can be towed.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
I would think a small truck, Toyota or a Colorado so that you could load the canoe and gear easily.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
iirc there have been some pictures Ford Focus on here that look like a hand grenade went off under the hood. Some of their autos were real terds when they used an electronically controlled manual clutch in front of an auto trans instead of a torque converter.

There may have been some operator error on one of the postings but another one speculated that something hit the linkage which engaged and spun the engine about a zillion RPM and sent shrapnel through the hood.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
old hard top JEEP.
Off road bumper and the tow brackets welded on.
https://www.extremeterrain.com/wrangler-jeep-jk-front-bumper.html
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
swimmer_spe wrote:
rk911 wrote:
swimmer_spe wrote:
I plan to do some back country canoeing. I want to leave a second vehicle at the end for me to load up and drive to my other vehicle.

I want to install a tow bar to the car so that I don't have to mess with it. Basically the 2 pivot bolts and away I go.

so you want to leave the towbar on the toad?

I would like to just remove the 2 pivot bolts, but the thing that goes to the car will be welded to the car.

that thing is called a baseplate. pull the two pins and follow the auto mfg's steps to change from towed to driving mode...usually less than a minute...and away you go. you want a car that can be flat towed...towed on all 4-wheels. compared to the universe of cars and light trucks those that can be flat towed is a relatively short list. many (not all) jeeps, honda crv's are popular but there are others. navigate to the motorhome magazine website and look for their annual dinghy guides (they go back many years). it's free and a worthwhile read. us? we prefer jeeps.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
swimmer_spe wrote:

so you want to leave the towbar on the toad?

I would like to just remove the 2 pivot bolts, but the thing that goes to the car will be welded to the car.